Stargate: Universe Cancelled.

Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Stargate: Universe Cancelled.

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Deepcrush wrote:
Sonic Glitch wrote:Aye. Even SG-1 got a little darker as it went, but the key phrase there is as it went.
Which we call plot development. Stargate has always been about slow change. SG1 and SGA all had slow progressive plots where SGU was just a rapid IN YOUR FACE series. That's not a bad thing but you can't just throw it out there and hope that your average SG fan (as GK pointed out) will like it. While over time they may come around, thats often to late for a series.
Yep. As GK also demonstrated ;) They probably could've spread the plot development up to reach a much darker point much faster, but this close to SG-1/SGA, it wouldn't work as the jumping off point.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Mark wrote:It's not like alot of us didn't see this coming. SGU just didn't work because it wasn't LIKE SG1 or SGA. It wasn't any fun, and that damned shaky cam thing they do makes people nausiated. The characters just didn't grab you (hell, I couldn't even name them all off), and it was way to much like Voyager for me.

Maybe they'll do better with the next one.

+1000

Everything that made SG1 and SGA fun and entertaining was COMPLETELY missing from SGU. SGU tried to be BSG. I feared that SGU was goingto the a "fail" from the first episode on... and it was.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I just caught up with the show.

I have to agree. In my mind this isn't Stargate. I mean you could insert some other secret military-alien technology that got them there and it would be the same.

SG-1 was the original but still had it's ties with the movie. Still had the Stargate going to other worlds fighting off aliens or exploring them. Atlantis needed SG-1 to do some prior episodes to tie them it and was based off of Stargate.

But with Universe you got a ancient starship with a Stargate onboard. Yeah it's a ship made by the ancients and it has something to do with seeding stargates on planets. It doesn't do that much another ship does.

You could call the show "Alien Universe". Have the military find a alien teleport device that self destructs after boy genius figures it out trapping them onboard the Destiny. Have the stargate be another teleport device. There you go. Almost same premise.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I'm rather glad its almost done.

Maybe they'll start over with something else.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Problem is that SG-1 is done. SGA was cancelled to promote SGU. SGU felt so rushed and dark that it didn't feel like Stargate.

Honestly I think they need a break.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'd prefer if they just concentrated on the movies for a while.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah I agree.

I just never got why was Universe so special vs. Atlantis anyway? They could have done Season 6 and finish off lingering threads and then started Universe. They would have had plenty of time figuring everything out for Universe.

Oh well we got 15 seasons + 2 of Universe for Stargate.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Even though I'm a fan of Universe, I agree that they should've finished Atlantis first.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I agree. Five seasons and was doing rather well in ratings. Syfy as usual was smoking something illegal.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I'd be a happy camper if they'd go back and jump back into SA. Plus, we're still supposed to be waiting on an SA movie.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

With SGA, I don't see why they had to cancel in favor of the new show. Its not like they didn't have SG1 going at the same time as SGA and both were doing great. The crossovers made for interesting story lines which brought out the scope of things.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

If I remember correctly, Universe was only a concept when Atlantis was cancelled. I was also under the impression that money was already set aside from MGM for two Stargate movies.

I thought the Atlantis sets have been torn down already?
SomosFuga
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by SomosFuga »

I have seen the first 12 eps until now and i must say i really like SGU, it's different than SG1 and Atlantis but it is a very goog show by its own right.

It makes me wonder how could have been VOY if they had done it well.
Trata las situaciones estresantes como lo haría 1 perro: si no puedes comértelo o jugar con ello, méate encima y lárgate!!!

Handle stressful situations as a dog would: if you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and get out of there!!!
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

If this had been how Voy was done, Voy might still be on the air today... and I'd still be watching it!
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

I must admit I didn't like Universe but despite myself I watched it and as usual as with most cancelled shows it started to get interesting towards the end.
I still loved Dr Nicholas Rushe :-)
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!