4 - Not great
No votes
3 - Rather poor
No votes
2 - Just plain bad
No votes
1 - Awful
No votes
0 - What has become of my beloved sci-fi series?
11%

Total votes: 9
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

SGU Premiere

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Star Gate Universe, It's supposed to debut this Friday (Oct. 2) here in the states on the Syfy channel. Anyone else looking forward to it?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: SGU

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lt. Staplic wrote:Star Gate Universe, It's supposed to debut this Friday (Oct. 2) here in the states on the Syfy Sci-Fi channel. Anyone else looking forward to it?
I'm not sure I'd say I'm "looking forward to it" but I'm certainly willing to give it a chance.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I think it looks great; Robert Carlyle is one of my favorite actors, and the premise sounds interesting enough.

Shame I'll likely have to wait a few years to see any of it. :?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I'll be out of town but I'm hoping it'll be on hulu when I get back.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

What's the premise of the show?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

The Ancients send out a ship to seed galaxies with star gates then send a second ship to explore said galaxies. Our worthies end up on this ship instead of back home or some other place safe. :twisted: They have to find a way back home with out degenerating into 90210 iiiiiinnn spaaaaaaace. :roll:
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Clever.

That's pretty much the plot, without the added sarcasm. :lol:

Supposedly, it's going to be "darker" than the other Stargate series.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Well I'm looking forward to it. I wish they'd be a little more forthright about the premise in the promos though.

Of course I'm a sucker for a naked chick in a pond.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Vic wrote:The Ancients send out a ship to seed galaxies with star gates then send a second ship to explore said galaxies. Our worthies end up on this ship instead of back home or some other place safe. :twisted: They have to find a way back home with out degenerating into 90210 iiiiiinnn spaaaaaaace. :roll:
I think to sum it up most basically it is?: A slightly darker Voyager but not as pessimistic as Battlestar Galactica focusing more on the characters reactions and coping with their new situation, all tied up in a Stargate setting.
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'll probably give it a watch. Here's hoping it's good.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Apparently the ship they end up on is, wait for it, billions of light years from Earth. They go there in a real hurry, without really wanting to, so have no preparation and only what personnel and equipment they had to hand when they left. And just for fun, the ship is locked onto automatic pilot, so they have no choice as to where it goes once they get there.

Sounds like it might be interesting.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

BILLIONS of light years? Wow........that's quite a ways. :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Mark wrote:BILLIONS of light years? Wow........that's quite a ways. :mrgreen:
Stargate once they introduced the Asgard really deals on a huge intergalactic scale of distances. Nothing is wrong with that, just you won't see thousands of light years as a big deal anymore :P
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Dialling to another galaxy required an 8th chevrons to be used. But astute viewers will notice that there are 9 chevrons on the gate. This address uses all 9.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Sonic Glitch »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Dialling to another galaxy required an 8th chevrons to be used. But astute viewers will notice that there are 9 chevrons on the gate. This address uses all 9.
You know, i've looked, i don't know if i've ever seen the 9th chevron...