"minor" DCEU redemption?

Everything else

"minor" DCEU redemption?

Postby Captain Picard's Hair » Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:39 pm

Perhaps this observation just underscores how backwards Snyder and DC are doing things, but it seems like the smaller scale DCEU properties to date have come out better than their attempts at big blockbusters. The best by far has been Wonder Woman, and though Aquaman doesn't live up to that standard it's a perfectly decent movie on it's own. It's been noted that Justice League was rushed, in more than one way. The first Avengers film came deeper in the pipeline comparatively, and even it was just itself a stepping stone on the way to Infinity War and the upcoming Endgame. Not only was Thanos and the infinity stones built up in the background but the characters that make up the Avengers got way more treatment than some DCEU heroes have even in their own films.

Essentially, DC can make decent (or even excellent) films when they don't shoot for the moon. With smaller scale they remember to tell decent stories and build some character.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: "minor" DCEU redemption?

Postby DarkMoineau » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:45 pm

Writing, no matter the universe, if you want to succeed, first you have to give a decent writing to your movie / Show.
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Postby RK_Striker_JK_5 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:13 pm

I did notice it's not the tentpole Superman/Batman/Justice League that's doing well or well-written. It's Wonder-Woman and Aquaman, the smaller properties. Properties that aren't as perhaps over-exposed.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Postby Graham Kennedy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:51 pm

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I did notice it's not the tentpole Superman/Batman/Justice League that's doing well or well-written. It's Wonder-Woman and Aquaman, the smaller properties. Properties that aren't as perhaps over-exposed.

I wonder if that's not because smaller properties don't have movie executives ringing up every few weeks saying "Oh, it has to be dark and moody now," "Oh, a dark and moody movie flopped, put lots of jokes in," "I remember a movie where they used pop songs instead of custom music, put lots of pop songs in," so that they can claim later that they had a hand in making the movie.

Also, it's arguable that the movies have gotten better as Snyder's influence has faded.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Other / General