V 2009

Everything else
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: V 2009

Post by Tyyr »

Mikey wrote:It seems to me as if the big finale is pretty much self-contained or at least composed of simultaneous events - they're trying to set it up without giving anything away, but can't let the actual event spread earlier than the last ep. So, we get ambiguous glimpses:
See, I don't even see ambiguous glimpses. We're not talking about ruining one V's day, or even just pissing off Anna. They're trying to oust 29 flying cities whom a good portion of the rest of the world seems to think are the saviors of humanity. There's not even a hint that the 5th column has made any real head way in proving what the V's intentions are much less that they're lizards under that skin. They've got two episodes now to either wipe out the V's or convince the rest of the world that the V's aren't all goodness and light and to help them oust them... and the 5th Column just got painted as really nasty terrorists and the world fell all over themselves pledging to help them fight off the 5th Column.
Anna beating up her daughter - is it really a trick to get Tyler, or was she really pissed? Whose side is Chad really on? etc.
I think it's Anna working the angles. She wants Tyler on the ship and blondie is giving her reason to think she might not be the emotionless hell bitch that mommy is. So in one fell swoop she gets a plan to get Tyler's ass on the ship and a chance to see how blondie responds.
I thing by having
Malick deep-six the evidence of that
they avoided an actual puss-out - the guys are still in the middle of a force 7 s**t-storm. As to the actual tactic, I feel like it was a good fit for Anna.
I think having them still in trouble isn't a total cop out, I will give you that. Still, why would Anna jeopardize her plan by letting them shoot down a shuttle full of corpses and then going to wipe out evidence when she could have just as easily made two dozen people disappear, stuff them on the shuttle, and let that shuttle get shot down. No dicey cover up, just fresh burned corpses.
Nickswitz wrote:I don't see how you think that they we're slowing down too much,
I don't think they're slowing down, I don't think they ever picked up the pace to begin with. Let me reiterate, we are down to two episodes remaining and the 5th Column has made ZERO progress towards stopping the V's or convincing the world that the V's are evil. Remember most of the world was falling all over themselves to convince the V's to stay when Anna threatened to pull out and 5th Column was painted as terrorists. This would make a great low point in a regular 22 to 26 episode season, not as the 10th episode in a 12 episode run. We're pretty much at the point where only a monumental ass pull will turn things around in time for this thing to be over. I'm not talking about nothing happening in general. There's plenty going on. My problem is that with only two episodes remaining the conclusion will be a Deus Ex Machina. That's what I mean, they're not moving towards a logical conclusion of the series. They're still deep in setting up at least a season long if not multiple season show. The pacing is wrong in my opinion.
I mean we have the shuttle crash,
A gigantic freaking set back in the 5th Column's agenda.
we see where the reporters loyalty is,
I don't agree. He's playing both sides. He could still go either way.
we see Jack's weakness,
I wouldn't call not wanting to be monsters a weakness, and it really does nothing to get the 5th Column where it wants to go. If anything Jack becoming the screaming moral guardian will slow things down.
we saw that the V's are killing the people constantly,
But once again the 5th is foiled and is unable to prove to anyone that they're doing it. So as far as bringing about a conclusion its still a big fat goose egg.
we see that the V's not only don't show emotion(much like vulcans) but they also don't understand the concept of human emotion (Ana's comment about her having insight on human emotion),
I'd argue that's been fairly obvious for a while.
Yeah, I agree, it wasn't really a puss-out, it was a good tactic, as long as she had Malick on the inside, which I actually didn't see coming... :bangwall:
Except it wasn't a good idea. If Erica had the presence of mind to just "Right click -> Save As" they'd have been up shit creek without a paddle. The good tactic is to load up two dozen live humans on the shuttle and let the 5th Column shoot them down for real. Even better, herd two dozen of the live aboard people onto the shuttle so you could have images of their grieving families on TV once you ID the bodies.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I agree that having bodies on board instead of live humans was a bit of a cop out. Having live humans on board would have made much more sense for Anna.

It would have been pretty devastating for Jack, as it was his warning that tipped Anna off in the first place. It seemed like the humans already being dead was a plot device to ensure Jacks return to the rebels - he wouldn't have come back if he'd been really responsible to the deaths.

Also, I've had some disappointed looks from my Mother in my time, but she's never had my legs broken. Anna sure is strict.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

That certainly isn't the word I would use for it.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

kostmayer wrote:Anna sure is strict.
Is anyone else now imagining Morena Baccarin in a leather corset and six-inch heels?

No? Just me and Tyyr, then?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

:wave:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:Is anyone else now imagining Morena Baccarin in a leather corset and six-inch heels?

No? Just me and Tyyr, then?
Imagining? Haven't you seen the last season of Sg-1?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, that's not what he meant. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Still doesn't detract from one of the few upsides to the last couple of series. :)
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

It sure doesn't hurt. :)
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Morena Baccarin
Why do I recognize that name... what was she in?
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Inara in Firefly.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Adria in Stargate SG-1
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

I'm thinking the corpses are humans that they've completed the 'extraction' on and need to dispose of the evidence. Why not kill 2 homo-sapiens with one trick, so to speak?
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Foxbat wrote:I'm thinking the corpses are humans that they've completed the 'extraction' on and need to dispose of the evidence. Why not kill 2 homo-sapiens with one trick, so to speak?
Yeah, that's what I thought as well.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Foxbat wrote:I'm thinking the corpses are humans that they've completed the 'extraction' on and need to dispose of the evidence. Why not kill 2 homo-sapiens with one trick, so to speak?
That's what I'm figuring, but it still exposes you to risk. Better to toss those bodies in the old incinerator and have some fresh ones for the 5th Column to waste.