Prometheus

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Prometheus

Post by McAvoy »

The side and front views are practically done. The top view is about 80% done.

I did a quick comparison between the 375 meter Prometheus and the Nimitz. Basically 375 meters is in between the minimum 330 meter length so that a 302 can fit inside the hanger pod and 450 meter length from a scene in Ethon where a 302 flies out with plenty of room. 375 meter length also fits nicely with the deck thickness.

195 meter length is from Wiki and I have no clue how they got it. It makes no sense because a 302 wouldn't fit inside those pods or the original hanger at the base of the super structure.

Nimitz class has a overall length of 330 meters or 1,080 feet. I scanned the picture from Friedman's US Carriers.

The below picture is what I started on which is a heavily redone scan someone did years ago off of the Promtheus MSDs. It is highly inaccurate as you can see.

"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That and the t**t refers to the hangar as the, "Garage."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Holy shit never noticed that.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Maybe that's where Ronson worked on his 1996 Fiero.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That thing is enormous. Hard to imagine you could build something ten times the size of a Nimitz in secret.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah I know. The 195 meter length is more believable in size but doesn't fit in what we see in SG-1. That and the ship was built underground too.

Hell there is evidence that the Daedalus is 600 meters in length.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Because we're totally ready to start building Victory SD sized ships now a days.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

What's even funnier is that with as big as that thing is it still doesnt touch a VicStar. But, I'm happy to know we can build Defiants if need be!
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:Because we're totally ready to start building Victory SD sized ships now a days.
Close enough

In any event, even at 600m a BC-304 is considerably smaller than a VicStar - only two thirds the length and a lot less solidly built.

EDIT: By some very rough calculations, a 600m 304 comes out at about a tenth the volume of a Vic.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I'm one of those who likes the idea that the ships were small even smaller than a Nimitz class. However the more I looked into the 303 and 304 the more I realized that they were definitely larger than what we originally thought. Like I said I have no clue how the 195 meter length was established.

When i get around to it, I will post screen shots showing what I mean.

Previously I did do research on this and came across Gateworld forum. The forum is filled with rabid fans that make even the most hardcore Trek fan look sane. Anyway there are a few that seem intelligent enough to do their own research.

192 Pages of Stargate scaling

Guys arguing about sizes :wink:

Anyway it does show one thing though that even with 17 seasons of Stargate, there isn't a decent website like DITL or Ex Astris Scientia for it. Most if not all sites seem to rehash same crap from wiki sites.

*Edited because a hangover is a bitch.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:The forum is filled with rabid fans that make even the most hardcore Trek fan look sane.
I doubt it. Unless they can can do worse than "humans naturally have big blocks of metal in their spines" or "humpback whales are aliens that performed genetic engineering on themselves so they could send subspace messages to their homeworld", then they can't hold a candle to the worst idiots Trek fandom has produced.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
McAvoy wrote:The forum is filled with rabid fans that make even the most hardcore Trek fan look sane.
I doubt it. Unless they can can do worse than "humans naturally have big blocks of metal in their spines" or "humpback whales are aliens that performed genetic engineering on themselves so they could send subspace messages to their homeworld", then they can't hold a candle to the worst idiots Trek fandom has produced.
Or Warsies, such as "There were a total of three Mandalorian soldiers ever, and you should choke to death if you disagree with me." Oh, wait, that was an author, not a fan. ;)
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

I doubt there's a single work of fiction with an even moderately-sized fanbase that doesn't also have a significant number of raving lunatics. Be they Trektards, Travissties or Rabid Fivers, there will always be those for whom logic and sanity are mere words.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Too true. Whether it be overzealous fanatical "deductions" about insignificant points of IU "fact," or the people who will show others disdain for not being hardcore enough fans, they will always be out there. Good thing there aren't people like that at sporting events. Could you imagine what it would be like if soccer fans were actually willing to shed blood over their loyalties?
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

:lol: