Today I Watched...

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Today I Watched...

Post by 00111010 01000100 »

IanKennedy wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 7:20 pm If you like “The Abyss” you should try “Deep Blue Sea”. Although I suspect you’ve seen it.
Oh yeah. I’ve seem both. Watched the Abyss when it came out in theaters (... I feel old-ish some days).

If you can find the extended version (2 hrs and 51 minutes long) of abyss, highly recommend it! Story is greatly expanded! theatrical version (Only 2 hrs and 20 minutes long) didn’t tell the whole story and there was more to the aliens intention then what’s explained (and they were about to do something crazy too!). If you look at the time differences, they cut out 31 minutes of movie. A lot can be left out in a half hour. 8-/
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

T'Pau wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:05 pm Underwater (2020): another Kristen Stewart adventure in how to use her one dimensional acting technique to ruin everything she touches!

Copy 'The Abyss' (a guilty pleasure movie fav of mine) plot line, toss in oogidy boogidy instead of cool looking jelly aliens, and prepare to cringe!

Take out credits, and it runs under 90mins...which is FAR too long.
Read the post to Ian -> have you seen the special edition/full length version? Completely flips the storyline at the end. And at 9 minutes under 3-hours long... it’s a pleasure and pain to watch. Not Star Trek Motion Picture Extended version - pain.... maybe JFK movie length pain, lol. You know, cause there’s actually story in the extra film time, not more boring scenery from inside V’ger.
“Pull a stunt like this again and I’ll court marshal you... or promote you. Either way you’ll be in big trouble”
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Even at 90 mins, I wanted it to stop waaaay earlier. No way I'd make close to 3 frikken hours of Stewart. I suffered through all 4 Twilight films...scarred for life with sparkley vamps and waives who want to be one!
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

T'Pau wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 9:55 pm Even at 90 mins, I wanted it to stop waaaay earlier. No way I'd make close to 3 frikken hours of Stewart. I suffered through all 4 Twilight films...scarred for life with sparkley vamps and waives who want to be one!
Ahaha. You should write novels or short stories.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

I do, as a matter of fact ...lol

And a cookbook...nomnomnom!

If you meant the extended Abyss, yes. No no no to an extended Underwater
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

T'Pau wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 12:36 am I do, as a matter of fact ...lol

And a cookbook...nomnomnom!

If you meant the extended Abyss, yes. No no no to an extended Underwater
I would gladly purchase some writing by you, I enjoy your witty insights and repertoire.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

:wink: We can look into that
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Tombstone (1993)

This is one of those films that, no matter how many times I've seen it, if it is on, I will tune in. In my house, the call will go out 'there's a movie on about some brothers', and the game is afoot.

Part of my profession requires exceptional memory skills, and I find myself recalling specific dialogue/monologue moments verbatim (and I'm not at all ashamed of saying them out loud if a quote-a-thon commences). And there are some doozies in this film.

For a long time, I preferred the characterization of Doc Holliday performed by Dennis Quaid in 'Wyatt Earp' over Val Kilmer. But after much reviewing over time, the over all demeanor of Kilmer's portrayal has won me over. Quaid physically starved himself to represent the 'lunger' towards the end of his life. I appreciate what it took to do that by the actor.

I've recently picked up Kilmer's book "I'm Your Huckleberry", and look forward to reading it. I'd imagine it will discuss lots of behind the scenes of all his films, etc.

Tombstone is worth a watch, or rewatch!
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

T'Pau wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:07 pm Tombstone (1993)

This is one of those films that, no matter how many times I've seen it, if it is on, I will tune in. In my house, the call will go out 'there's a movie on about some brothers', and the game is afoot.

Part of my profession requires exceptional memory skills, and I find myself recalling specific dialogue/monologue moments verbatim (and I'm not at all ashamed of saying them out loud if a quote-a-thon commences). And there are some doozies in this film.

