4 - The show is starting to pick up
25%
3 - Meh, glorious meh
25%
2 - Poor
13%
1 - Awful
No votes
0 - Stop ruining my show, you hack writers!
13%

Total votes: 8
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

SG:U 1X05 "Light"

Post by Lt. Staplic »

and the ship refueled itself
Edit; put spoiler tags in to keep from ruining the surprise ending :wink:
Last edited by Lt. Staplic on Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: SG:U 1X05 "Light"

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Well, I only saw that coming since last week. *sigh*

Was the episode itself any good? I'll only be able to see it on Tuesday myself.

New thread created, split from SGU: 1X04 discussion thread.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

:oops: I thought everyone had seen it.

I think it is pretty well done, the outcome is predictable, but they capture the feelings of those who think their about to die:
The shuttle can hold 17 so the colonel chooses 2 based on special skills the survivors will need, and the other 15 slots are up for grabs in a random draw. After the 15 are selected, one of the Marines tries to start a riot to get on the shuttle before it leaves...
With the force Greer put in that hit, i thought he killed him.
They all do truly believe they are going to die, and then it's last second that they realize they aren't.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Even though Rockey called it last week I still thought it was an excellent episode. By now anyone reading this thread SHOULD have seen the show. So that said this will be the last time I put a spoiler tag on this thread. Seriously, who reads a discussion about an episode without seeing the episode? :P
I lmao'd when Eli didn't get the chick.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

I don't think the show airs in uk until tuesday after you get it in the US.

Anyway, I've seem it and thought it was a decent enough ep. Not spectacular but dr rush is starting to grow on me more.
I know we all saw the refueling bit coming but it did look nice when they did it. I must admit the bit with col Taylor (?) and Rushe at the end was nice. I'd say he suspected all along and I'm hoping he just wanted to rid himself of a few more people who annoyed him :happydevil:

Also maybe I missed it in another thread but did anyone have any ideas of what we saw at the end of one of the episodes when it looked like we saw a ship/ pod detach itself from the hull of the destiny & fly off?
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

colmquinn wrote:
I know we all saw the refueling bit coming but it did look nice when they did it. I must admit the bit with col Taylor (?) and Rushe at the end was nice. I'd say he suspected all along and I'm hoping he just wanted to rid himself of a few more people who annoyed him :happydevil:

Also maybe I missed it in another thread but did anyone have any ideas of what we saw at the end of one of the episodes when it looked like we saw a ship/ pod detach itself from the hull of the destiny & fly off?
I don't think he knew. His shock and amazement when he found out is enough to convince me that he was just being a dick to the colonel and letting him believe that he knew. Remember this is a TV Ph.D. which means even if its blatently obvious, which as Rochey pointed out is was, they still don't have a clue.

As for the mystery projectile, I've wondered if that was a shuttle breaking off or some system they all activated that jettisoned some search probe, but I don't know for sure.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Every system they pass through, the ship drops sensors and stargates.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Where does it get the materials for that? Naqahduh isn't found just everywhere.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

It's also and incredibly advanced BIG fucking ship. So either they could have just brought a lot of them or maybe just like it refuels maybe it stops to mine asteroids or something from time to time.

If you think about it a Stargate isn't that large. In a space the size of a basketball court two decks high you could probably store a few hundred of them.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

If you're ship can transport materials right out of a planet, I don't think its hard to do.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

are the SGA stargates made out of naquada?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Deepcrush wrote:
Every system they pass through, the ship drops sensors and stargates.
I thought the other unmanned ships did that, and the Destiny is supposed to follow up and explore.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

The sensors I could see, but not stargate's, that was the job of the ships that came before the Destiny
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Destiny is like the second gen. Seems they come in waves. First one locates maybe a few planets for stargates in a galaxy. Second one, Destiny populates some more, then the next one fills in the blanks. Not the most efficient way of laying Stargates I think.

One more thing, in Atlantis we see a Lantean Battle Cruiser take the full force of a solar storm blasting against its shields (or was that an x303? I think it was a Lantean ship, but they're about equal in shields anyway). Does setting a ship to protect against weapon fire mean it can't fly into a star anymore? The solar flare didn't destroy the ship but it did damage it. Destiny wasn't even harmed. It didn't even shake.

-Remain Star Trek-
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

They probably developed systems unique to those ships to be able to fly into stars, that they didn't put on their other ships because they didn't plan on flying in to stars.

Also I think that there are only 2 gens of these ships, a bunch went out first to explore and deposit stargates, then Destiny went out to follow the most interesting course, that's why there is a stargate on Destiny so the Ancients could go to the ship once it was far enough away, and populate different galaxies.