The official Twilight Bashing thread...

Everything else
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The official Twilight Bashing thread...

Post by Sionnach Glic »

.50 cal armed humvee = a few hundred dead vampires.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Post by sunnyside »

Tyrr and SGs thinking is the sort of creative problem solving such a task needs (and why it's interesting).

The problem, though, is that the sparklepires are, as I understand it, about as hard to bring down as a T-1000 when it comes to mechanical damage. Crushing physical trauma simply stuns them for a while, and even being ripped up by a .50 would just put them down for a while until they reform.

Apperantly the only way to put them down for good is for them to completely burn. And while they seem to be fairly flammable they aren't quite the tinderboxes of Anne Rice where a Zippo lighter would be a fair weapon.

So you'd need something like .50 cal Raufoss rounds to maybe pull it off. And you don't have much time before the thing would go Matrix on you.

Hence the required planning and scheming.

As for their other abilities their mind reading can be blocked by a "private mind" and the seeing the future ability sounds like it's pretty spotty. Such abilities would be mitigated, toned down, and pricey, but still availible.

A factor mitigating their abilities is not being able to be too obvious in public or they get hunted down by extra badass vampires wanting to keep their existance a secret from the general populace.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

1) Raufoss rounds are highly over-rated. Plain old ball .50 cal will be plenty. Nail one of the sparklepires in the face with it and it'll empty out their skull, maybe remove everything above the neck, depends on how tough they are. After that just send in the flame throwers while they try to regrow the head.

2) In case of precognition, traps, multiple ones. Snipers, land mines, cars with a pound of Symtex on the tank. Get creative and liberal. Eventually it'll falter and then you'll just be mopping up the bits with sponge.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Tyyr wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Might be difficult. Those meyerpires pack some serious punch. Not to mention their esoteric powers. Edward's a mind reader. Alice has massively accurate precognition. Jasper can affect moods.

And... I like Carlisle. I find his story legit fascinating.
It's called a sniper rifle. Nail them from a hellacious distance.
Ricochets off their skull.

And SUnnyside has it partially right. Actually, you have to slice them into chunks and then set them on fire. And slicing them up is... very difficult.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I highly doubt it ricochets off their skull, highly, highly, highly doubt it.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Tyyr, have you read the books? Serious question, mind you.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

No I have not.

Diamond in their skin right?
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I've read all four books.

Oh, and there is no 'closed mind' with Edward unless you're Bella. She's the only one he can't read. Alice's precog allows her to beat the Stock market... well, every single damned time. As well as predict things out months in advance. She saw her future husband Jasper walk into a diner and knew right where to go. "What kept you?" Actually kinda romantic, there.

Their skin shines like diamond, but is insanely tough. Solid-steel needle shoved with their own strength won't penetrate. Fast, too. Outrun moving vehicles fast and crisscross the country fast.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I've read all four books.

Oh, and there is no 'closed mind' with Edward unless you're Bella. She's the only one he can't read. Alice's precog allows her to beat the Stock market... well, every single damned time. As well as predict things out months in advance. She saw her future husband Jasper walk into a diner and knew right where to go. "What kept you?" Actually kinda romantic, there.

Their skin shines like diamond, but is insanely tough. Solid-steel needle shoved with their own strength won't penetrate. Fast, too. Outrun moving vehicles fast and crisscross the country fast.
Wow, these sound like wank-tastic vampires... :bangwall:
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

There's the problem. A solid sheet of diamond the thickness of your skin isn't going to save you. In fact under the impact of something like a .50 cal round it'll shatter like glass and exacerbate the wound. Now against something like claws, or a knife, or things like that it'll be pretty good armor. Concentrated high velocity steel, not so much. For a reference take a look at medieval knights. Their armor was exceptional at stopping slicing attacks and to a lesser degree blunt impacts. Piercing impacts go right through it. Again, it's back to the old "we're not 16th century Europe." The kind of threats a vampire might have to deal with back then it can take easily. Modern tech, not so much.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

No, it's not made of diamond. It shines like a diamond. And like I said, a solid-steel needle failed to penetrate when pushed at it by one of their own kind.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:No, it's not made of diamond. It shines like a diamond. And like I said, a solid-steel needle failed to penetrate when pushed at it by one of their own kind.
Like a syringe needle? Because those can break pretty easily, or like a sewing needle, either way, you can stop it pretty easily even if you don't have armor, heck, a leather jacket will suffice.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Steel needle pushing vs. bullet impact is quite a bit different. Like a diamond. Shining the way it does would imply some crystalline properties and anything that flexible is going to be thin and nothing that thin and crystalline is going to stop a bullet. Now, if we'd like to start saying "magic" that's fine. However if we're not going to blame it on magic I'm giving you an explanation that accounts for the apparent durability of a vampire in hand to hand and why they sparkle. Sadly it doesn't do jack for being shot in the face with a weapon intended to be used against light armored vehicles.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:No, it's not made of diamond. It shines like a diamond. And like I said, a solid-steel needle failed to penetrate when pushed at it by one of their own kind.
They can't be that tough if they can be chopped up. Unless said chopping involves a couple of supercars and chains to rip them apart, which I doubt the vamp would stand still long enough for.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

No, it involves the vampire's teeth itself. Not exactly kitchen implements. Or said vamps ripping their opponents apart.