Total votes: 9
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

SGU 1.6 "Water"

Post by Lt. Staplic »

So thoughts on the new episode
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: SGU 1.6 "Water"

Post by Tyyr »

Weak.

Eli had a couple of interesting moments. He's still walking the Wesley line but unlike the original Wesley he's at least entertaining. The dust things, meh. Felt more like filler. The ice planet was somewhat interesting, though harvesting it with a machine gun was stupid. The Lt. almost dying, AGAIN, was lame. Rush was less of a shithead though.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I actually thought this episode was really good for Eli, Chloe, and TJ

Eli's been at the Wesley level of annoying, in this episode his inability to cope with the stress (or lying) kinda brings him back down to earth IMO. A true Wesley character would have been the one doing the lying in that situation.

Chloe it seems is destined to become a bit of a liaison between the military and the civilians on the ship. The scene where Greer is searching for stolen rations and the scientists shows up, Chole was the only one with a level head, and I for one would like to see her grow into that role.

TJ, for once we have a junior officer that isn't afraid to give orders. I really liked the way she acted while in charge, most of the time she was consulting with Rush, or Greer, or Eli or anyone, but then she would make her own decision. So refreshing to see something the way it would actually happen.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Meh, and hardly a glorious meh at that. :lol:

Stargate's best days are behind it.

I refuse to subject myself to boring melodrama.

At least I can be more productive now. :lol:
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I thought it was the third best so far. Light- premier - Water. Next episode there's
suppose to be a suicide. I wonder who it'll be!

Or so they say^

I'm happy Stargate has another series that I think is starting off strong. Yeah its got a different feel than SG:1 or Atlantis did but that's one thing I despised about Trek was how much of them felt the same. Atlantis felt very different than SG:1 and Universe feels very different from those two.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Monroe wrote:I thought it was the third best so far. Light- premier - Water. Next episode there's
suppose to be a suicide. I wonder who it'll be!

Or so they say^

I'm happy Stargate has another series that I think is starting off strong. Yeah its got a different feel than SG:1 or Atlantis did but that's one thing I despised about Trek was how much of them felt the same. Atlantis felt very different than SG:1 and Universe feels very different from those two.
What I liked about SG1 was precisely the comedy aspect; it had a serious component with the threat of the Go'auld and the complication of Earth politics but it was the great chemistry of the cast and the sheer comedy appeal of the O'neill character that separated it from the stoicness of TNG.

Sure it was corny at first, but I just never got tired of Anderson/O'neill's antics.

Guess I'm easily entertained. :lol:
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

SG1 is def my favorite, but Universe isn't bad, I definitely like it more than Atlantis
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Reminds me of that nBSG episode, it was like their 4th episode as well.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Just after seeing it. I give it a 3/5.

First, the plot:
The bugs were an interesting subplot, but I got the impression that the writers wanted to do more with them, but were unable. Exactly what are they? Why were they trying to communicate? Was that even what they were doing? I suppose they could answer these questions by bringing the bugs back in the future, but it would seem rather forced, IMO.
The ice-world plot was...meh. Scott nearly dies again, Young almost gets himself killed and almost fucks up everyone else's chances of surviving, and it's solved by a total Deus Ex Machina ("Oh, what do you know? Now he's free!").

Character-wise, it's a bit up and down.
It's nice to see the Lieutenant (TJ? I never caught her name, oddly) becoming a bit more prominant.
Some of the banter between Scott and Young was nice.
Eli was less annoying in this episode, and was rightly told to shut up and grow up when he started playing up.
I was feeling better towards Greer in the last episode, but he threw away what goodwill I had for him in this episode by acting like a confrontational moron.
Can we please have a little more development with Chloe? Seriously, either do something with her or get rid of her. She's taking up valuable oxygen and water and doing absolutely nothing.
Can we have Spencer be something other than the stock asshole?
Did anyone else catch the name of the guy who got killed by the bugs? Goreman! :lol:
Rush further confirms that he's the only one on the ship with a properly functioning brain.

On another note, does anyone think that the Destiny has some sort of low-level AI? It seems rather convineint that the ship just happens to keep dropping out where there's exactly what they need on hand. In Air it stopped in a system with just the right kind of lime they needed. Today, it stopped in a system with drinkable water. It seems to me that the ship has enough inteligence to recognise when it's running low on something or when there's a problem, and find the adequate resources for the crew to harvest.

All in all, I'd say about average. It's one of the better SG:U episodes, but that's really not saying all that much. It was nothing stellar, but it kept me watching.
3/5
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Sionnach Glic wrote: On another note, does anyone think that the Destiny has some sort of low-level AI? It seems rather convineint that the ship just happens to keep dropping out where there's exactly what they need on hand. In Air it stopped in a system with just the right kind of lime they needed. Today, it stopped in a system with drinkable water. It seems to me that the ship has enough inteligence to recognise when it's running low on something or when there's a problem, and find the adequate resources for the crew to harvest.
It was mentioned by Rush in Air that he can communicate with the ship and let them know what they need, the ship is then able to use information from the ships before it to plot a course for a planet that can help them
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

I still don't get why some of you think Eli is annoying.

Granted, I'm not a fan of the premise of the show, but I do like Eli.

But hey, I liked Wesley too.

Maybe it has to do with being an only child? :mrgreen:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I don't have any particular problem with any of the characters so far, though Greer gets on my nerves a bit with his excess of attitude. He made up for it a bit with "...I can invent things too..." :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Tsukiyumi wrote:I don't have any particular problem with any of the characters so far, though Greer gets on my nerves a bit with his excess of attitude. He made up for it a bit with "...I can invent things too..." :lol:
I like his relation with the Colonel. He's someone who's been in the brig for an unknown reason but still 100% loyal to Colonel whats his name. Its an interesting dynamic.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Monroe wrote:I like his relation with the Colonel.
Agreed.
Monroe wrote: He's someone who's been in the brig for an unknown reason
Apparently, he assaulted someone who "deserved it". Good enough for me.
Monroe wrote:but still 100% loyal to Colonel whats his name...
Colonel Young. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Greer assaulted Colonel Telford (the one that keeps switching with Young with the communication stones)