SG:U 1.4- Darkness

Rate!

5 - A Blazing Beacon Of Televised Brilliance
No votes
4 - The Episode Shines In Many Areas
No votes
3 - A Flicker Of Good, But Nothing Great
80%
2 - In Light of This Episode, I Feel The Show Needs To Start Picking Itself Up Quickly
20%
1 - I Hold A Dim View Of This Episode
No votes
0 - The Light Of Quality Has Left The Show
No votes

Total votes: 5
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

SG:U 1.4- Darkness

Post by Monroe »

What did you guys think of this one? I thought it was better than episode 3. It wasn't great but good. Rush even got on my nerves a little bit. Eli I liked a little more in this show especially by how stupid he had to be to think Johanson liked him (which btw I never noticed how hot that woman was... she's got quite the set)

I thought the ship's awesome AI was nice and all. We also see some more ancient tech in the rechargeable platform.. which makes sense and I think is completely realistic to expect but why we never saw it in Atlantis I don't know.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: SG:U 1.4- Darkness

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Monroe wrote:Rush even got on my nerves a little bit.
Funny, I relate to him even more after this episode.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

So you expect people to blindly follow your orders even if you aren't in their chain of command and never bother to explain what's going on but expect people to just know what your motivations are even though you believe them all to be your mental inferiors?
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I think Telford's response was indicative of how he expected things to run; when he found out people weren't following Rush's orders, he was a bit upset.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The impression that I got was that he got there AFTER Rush finally explained WHY he was acting crazier than normal.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

True, but he had reason to be pissed, IMO. Common sense should have kept everyone from running about, turning everything on. Instead...
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I feel the same as you Tsu. I can identify a little bit with Rush.

Ya he's a bit of an a**, but at the same time, he's the ONLY one on that entire ship that has any chance of finding out how to fix what's wrong on the ship or get them home. He's trying to do this as quickly as possible, meaning he's not getting any sleep, we just found out he's also suffering from nicotine and caffeine withdrawal, and it's pretty obvious he's still suffering from the death of his wife. I think he's got a little bit of room to be an a**
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Actaully no, he doesn't. If anything the precariousness of their position makes it even more imperative that he's not an ass. Project management with a bitch of a deadline and a lot of pressure is what I do, it's my job. The fastest way to ensure that the project goes to shit and the deadline is missed is for me to start acting like a petulant, know-it-all, jackass. Rush can't save them solo. He can do a lot but in the end he's one man. He needs everyone on that ship working together and so far he's managed to alienate himself from EVERYONE. At every turn he's chosen the shithead path. For instance, when he came into the shuttle and saw the mistranslations. He could have just pointed out they were backwards and done it calmly. Instead he decided to call the guy who did it an idiot. Awesome team building. Way to get someone on your side who might not be great at translating but is obviously already a couple lightyears ahead of most of the pack. He doesn't have to be sweet and nice and greet everyone with a smile but not offending everyone just for the hell of it would be a start. Has he been right about a lot of things? Sure he has, dialing home was a mistake, pointing out how right he was about it constantly solves nothing. It only alienates everyone. Being right isn't sufficient in these situations.

Caffeine and Nicotine withdrawal? Yeah, him and probably 2/3rds of the people on the ship. Not a valid reason to be a asshole. Wife, maybe.

He wants to be a leader? He needs to fucking act like it. He doesn't need to declare everyone else his mental inferiors, surprise jackass most of the people on that boat know he's the smartest. Telling them he is isn't news, it's being a shithead. He's shown ZERO leadership skills so far.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Still nothing great, in my honest opinion.

My thoughts:
Eli is seriously starting to get on my nerves, unfortunately.
I like how all the people who visited Tatooine in the last episode still have sunburn. Nice detail.
The Kino (sp?) being used for voyeurism was amusing, but also a very realistic issue (let's face it, who wouldn't be tempted?).
WRT Rush, I'm willing to be a bit forgiving to him in this episode. Yes, he was acting like a total jackass, but he's been working non-stop since they got there to keep the dying ship working and has been getting little to no sleep. As we saw, he was teetering on the edge of a nervous breakdown the entire time.
He's got a point on one thing, though: everyone else seems to be an idiot. Seriously, you're stuck on a ship that you know has very little power left, and you run around turning random shit on? Morons. Doesn't excuse slamming a guy into a wall, but I can certainly see where he's coming from.
Did anyone else notice how fast the Destiny was travelling at sublight speed? As soon as it drops out of hyperspace, the gas giant is just a small blue dot on the screen. Then, what appears to be just a few hours later, it's flying practicaly through the planet. That's pretty damn fast. Some form of low-level FTL, perhaps?
Looks like they're heading for the sun in the next episode. To be perfectly honest, I'm expecting the show to pull a Deus Ex Destiny, where it turns out that the ship's AI planned the whole trip to the sun the refuel itself somehow. I'm hoping that's not what will happen, but I've a feeling it is.
This isn't really episode-specific, but does anyone else feel like they're trying to copy the camera-work from nBSG?

Overall, 3/5. It's managing to hold my attention, but I'm really hoping it will start to pick up soon.