For a long time, I preferred the characterization of Doc Holliday performed by Dennis Quaid in 'Wyatt Earp' over Val Kilmer. But after much reviewing over time, the over all demeanor of Kilmer's portrayal has won me over. Quaid physically starved himself to represent the 'lunger' towards the end of his life. I appreciate what it took to do that by the actor.

I've recently picked up Kilmer's book "I'm Your Huckleberry", and look forward to reading it. I'd imagine it will discuss lots of behind the scenes of all his films, etc.

Tombstone is worth a watch, or rewatch!
I do adore that movie. To me, there’s so much passion and rage in his face when he shouts that, “I’m coming.. and hells coming with me!”. Which is a reference to earlier in the film where the red sash cowboys crashed and murdered the wedding party. The padre quotes the Bible about revelations and the angel of death and that “hell followed with him”. Many script ties aside from this one example but it sticks in my memory more than the “I’m your huckleberry”, part.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

and they ride like the horsemen of the apocalypse..hell bound for leather! I do appreciate that the actors really worked at looking like they knew how to ride. As an equestrienne, it really is a bugaboo of mine in film and television. I can always hear my teachers in my head shouting 'Heels down!' and the like.
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

Tried to watch 'The Warrant', with Neal McDonough. I've enjoyed him in many things over the years, such as the tv series 'Justified', 'Tin Man' and various film roles. He also produced this stinker. I should have known it would be bad when the other 'star' was Casper Van Dien. To this day, I still adore all the badness of his terrible shark movies, and Starship Troopers (the brain/vagina bug, the huge beetles that fart killer plasma...just too funny), but his acting abilities are that of a male Kristen Stewart.
Steve McQueen's grandson is in this, and he did NOT inherit any talent from gramps. Turned it off after 30mins of mind numbing flashbacks.

Did watch 'My Spy', a silly comedic fluff piece with David Bautista as a bumbling CIA agent being undone by a kid. Some funny lines and ridiculous situations, but such a relief from The Warrant, that I made it to the end and laughed a little. Short and sweet and will make you forget the madness of what is happening outside.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Shifting Sands (1918)

Starring Gloria Swanson in one of her earlier roles. Here, she plays a struggling artist who is falsely accused of a crime and imprisoned. Upon being released, she meets John Stanford, a wealthy philanthropist, with whom she falls in love and marries. Years later, the man who accused her appears and attempts to blackmail her to further a criminal scheme involving secret government documents. Originally, it was released as a wartime melodrama where the antagonist was a German spy. Later, the film was re-edited and the intertitles re-written to remove the WWI angle.

I rather enjoy silent films, and I found this one quite engrossing. Swanson gives a really good performance, and the theme involving the rift between rich and poor, and the prejudice that some wealthy folks hold against the poor, is just as relevant now. And, it's always fun seeing the characters using century-old technology (telephones, cars, etc.) knowing that, at the time, it was cutting-edge.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
00111010 01000100
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

T'Pau wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:31 pm Tried to watch 'The Warrant', with Neal McDonough. I've enjoyed him in many things over the years, such as the tv series 'Justified', 'Tin Man' and various film roles. He also produced this stinker. I should have known it would be bad when the other 'star' was Casper Van Dien. To this day, I still adore all the badness of his terrible shark movies, and Starship Troopers (the brain/vagina bug, the huge beetles that fart killer plasma...just too funny), but his acting abilities are that of a male Kristen Stewart.
Steve McQueen's grandson is in this, and he did NOT inherit any talent from gramps. Turned it off after 30mins of mind numbing flashbacks.

Did watch 'My Spy', a silly comedic fluff piece with David Bautista as a bumbling CIA agent being undone by a kid. Some funny lines and ridiculous situations, but such a relief from The Warrant, that I made it to the end and laughed a little. Short and sweet and will make you forget the madness of what is happening outside.

I miss the outside, tell me... do people still.. laugh out there?
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Laugh? What is... this?
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Those who laugh do so to keep themselves from crying out in anguish.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk