"TERMINATOR 6: Dark Fate" Trailer (2019)

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: "TERMINATOR 6: Dark Fate" Trailer (2019)

Post by Nutso »

Don't know why I keep posting these. I must admit, however, that this is vastly superior to the previous trailers. If I had seen this trailer first, I would have been more excited for this movie instead of going "meh.". Realistically though, the only surefire way for me to definitely want to see this in the theaters is if James Cameron were directing it.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yeah, that's a meh for me.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Best trailer so far. If they led off with that I might be more interested in it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

"If we don't win this one, it'll be all over." Why the hell would they include this line in the trailer, or movie? All this makes me realize is that this whole franchise will never be over because somehow, someway, Skynet keeps sending Terminators in the past, those Terminators fail, Skynet sends even more dangerous Terminators in the past, again. And if this is never ending, why would I want to see how these movies end, if there is ultimately no ending? There's nothing more for this "franchise," except Terminators coming from the future to kill John Connor, failing, then another movie to kill another messianic figure? At this point, just call the movie Terminator 6: Ouroboros.
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It's amusing to me because the first Terminator movie is so perfectly self contained. It ends with the future being preserved (and a stable time loop established), and... that's the end of the story. That's literally it. There can be no more Terminators, no more resistance fighters, because they only sent one through and then blew the time machine up, remember?

But, um, here's another two. From where? Let's just not say.

And here's more. Because... um... well why not?

And now here's the series, where time travel is practically routine and the war against Skynet is now essentially a time war. Burned out soldiers are almost literally being sent back in time for a holiday, essentially.

And there was an Arnie back when Sarah was a child, and who sent him is classified, so don't think about it. Stop thinking about it, audience! Stop it!

And... and... and...

It's the most ridiculous series of "never mind logic, we need a cash grab" around. And now that most of the attempts to continue it have crashed and burned, we're actually watching 60 and 70+ year-old actors doing action sequences. Can it be long before we're watching a Terminator with a zimmer frame and a colostomy bag?

Much as I enjoy aspects of the franchise, it's just plain nuts.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I can forgive those issues in Terminator 2, the fact that Skynet, and John Connor can each send their own Terminators back in time because that movie is genuinely enjoyable, with some real heart and human emotion in it, and that characterization was the real important part of the movie. I can almost forgive T3 because of the ending revealing that this Terminator was sent back in time to facilitate Jon Connor's eventual rise to leader of the resistance but, the movie has nothing to it other than that ending.

Terminator: Salvation should have been cool because it dealt with the war we heard about in these previous movies, and it was headlined by Christian Bale, as the legendary John Connor we've been hearing about all this time, at his most popular. Instead Salvation's heavy emotional lifting is given to newcomer, Sam "Bland" Worthington. I was really looking forward to Christian Bale, not this other guy. Things just happen in this movie barely anyone to care about. I've never re-watched it because it's neither good nor bad. It's just there.

Terminator: Genisys, I get it, it's a reboot to make this into a recurring franchise but, this is not the Marvel Cinematic Universe. It's not the DCU. There is no "Terminator Universe." Terminator revolves around one concept, "an unstoppable killer from the future vs a pathetically mortal human from the future, they are both battling over the future of humanity." There's not much more can be done with that concept, except waste money. Creating a new universe where the cool shit I loved and still re-watch didn't happen because of reasons, isn't going to make me further invested into this thing.

This current movie trailer seems to think that I am so stupid that by including the line, "If we don't win this one, it'll be all over," I'll forget the other times it was going to be all over and be really interested in continuing to watch this bloated, rotting corpse of a franchise. Plus they're splashing James Cameron's name all over these trailers, like I will confuse "From Producer James Cameron" to "Directed by James Cameron."
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

So what I am getting out of this is that the future where John Connor is the savior of the human race is gone. The future has been replaced by someone else. I guess a female John Connor I suppose. Is that what it looks like?

Don't know about the female Terminator. Maybe she is a resistance made Terminator.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
AlexMcpherson79
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by AlexMcpherson79 »

Watched it last night.

