Zat Guns

Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Zat Guns

Post by Mark »

Does anybody else just love these things? One shot stuns, two kill, and three vaporise. How cool is that. One thing confuses me. Assuming that the Zat works by delivering an electrical charge as stated when it stuns somebody, how the HELL could it vaporise somebody? I mean, I get it can kill with another electrical charge delivered quickly behind the first, but vaporize?

Thoughts?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Zat Guns

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:Does anybody else just love these things? One shot stuns, two kill, and three vaporise. How cool is that. One thing confuses me. Assuming that the Zat works by delivering an electrical charge as stated when it stuns somebody, how the HELL could it vaporise somebody? I mean, I get it can kill with another electrical charge delivered quickly behind the first, but vaporize?

Thoughts?
1. I love the Zat Guns.
2. If you watch carefully, you'll notice that the "3 shots disintegrates" is very quietly retconned/discontinued and is actually made fun of in the Wormhole X-Treme episode "That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard"
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, in Wormhole X-treme, somebody who knows nothing about Zats is the one that says that. I'm taking it that we won't see to many more "3 shots" in the future?
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mark wrote:Well, in Wormhole X-treme, somebody who knows nothing about Zats is the one that says that. I'm taking it that we won't see to many more "3 shots" in the future?
Not that I recall. Mostly because a lot of fans reacted the same way: 3 shots vaporize? :wtf: How?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It can't be vapourisation for the same reason that phasers don't vapourise people. There's no vapour.
What exactly is done is unknown.

And yeah, the 3-shot disintegration thing is retconned out of existance. It's pretty much never used again.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Also it seems to be retconned exactly how painful the stunning works. I think when they first were shown they hurt a whole lot more. Teal'c says the Goa'uld used them as a torture device. By the end of the series they look relatively painless.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

As it stands now, the effects can be shaken off easily..........more so than say a taser.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I guess if you get hit often enough, or where you get hit.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Well, Taser's seem to put you down for a bit longer than I've seen O'Neill down for.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Depends on the taser really. Plus I've seen electricians who can take some nasty wattage.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I've ZAPPED an electrician who wasn't even tickled by it. (I ended up getting tossed over a table as a result)