Destiny

Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Destiny

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I suppose it's about time that we had a thread on the ship from SG:U.

First off, does anyone have any idea what size the ship is? In the first few episodes I got the impression that it was a massive ship, maybe similar in size to Babylon 5. But during the shuttle "landing" in Light, it actually seemed surprisingly small. I, obviously, wasn't doing any accurate measurements at the time, but just by eyeballing it I'd peg the length at around a kilometre.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Destiny

Post by Tyyr »

My initial impressions said a couple kilometers at least. Atleast SD sized and probably much larger.
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

The stargate wiki has some nice images of the ship from the top (at a bit of an angle) Here

You can get an idea of the size by checking out the shuttle images Here
The main window at the front of the shuttle seems to fill most of its front so its not as big as I thought it was so I'd say rochey is close to the truth with his guestimate.
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

As with almost all Stargate ships, it's as big as it needs to be to look like it won't get completely pwn3d by the bad guy and yet can shrink as necessary when in a shot by itself.

They are made of elastic.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I'd peg it at about a kilometer too. The 'crew' take up the central section of the ship: (O-- (where the circle is).

We see the extent a little bit at the end of "Air" IIRC, that compared with the space we've seen occupied on the inside, I guesstimate about a kilometer.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

Something I don't get;

was this ship built before the Ancients introduced the ATA gene to all of their technology so only they could operate it?

You'd think the ancients would be able to detect the minerals like for the CO2 scrubber.

^Why I hate soap operas. :roll:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

LaughingCheese wrote:was this ship built before the Ancients introduced the ATA gene to all of their technology so only they could operate it?
Yes. Stated in dialog.
LaughingCheese wrote:You'd think the ancients would be able to detect the minerals like for the CO2 scrubber.
It did; the ship brought them to the right planet. They just didn't seem to have enough understanding of the ship's systems to either confirm it's presence or auto-collect it.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Watch the last episode of the show they'll discover a button that automatically harvests materials from planets they park nearby :P
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-