Today I Watched...

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Today I Watched...

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I watched Iron Man over the weekend. from such relatively-humble beginnings...
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

The moment I knew I'd love that film, was when he arrived at the village under attack, was fired on by big guns that missed, and as he walked away, a tiny shell was fired from the suit, making a gigantic explosion!!!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

And then in IM2, Hammer Industries' version didn't cause a gigantic explosion! (because technically as a "kinetic kill" missile, it was fired from too bloody close, thereby didn't have time to get to 'kinetic kill' speed! so its failure is actually on War Machine, not Hammer!)
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Earlier today (really early...midnight to 2 am), I watched From Here to Eternity (1953) starring Burt Lancaster and Montgomery Clift.

Set on an army base in Hawaii, near Pearl Harbor, in the days leading up to the Japanese attack, the story follows two romances, one of them involving a marine (Robert E. Lee Prewitt, played by Clift) being pressured into joining a boxing team (to the point where he's being bullied), and an abusive sergeant in charge of the stockade (played by Ernest Borgnine) whose favorite victim becomes a soldier (Prewitt's friend, played by Frank Sinatra) who is locked up for leaving his guard post. The climax, of course, is the attack, which I thought was very well done. Little clues here and there leading up to it (like a character walking near a calendar), and on the morning of the attack, characters going about their usual morning activities (waking up, showering, eating breakfast) as the explosions start, capturing the surprise of the moment just right.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Varthikes wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:44 pm Earlier today (really early...midnight to 2 am), I watched From Here to Eternity (1953) starring Burt Lancaster and Montgomery Clift.

Set on an army base in Hawaii, near Pearl Harbor, in the days leading up to the Japanese attack, the story follows two romances, one of them involving a marine (Robert E. Lee Prewitt, played by Clift) being pressured into joining a boxing team (to the point where he's being bullied), and an abusive sergeant in charge of the stockade (played by Ernest Borgnine) whose favorite victim becomes a soldier (Prewitt's friend, played by Frank Sinatra) who is locked up for leaving his guard post. The climax, of course, is the attack, which I thought was very well done. Little clues here and there leading up to it (like a character walking near a calendar), and on the morning of the attack, characters going about their usual morning activities (waking up, showering, eating breakfast) as the explosions start, capturing the surprise of the moment just right.
That's one of those movies I've heard a ton about, but have never seen. I must correct that one of these days.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Another one to check out: Quigley Down Under

Tom Selleck (playing Matthew Quigley) plays a sharpshooter who goes to Australia to work for a cattleman (Alan Rickman), and deal with a local problem. According to the cattleman there is some native Australian wildlife that needs removal, thus the cattleman needed people with long distance shooting skills. Laura San Giacomo also stars

Quigley's resume: Marston's 'help wanted' ad, with 6 bullet holes in it, and handwriting just saying "M Quigley, 900 yards"

(Edited name)
Last edited by Coalition on Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

It was Tom Selleck as Quigley
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I'll be watching Iron Man II this weekend. I think I'll do what Ian did and rewatch all of them. I've got them all but the Hulk one on DVD.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Today, I watched World Trade Center (2006).

About the 9/11 terrorist attacks, of course, but with a focus on two Port Authority Police Officers (played by Nicolas Cage and Michael Pena) who get trapped in the rubble of the towers after they fall and their respective families. Very well done, I thought, especially the performances from Cage and Pena.

I also watched United 93 recently--a few weeks ago on the anniversary of the attacks. That one focusing on the plane on which the passengers fought back. Also very well done. A fitting tribute to those passengers. Someday, I'll probably watch both movies back-to-back.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Yesterday I watched 'Archive'...a less interesting version of 'Ex Machina'...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Yesterday I watched "Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse" for the eighth time. I still love that movie.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Rewatched Iron Man 2. I wish Vanko had survived. He was a cool villain.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Today I watched 'Jojo Rabbit'..an oddly humor filled take on a 10yr old boy and the Nazi party towards the end of the war. Quite thoughtful in many small moments, and brutal in others. Was hesitant to see it, glad I finally did.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

T'Pau wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:29 pm Today I watched 'Jojo Rabbit'..an oddly humor filled take on a 10yr old boy and the Nazi party towards the end of the war. Quite thoughtful in many small moments, and brutal in others. Was hesitant to see it, glad I finally did.
Yes, I saw that. It was very good.
email, ergo spam
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

...'Save Yourselves!': a little 90 min film about a pair of hipsters who want to unplug from media for a week, travel to a remote cabin and miss the news of alien invasion. It is rom-com mixed with comedy, with a dash of creature feature horror. Clever idea that tackles everyday issues in interesting ways. Weird for sure, and I enjoyed the weirdness.