4 - Not great
No votes
3 - Rather poor
No votes
2 - Just plain bad
No votes
1 - Awful
No votes
0 - What has become of my beloved sci-fi series?
11%

Total votes: 9
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: SGU

Post by Tyyr »

The spacing of the chevrons around the ring. If its equal there would be nine. The lowest two are usually below the platform they use in SG:1 and in SG:A.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Tyyr wrote:The spacing of the chevrons around the ring. If its equal there would be nine. The lowest two are usually below the platform they use in SG:1 and in SG:A.
Ok. That's about what I figured. I knew there were nine, i just didn't know where the 9th one was.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I've never counted........are you saying there's only nine chevrons on the Stargate????
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Yes, but many more symbols.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Sorry, but what's the difference? Keep in mind I'm new to the SG universe...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:Sorry, but what's the difference? Keep in mind I'm new to the SG universe...
The chevrons are the triangle things that glow when an address is dialed. The symbols are the little squiggly lines which make up a gate address.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Got it....never really considered the difference in what they were talking about before.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

ya there are a lot of symbols, but a max of nine, and a minimum of seven can be used to dial any gate address.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Upon some quick research and using this picture then there are 9 chevrons, and 39 symbols.

Using this information then there is a total possibility of 288,819,817 stargate addresses any one stargate can dial, I'm assuming there are more than this number of gates total because I assume that the 8/9 chevron addresses lead into different local groups that can then dial to each other, but that the original couldn't.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Lt. Staplic wrote:Upon some quick research and using this picture then there are 9 chevrons, and 39 symbols.

Using this information then there is a total possibility of 288,819,817 stargate addresses any one stargate can dial, I'm assuming there are more than this number of gates total because I assume that the 8/9 chevron addresses lead into different local groups that can then dial to each other, but that the original couldn't.
Did you exclude multiple uses of the same symbol from at least the 7 symbol combinations?
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Lt. Staplic »

If I remember the calculator function then yes...

I did the 'nCr' function: you have 39(n) choose 9(r) +39 nCr 8 +39 nCr 7
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

You've gotta reduce the pool though. You've got 39 to choose from for the first but then 38 for the second 37 for the third etc. At the end the last two can be any of the 39 if I've got the dialing protocol and basics from movie right.

1,024,890,895,108,080 combinations in total using a 9 digit address of which 7 must be unique pulling from 39 symbols.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Monroe wrote:I'll be out of town but I'm hoping it'll be on hulu when I get back.

According to GateWorld, the episodes will be available on hulu the Saturday following their airing. And, folks will have 5 weeks to watch them.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Sweet. :D
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

What time does it come on tonight?