Okay, Spoilers ahead.
At the beginning of the film, seemingly not long after the end of T2, another Terminator shows up (arnie model) and kills John. However, it is implied that they had already averted the "Skynet takes over" future by destroying cyberdyne. Sometime later, Sarah tells the other main characters that someone was sending her times and locations and sure enough, its where someone or thing comes from the future, and that's what she's been doing since T2/Loosing John. cue the blonde we see in the trailer. She's an augmented human named Grace, sent back to protect a young woman named Dani. The Terminator sent to kill Dani, is a 'Red Seven'... and both Grace, and the R7 is from a future where a different AI took over and tried to wipe out humanity, sent by from 2040 something. At first, when telling the story to Sarah (who intercepted them because she'd been sent to the location of the two time portals in mexico), Sarah pre-empts the end by saying that Dani is the mother of the future leader of the resistance, but end of the film reveals that no, Dani is the leader and she sent Grace back.
Bigger spoiler:
The Terminator T-800 model 101 that killed john, finding his 'orders fulfilled' had nothing to do but *infiltrate*, and ended up in a relationship with a woman who had a son he then ended up helping to raise, and he basically grew a conscience, felt guilty of a sort and began helping sarah stop time traveling terminators in their tracks, and sacrifices himself to destroy the Red Seven played by Gabriel Luna.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So reports are coming in that the movie is significantly underperforming.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Third time in ten years they tried to create a trilogy of Terminator movies and failed each time.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

McAvoy wrote:Third time in ten years they tried to create a trilogy of Terminator movies and failed each time.
Terminator is not a franchise. Unless they're willing to go cheesy like, "Nightmare on Elm St.," "Friday the 13th," or "Halloween," and just have a series of increasingly dangerous, and therefore sillier, Terminators from the future chasing down the future messiah, there's just not much more they can do with this story. Ironically, by constantly keeping him/her on the run, Skynet will ensure that the messiah can never have time to gather his/her troops and lead the war to defeat the machines but, then Skynet will never need to send Terminators in to the past because they will not have been defeated.

The natural progression would have been Terminator: Salvation, and more future war stories. Maybe a one-off that culminates in the revelation that Skynet destroyed civilization to save humanity from the monster it created in Skynet.
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

My prediction (write this down, folks!) :

They will wait about 5-10 years, and then reboot the whole thing with a remake of The Terminator. A genuine total reboot, like Total Recall or Robocop did. And it will probably flop, like Total Recall and Robocop did.

Hollywood really doesn't get that people can simultaneously love a thing, and yet not want any more of it.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I feel the same way. Eventually they will just say fuck it, and reboot it. Though I suspect it will fail not how Robocop did.

Robocop failed for alot of reasons. The original had a smart satrical script and direction with a basic premise. Jesus cop gets killed, resurrected as robot Jesus cop and cleans town.

The new Robocop didn't really have that. That and they made Robocop look nothing like the original except for that one scene before they went all black. Though they should have kept the silver suit. In the end it didn't feel like Robocop.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

McAvoy wrote:I feel the same way. Eventually they will just say fuck it, and reboot it. Though I suspect it will fail not how Robocop did.

Robocop failed for alot of reasons. The original had a smart satrical script and direction with a basic premise. Jesus cop gets killed, resurrected as robot Jesus cop and cleans town.

The new Robocop didn't really have that. That and they made Robocop look nothing like the original except for that one scene before they went all black. Though they should have kept the silver suit. In the end it didn't feel like Robocop.
I think they actually did the right thing in making is less a parody and more a serious movie. All the things the original parodied are still around, so you'd just be telling the same jokes over. I mean, you could have the Hummer instead of the 6000-SUX but it's just the same joke about impractical big cars with shitty mileage. You're never going to out-Robocop Robocop, so don't try.

And there is a serious movie to be made about the proliferation of drones and robot soldiers, and how a corporation might essentially 'fake' a cyborg for PR purposes. It's just... well, this one wasn't really a good take on it.