Universal Reportedly Plans To Remake 'Jaws'

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Universal Reportedly Plans To Remake 'Jaws'

Post by Nutso »

Universal Reportedly Plans To Remake Jaws, Spielberg May Produce
Back to the Future Part II predicted that by 2015 we would be up to Jaws 19 (featuring holographic advertising technology!). Sadly for fans of the franchise, the original killer shark (and its counterparts in the sequels) has lain dormant since 1987’s Jaws: The Revenge. But now, according to our sources, Universal Pictures are in early development on a remake of the original.

Presumably, this will be a broad adaptation of Peter Benchley’s 1974 novel of the same name, taking us back to the summer resort town of Amity Island and its smorgasbord of shark-bait tourists. Information on precisely what they’re planning is thin on the ground at the moment, but the hope is for Steven Spielberg to produce the film (as he said in 2015 that he’d never direct a remake).

Universal don’t have anyone to get behind the camera just yet, but they’re reportedly eyeing It‘s Andy Muschietti. I would imagine the film will be set in the modern day, too, featuring a new cast of characters to set it aside from the original, but again, we don’t have a whole lot of details on the project just yet. Given that this comes to us from the same sources though who also told us Bill Murray was returning for Ghostbusters: Afterlife, a Scream reboot is in the works and a Swamp Thing movie is in development, all of which are now confirmed, we’ve no reason to doubt it.
"Reportedly" is the important word. Even if the writer's source has been reliable in the past, the word is still "reportedly." Right?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Universal Reportedly Plans To Remake 'Jaws'

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Not to mention that “plans to” is a world away from “is going to”.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I can't imagine how if could be remade. Granted I do lack an imagination. I could imagine the shark will be CGI, therefore expansive, therefore must be seen on camera quite often to justify the expense.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

This may sound like sacrilege, but I'd honestly be fine if they brought out a Jaws special edition where they replaced Bruce the Rubber Shark with a realistic CGI shark.

Of course, I'd want this as an alternative to the original film. Bring out a blu-ray or whatever with both versions on it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nutso wrote:I can't imagine how if could be remade. Granted I do lack an imagination. I could imagine the shark will be CGI, therefore expansive, therefore must be seen on camera quite often to justify the expense.
I am having a hard time too figuring how a modern day Jaws could be made.

The limitations of the robot shark pretty much made the movie the way it is. Also the time period where the internet and cell phones, 24/7 news etc would make a shark attack seem less threatening.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

McAvoy wrote:
Nutso wrote:I can't imagine how if could be remade. Granted I do lack an imagination. I could imagine the shark will be CGI, therefore expansive, therefore must be seen on camera quite often to justify the expense.
I am having a hard time too figuring how a modern day Jaws could be made.

The limitations of the robot shark pretty much made the movie the way it is. Also the time period where the internet and cell phones, 24/7 news etc would make a shark attack seem less threatening.
I'd have thought they would make it seem more threatening. It makes a cover up more urgent, knowing that if it gets out the whole world will know about it instantly.

I'm curious if they would stick closer to the book. Hooper to have an affair with Brody's wife? Or how about the Mayor's scam, to justify his desperation to cover it up? Hooper getting eaten?

Who would you cast?

I know! An all-female remake! It worked so well for Ghostbusters 2016!

Quint - A sassy black shark hunter played by Leslie Jones. "Ah HELL no, shark! You ain't goin' under with no three barrels on your ass!"
Hooper - Margot Robbie as the sexy lady shark scientist! Imagine the scene where she has the affair with Brody's wife!
Brody - Jennifer Aniston!

And Benedict Cummerbund as Bruce the shark. But in a huge third act reveal, we discover that his name is really.... KHAN!

In all seriousness, I expect a remake would flip one of the trio's gender just so it isn't such a sausage fest. I dunno who I'd cast, though. Rutger Hauer would have made a great Quint, but too late for that.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I suppose you could do a gender swap on Jaws. Provided you do it right and not make it into some political statement. Or a parody like Ghostbusters was.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Swapping the animatronic shark for his CGI girlfriend wouldn't hurt anything..............
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

No...just no!

Yes, Bruce was a joke of a machine, but the film is still a classic.

Is Hollywood so lacking in imagination and the ability to come up with new material, that they feel the need to reboot every film in their vast catalogue that made them $$$$$?
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

T'Pau wrote:No...just no!

Is Hollywood so lacking in imagination and the ability to come up with new material, that they feel the need to reboot every film in their vast catalogue that made them $$$$$?
Well yes of course.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

McAvoy wrote:

Well yes of course.
McAvoy, damn you for beating me to it! :P

*Ahem* Yes. Yes, they are lacking in creativity and imagination.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
McAvoy wrote:

Well yes of course.
McAvoy, damn you for beating me to it! :P

*Ahem* Yes. Yes, they are lacking in creativity and imagination.
Sorry!

Worse part is the reboots are far far worse than the originals. And it's not even us looking at it from rose colored glasses either.

Robocop was made unrecognizable with his all black suit. PG-13 rating. He did have the brief silver blue look that vaguely looked like the original and e en the original made a cameo though as a joke.

We have talked about Ghostbusters already.

Total Recall was alright to the point I don't remember anything about it but the original I still remember.

Star Trek counts as well. Has the issue of typical Abrams movies. Visuals over substance and logic.

Of course who can forget have three totally different Spider Man movie reboots in less than 20 years.