"TERMINATOR 6: Dark Fate" Trailer (2019)

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: "TERMINATOR 6: Dark Fate" Trailer (2019)

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
McAvoy wrote:I feel the same way. Eventually they will just say fuck it, and reboot it. Though I suspect it will fail not how Robocop did.

Robocop failed for alot of reasons. The original had a smart satrical script and direction with a basic premise. Jesus cop gets killed, resurrected as robot Jesus cop and cleans town.

The new Robocop didn't really have that. That and they made Robocop look nothing like the original except for that one scene before they went all black. Though they should have kept the silver suit. In the end it didn't feel like Robocop.
I think they actually did the right thing in making is less a parody and more a serious movie. All the things the original parodied are still around, so you'd just be telling the same jokes over. I mean, you could have the Hummer instead of the 6000-SUX but it's just the same joke about impractical big cars with shitty mileage. You're never going to out-Robocop Robocop, so don't try.

And there is a serious movie to be made about the proliferation of drones and robot soldiers, and how a corporation might essentially 'fake' a cyborg for PR purposes. It's just... well, this one wasn't really a good take on it.
I wasn't really saying they should have done satirical Modern Day Robocop.

But I do think it's PG-13 rating hurt it and the all black Robocop suit hurt it. Personally I hated the human hand too.

I think they could have done something more with Murphy overriding his programming. I do like how it was setup where they had to modify his brain to be more robotic but maybe extend it where Murphy was unconsciously fighting the program.

That and I feel the suit was damaged too easily. I always liked the feeling that Robocop was a walking tank and you needed serious firepower to hurt him. The original gave off that feeling. The new one didn't IMO.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Finally watched the new Terminator tonight. It's not that bad actually. Yeah they killed off John Connor and basically making the first two movies irrelevant and replaced him with a Mexican woman no big deal. Definitely think they did it to get away from the past John Connor is the future messiah cliche.

There really isn't any kind of SJW agenda in the move except for the two times it was brought up Danni is give birth to a Man which was said in away like disgust. But whatever.

One thing I did take out of the movie was that CarlT-800 model seemed be actually stronger than the Rev-9. The new future version of the Terminator. It required the two halves of the Rev 9 just to rip off the Terminator's arm away from its own arm. Also it seems the swords the Rev-9 can't pierce Terminators metal exo skeleton. I noticed it was glancing off him.

Theme of the movie basically is this: humans will find a way to create Skynet but with a different name and will try to kill the human race. A leader will eventually show up and take the lead against Skynet/Legion.

Next iteration will be Spaceweb and those Terminators will be made of three parts!
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I saw this recently, didn't hate it, didn't love it.

Yeah, there isn't a whole lot of SJW stuff. You have JC swapped out for a girl, you have a girl "protector", you have a few comments disparaging the idea that a woman's value is in her reproductive system, etc. But it's not that obnoxious.

Issues I did have... I was kind of dubious about killing JC off and essentially rebooting things. I get that they really need to do that, because things had gotten so convoluted that nobody knew what the hell was happening - I've heard that somebody complained about the trailer for Genesys spoiling the entire plot, and being told "believe me, the last thing we want is people in the theatre having to make sense of this. Get that out the way before they buy the ticket!"

But it's just not the same franchise if you flush away the very core premise. I've said before, the biggest problem with Terminator in general is that it's not suitable for a franchise. It's based around a specific idea that only really works for one movie, and most of their problems come from trying to force sequels into a cinematic world that just doesn't have room for them. This suffers from that.

Another issue they've struggled with is that no subsequent Terminator has come close to the menace of the T-1000. The liquid metal Terminator is just such a cool idea, and every subsequent Terminator has seemed like a step down. They keep trying to come up with things - liquid metal over a skeleton in T3, some sort of nano-thing in Genesys, now a skeleton and liquid that can separate. But none of them have any advantage over a straight liquid metal T-1000. They do a decent job of making this Terminator feel dangerous, but it never feels as cool or interesting as a T-1k. And the actor's kind of dull.

And the new future leader... she's a fricken Hobbit! She's like three feet tall! She looks ridiculous holding a gun that's as big as she is, and more so beating up a bunch of guys.

And having old Sarah and old Arnold in the movie kind of sits uneasily with what they're doing. They want to reboot, but they also want to have the old characters in it. So we have a reboot that's pretending not to be a reboot, kinda.

None of that really made it horrible. And outside of that it's a pretty serviceable action movie. But it just felt like a cash grab to me, and pretty nakedly a cash grab at that. Give it maybe a 5 or 6 out of 10.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

The other thing is the hybrid human was pushed to the side the moment Carl (old Terminator) shows up. He becomes the real protector. Yeah she is fast and has good enough strength to hold off the Rev9. She can do it short spurts and it makes her very tired or drained.

That future flashback made me notice how real short she is.

Ultimately this film failed no because of some percieved SJW slant but because audiences no longer care about the Terminator. At this point, time to let it rest in piece and maybe in 20 years or more revisit it.