Stargate: The Film

T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Stargate: The Film

Post by T'Pau »

I loved this film, for it's innovative take on the Pyramids of Giza history (same reason I enjoyed 10, 000 BC).
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Stargate: The Film

Post by Graham Kennedy »

T'Pau wrote:I loved this film, for it's innovative take on the Pyramids of Giza history (same reason I enjoyed 10, 000 BC).
Interestingly, there are a series of books which are sequels to the original movie. They go in a completely different direction to the SG-1 series.

Main differences are - Ra was the only alien. No Go'auld. The main opponents in the series are his remaining minions, as led by a woman called Hathor. Plus, no other stargates - only one from Earth to the desert planet. So we see very little of other worlds, and no habitable ones that I remember. But there is a lot of how the Earthers interact with the locals that were set free in the movie. Interestingly, the humans come across as kind of dicks, with big business exploiting the natives to try and force them to mine the mineral for them. Some natives even take the view that things are worse now than under Ra.

All in all I preferred the SG-1 take, but the books are an interesting "what might have been". Apparently there's a new movie or series in development which is a sequel to the original, and ignores the SG-1-verse entirely!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Graham Kennedy wrote:All in all I preferred the SG-1 take, but the books are an interesting "what might have been". Apparently there's a new movie or series in development which is a sequel to the original, and ignores the SG-1-verse entirely!
Those movies have been placed on hold indefinitely as Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin are keeping themselves busy with other projects. Thankfully.

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/remake-stargate-happening-know-exclusive/
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Dean Devlin was behind the tv show 'Leverage', which I quite enjoyed, and 'The Librarians', which is still in production. I never knew he was involved with Stargate. Thanks for the info!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."