Season 8

Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Season 8

Post by Mark »

Ok, changes galore. GENERAL O'Neil??? LT. COL. Carter?? And Teal'c HAS HAIR??!!? WTF?

Is this were we start seeing the decline of the show?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Season 8

Post by Monroe »

Actually I thought Season 7 was a big decline. Season 8 was up for me. Mitchell, the guy who replaces O'Neil is really cool I think. Hell I like him better than Atlantis' Sheppard in a lot of ways. He's far better than Jonas. Also you'll be introduced to the Ori. They are the only SG:1 race that can kick the Asgard's asses (Replicators were winning but not really dominating).
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Monroe wrote:...Mitchell, the guy who replaces O'Neil is really cool I think. Hell I like him better than Atlantis' Sheppard in a lot of ways. He's far better than Jonas. Also you'll be introduced to the Ori. They are the only SG:1 race that can kick the Asgard's asses (Replicators were winning but not really dominating).
Nope. That's Season 9.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Monroe wrote:...Mitchell, the guy who replaces O'Neil is really cool I think. Hell I like him better than Atlantis' Sheppard in a lot of ways. He's far better than Jonas. Also you'll be introduced to the Ori. They are the only SG:1 race that can kick the Asgard's asses (Replicators were winning but not really dominating).
Nope. That's Season 9.
Oh! Then yeah Season 8 is the downfall. Whatever season has O'Neil running the base. Don't worry though Mark, it gets better in season 9.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

He summed it up best himself when he said

"I've spent my career sticking it to the man, and now they wanna make ME the man!?"

How O'Neil made it past Captain or Major is beyond me. He's a great team leader, but in an admin position? Oh please!
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

It's possible that his sarcasm and constant piss-taking was a lot less pronounced before his son died, hence his getting up to half colonel.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

That would make the most sense.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Mark wrote:Ok, changes galore. GENERAL O'Neil??? LT. COL. Carter?? And Teal'c HAS HAIR??!!? WTF?

Is this were we start seeing the decline of the show?
Personaly, I do indeed think so. There are still some good episodes, but nothing as good as have come before. Also, the upcoming new villains are pretty lame, IMO.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I liked the Ori ships, and the Priors... and that's about it.

The concept of what they actually are, though, I thought was pretty cool. IMO.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I thought the Ori ships looked awful.

I felt that the Priors had a lot of potential, but I didn't like how they used them. It would have been far better, IMO, if they hadn't been given all the personality of the Borg.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

So far, I'm just not feeling O'Neils abilities as a General. He's still acting and dressing like a field officer.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

O'Neill isn't like other generals. He's not even like other people, according to Walter (the main control room guy).
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I thought O'Neil became better at General in Season 9+ and in Atlantis (and SGU for that matter). I think he just really wanted to retire and was unhappy that Stargate roped him into what was suppose to be an occasional appearance.

-Remain Star Trek-
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Ok, season 8 is now out of the way. I'm taking a short Stargate break before I hunt down seasons 9 and 10. Let's review............

Still have no idea why Teal'c grew hair, but whatever.

Carter breaks off her engagement to Pete, because she's still in love with Jack.

Daniel dies AGAIN........Acends AGAIN.......takes mortal form AGAIN.......and turns up naked, AGAIN.

Why does season 8 sound like an episode of Soap?

Regardless, some cool story lines. Annubis is still a badasss, and Ba'al IS a sneaky and conniving bastard. I miss Dr. Fraiser though. She was WAY hotter than these "docs of the week" they've got now.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

yeah Frasier was a good character.

-Remain Star Trek-