American G-ds

Everything else
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

American G-ds

Post by Mikey »

Okay, so I'm all of one episode into watching Starz's small-screen adaptation of Neil Gaiman's novel American G-ds. On one hand, it is every bit as pretentious and faux-Lynch-ian as one would expect from an adaptation of a Neil Gaiman book. OTOH... Ian fucking McShane. I swear, I believe he could read a telephone directory and be entertaining. I am pleased to see the adaptation follow the book as closely as it has so far; but the stop-motion rain in the dramatic denouement of ep 1, the low angles on the grave, just about all the production is really full of itself.

Anybody else watch?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: American G-ds

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I saw the first three episodes and felt no real need to continue. The weirdness : story ratio was a little high for me.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Looked like utter crap to me, but I do love McShane. My cousin keeps trying to sell me on it, so I may give it a whirl - he DID turn me on to Game of Thrones, so I owe this a chance I suppose =)
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

It's all setup so far. Just question mark after question mark. At least one mystery was finally answered last episode. It's not really must-watch for me. Only the mystery of what Mr. Wednesday is up to, is what I'm interested in.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I'm through episode 4, and about to give up. They just mailed in some useful and important parts, changed the whole character of Mr. Nancy, and obscured the whole bit about Mad Sweeney.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

I too watched for McShane: he was so wonderful in 'Deadwood', that I had to give it a try. And I wasn't disappointed...confused often, but not disappointed.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/america ... 202626402/

Bryan Fuller exits another show. At least he finished a season this time.
Bryan Fuller and Michael Green are exiting their posts as showrunners on Starz drama “American Gods.”

Creators and executive producers on the series, Fuller and Green are said to be departing after clashing with producer FremantleMedia over budget and creative direction. Fuller and Green were said to have been pushing for an increase to the series’ budget for season two. Sources close to the production said that the per-episode budget for “American Gods” season two already nearly $10 million.

No replacement showrunner has yet been named

Green and Fuller both have multiple irons in the fire elsewhere. Green is shepherding the Netflix drama “Raising Dion” and another TV series project in the works. Bryan Fuller is working on Apple’s “Amazing Stories” as well as other projects.

After hitting an impasse on plans for season two, Fuller and Green opted to bow out. The decision comes a year after Fuller exited his role as showrunner on CBS’ “Star Trek: Discovery” amid multiple production delays.
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... ns-1140946
Jesse Alexander, who took over Starz's American Gods in February after original showrunners Michael Green and Bryan Fuller were pushed out, has been sidelined, multiple sources tell The Hollywood Reporter.

Insiders say Alexander was asked to stop working on American Gods, an adaptation of a Neil Gaiman novel, about a month ago. The word "fired" was not used internally, and a representative for Alexander said that characterization was not accurate. But Alexander, an executive producer, is no longer working on the hyper-stylized drama as a writer or showrunner, and has been asked not to sit in on editing, be involved on set or participate in any other areas of production or postproduction. One source described Alexander's role as effectively "fired but not fired,” as he has been relegated to the sidelines on season two but has yet to be replaced. Sources note that Fremantle, the show's studio, would rather exile Alexander than endure the negative attention that would come with dismissing a second showrunner in two seasons.
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So he's still going to be getting paid and going in to work... and what, just sit in his office all day?

That must be nice. He'll be able to do all sorts of reading and stuff.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Graham Kennedy wrote:So he's still going to be getting paid and going in to work... and what, just sit in his office all day?

That must be nice. He'll be able to do all sorts of reading and stuff.
Maybe he'll read American Gods and figure out what he was supposed to do?
Stan - South Park