You're President when the Gate is activated...

Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: You're President when the Gate is activated...

Post by Coalition »

Monroe wrote:Well Air Force makes kind of sense. I agree though Army makes more sense. While they are going into the stars they are doing ground pounding. And Rangers or Green Berets or Delta Force or SEALS would be loads better. And shouldn't the capital ships have navy personnel? It has marines on it and the marines don't serve the air force.
I'd use Navy for the main command personnel, but Air Force personnel for tactical training for space combat. Naval Captains are used to having an independant command and operating that way, while Air Force officers are used to leaving their support personnel behind when they go on a mission.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I think they picked the Air Force because the USAF already had the needed personal and base of operation who were built for and used too acting on highly secret programs. Besides, you need a large force of people used to working out of the US that won't be missed. If you relocate a few thousand Marines or Army troops then people will notice. Why isn't that division on combat rotation or why is there a new USMC base in the middle of the mountain?

If the Army or Navy or USMC cuts a big hole in the ground everyone will jump all over the place. If the USAF does it, wow man, just one more in a thousand, big deal.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Navy would be easy to fit in for the space missions, "Yeah honey I'm going on an.........EastPac, yeah that's it an EastPac, I'll be gone for three months or so." Submariners even more so, they go on long patrols on a regular basis.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

True, the USN would be best for the space units. However, there's one major problem. Now you're forcing two branches to work together. By the time the SGC was in space, they had readied the USAF to handle things. If you were to do anything, it would be similar to how General Hammond ran things. USAF, USMC, USArmy, USN, wouldn't matter, they all answer to one man. If you really wanted to make it run smooth you would merge the branches under the SGC. You may be employed by any of the branches but you serve the SGC.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Good point, integration is never easy, it would have to happen pretty much from the beginning.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

They had Marines, at least, pretty much from the beginning. Honestly, I think it was handled correctly.

Of course, the fact that the US Air Force sponsored the show may have had something to do with their prominent role. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

It was operated by the Air Force in the original movie because they were the ones with the bases they would need to operate the program.
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I would at least give the teams these cause walking everywhere was just ridiculous, especially as the Jaffa were limited to walking as well. This lets you get in and out faster (less time wasted), gives you the ability to carry more (longer missions) and gives you the ability to out-run the Jaffa.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Cpl Kendall wrote:I would at least give the teams these cause walking everywhere was just ridiculous, especially as the Jaffa were limited to walking as well. This lets you get in and out faster (less time wasted), gives you the ability to carry more (longer missions) and gives you the ability to out-run the Jaffa.
Yeah i never understood why they didn't use vehicles on more open worlds.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Considering that the one I posted is tracked (and the worlds appear to resemble rural British Columbia ;) ) it should do quite well in all but the most rugged terrain. They use ATV's in Afghanistan after all.

Mind you, I'd also have units of up to company size in reserve in case a team gets in serious trouble. As well as make more extensive use of armed UAV's.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think we saw armed UAVs being used on a couple of occasions.

Agreed on those points. They need larger reserves and vehicles.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I can recall at least one armed ATV and a couple of instances where they launched ordnance from SGC to the target world.

Ya know, it might have been a good idea to relocate the SGC to a site off the Earth. Make our main base of exploration and such a few thousand light years from Earth. Give them more room to operate. They wouldn't have to worry about any pathogens they track back threatening Earth. Likewise with any aliens, etc. Heck, you could set up a firebase in front of the gate.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

They had both the alpha and beta sites where they did most of their dangerous study. Sad part is, they had to replace a number of those sites... :laughroll:
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

Rochey wrote:I think we saw armed UAVs being used on a couple of occasions.

Agreed on those points. They need larger reserves and vehicles.

Oh I don't mean that "control the UAV through the Gate for 30 minutes" nonsense. I mean taking a full on portable control centre with them and using the UAV on site. The centre's are big but you could probably split them up in between a few of those Argo's and link them up.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Just put the damn thing on autopilot for 30 seconds while you redial the gate.