Also, would anyone object if I added a poll to the thread?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I don't care.

and thanks Rochey, What you said about Rush is what I was trying to say. It's not like I'm saying anyone in his position gets an okay to be an a**, but I can understand why he is being one.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Lt. Staplic wrote:I don't care.
Well, I'm actually waiting for Monroe's approval. I'd rather not screw around in someone else's thread without permission.
Lt. Staplic wrote:and thanks Rochey, What you said about Rush is what I was trying to say. It's not like I'm saying anyone in his position gets an okay to be an a**, but I can understand why he is being one.
He was at breaking point in the entire episode. Sure, he's been an arse for the rest of the show so far, but not to the extent he was last night, so I'm willing to give him a bit of leeway in this instance.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Did anyone else notice how fast the Destiny was travelling at sublight speed? As soon as it drops out of hyperspace, the gas giant is just a small blue dot on the screen. Then, what appears to be just a few hours later, it's flying practicaly through the planet. That's pretty damn fast. Some form of low-level FTL, perhaps?
I don't think so. They might be cruising along at a few percentage points of C but a few hours to bridge that gap isn't that fast, comparatively.
Looks like they're heading for the sun in the next episode. To be perfectly honest, I'm expecting the show to pull a Deus Ex Destiny, where it turns out that the ship's AI planned the whole trip to the sun the refuel itself somehow. I'm hoping that's not what will happen, but I've a feeling it is.
That's not really a problem to me. This ship is supposed to be pretty damn intelligent. It has been cruising through space for a few hundred millenia and was expected to act autonomously for a long and complex mission. Refueling itself is something I'd fully expect it to be capable of doing. The ending I REALLY dread is if Eli decodes something and right before they all abandon ship he corrects its course, avoids the sun, refuels the ship, and saves the day. For as much of an ass as Rush is if they don't let his character do something on the saving everyone front he'll go downhill fast.
This isn't really episode-specific, but does anyone else feel like they're trying to copy the camera-work from nBSG?
Not quite as sever but I can see the influence. I don't mind it really.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Tyyr wrote: I don't think so. They might be cruising along at a few percentage points of C but a few hours to bridge that gap isn't that fast, comparatively.
You're probably right.
Tyyr wrote:That's not really a problem to me. This ship is supposed to be pretty damn intelligent. It has been cruising through space for a few hundred millenia and was expected to act autonomously for a long and complex mission. Refueling itself is something I'd fully expect it to be capable of doing.
Oh, I know it'd make sense. It's just that the whole "Oh no, we're all going to die! Oh, never mind, everything's fine." thing wouldn't really sit well with me.
Tyyr wrote:The ending I REALLY dread is if Eli decodes something and right before they all abandon ship he corrects its course, avoids the sun, refuels the ship, and saves the day. For as much of an ass as Rush is if they don't let his character do something on the saving everyone front he'll go downhill fast.
Strongly agreed. Rush is a total ass. That I'm in agreement with you on. His saving grace is that I can to some extend understand why he's an ass, and having him as the only one keeping them all alive is what stops him from being a completely unlikable character.

Eli's very concept as a character annoys me. Having him be the one to save the day would produce serious eye-rolling.
Tyyr wrote:Not quite as sever but I can see the influence. I don't mind it really.
I don't mind it either. I just thought it was an interesting contrast to the more "conventional" camera-work of all the other Stargate shows.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Oh, I know it'd make sense. It's just that the whole "Oh no, we're all going to die! Oh, never mind, everything's fine." thing wouldn't really sit well with me.
That I'll agree with. The trailer for the episode strongly suggests that they'll be to the point of drawing lots for who lives and who dies.
Strongly agreed. Rush is a total ass. That I'm in agreement with you on. His saving grace is that I can to some extend understand why he's an ass, and having him as the only one keeping them all alive is what stops him from being a completely unlikable character.
I can get why he's an ass, I understand what's going on, but in that situation it's not the kind of thing I'd accept. If he can't save the day here then the only reason they all have for not spacing his ass evaporates. I'd really hate to see him degenerate into a scheming Baltar type character.
Eli's very concept as a character annoys me. Having him be the one to save the day would produce serious eye-rolling.
I'm trying so very hard not to hate him. The Last Starfighter rip off intro was just so awful. Having him save the day here would push him right into Wesley territory.
I don't mind it either. I just thought it was an interesting contrast to the more "conventional" camera-work of all the other Stargate shows.
It's sets the series apart. I like the style really. I'm kinda sick of all the stock camera angles.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Tyyr wrote: That I'll agree with. The trailer for the episode strongly suggests that they'll be to the point of drawing lots for who lives and who dies.
Here's hoping Ford Greer shoots himself to save the others, only for power to come back on 2 minutes later.
Tyyr wrote: I can get why he's an ass, I understand what's going on, but in that situation it's not the kind of thing I'd accept. If he can't save the day here then the only reason they all have for not spacing his ass evaporates. I'd really hate to see him degenerate into a scheming Baltar type character.
That I'd agree with.
Tyyr wrote: I'm trying so very hard not to hate him. The Last Starfighter rip off intro was just so awful. Having him save the day here would push him right into Wesley territory.
I think in the premiere thread I mentioned how disturbingly close to Wesley the vibes I'm getting off of him are. Having him outsmart two PhDs in this episode was bad enough. Having him save the day would be intolerable.
Tyyr wrote: It's sets the series apart. I like the style really. I'm kinda sick of all the stock camera angles.
Ditto. I quite like the shaky-cam style when it's done right.