From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Henry Cavill Out as Superman

Post by Nutso »

Henry Cavill Out as Superman Amid Warner Bros.' DC Universe Shake-Up

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... m=referral
The DC cinematic universe appears to be losing its Man of Steel.

Henry Cavill, who has played Superman in three films, is parting ways with Warner Bros., sources tell The Hollywood Reporter. Though neither side is confirming, the British actor, who first donned the blue suit for 2013's Man of Steel, and then starred in 2016's Batman v. Superman and last year's Justice League, is said to be hanging up the red cape.

Warners had been trying to enlist Cavill, who most recently co-starred in Mission: Impossible — Fallout, for a Superman cameo in Shazam!, which stars Zachary Levi and will bow April 5. But contract talks between Cavill's WME reps and Warners broke down, and the door is now closing on other potential Superman appearances.

That's because the studio has shifted its focus to a Supergirl movie, which will be an origin story featuring a teen superheroine. This effectively removes an actor of Cavill's age from the storyline's equation given that Superman, aka Kal-El, would be an infant, according to DC lore.

Furthermore, Warners isn't likely to make a solo Superman film for at least several years, according to another source. "Superman is like James Bond, and after a certain run you have to look at new actors," says a studio source. As such, Cavill will join Ben Affleck, who isn't expected to reprise his role for director Matt Reeves' forthcoming Batman stand-alone film, as a hero on the way out.

A Warners source says the Shazam! deal fell apart because of scheduling conflicts. And that is backed up by the fact that Cavill recently signed on to star in the Netflix series The Witcher. However, another source says that the Witcher commitment came after the Warners impasse, suggesting a change in Warners' strategy.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Henry Cavill Out as Superman

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

In truth he must have finally grown a beard large enough that the studio wouldn't even attempt to digitally shave him. :P
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Eh... looking back, I'm not sure I ever really liked him as Superman. He's a pale, mopey shadow compared to Christopher Reeve, George Reeves, or Dean Cain.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:In truth he must have finally grown a beard large enough that the studio wouldn't even attempt to digitally shave him. :P
They've digitially wiped him away.
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Eh... looking back, I'm not sure I ever really liked him as Superman. He's a pale, mopey shadow compared to Christopher Reeve, George Reeves, or Dean Cain.
Is it his fault for the mopiness, or Snyder's?
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I blame Snyder. Cavill could have been a good Superman, but he never got the chance.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Graham Kennedy wrote:I blame Snyder. Cavill could have been a good Superman, but he never got the chance.
Deconstructing Superman, that what the people want to see. Superman investigating the impact he has on the world. Exciting. No wonder Snyder overcompensated with those mindless, destructive, noisy fistfights. Michael Bay could have done better.
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Nutso wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Eh... looking back, I'm not sure I ever really liked him as Superman. He's a pale, mopey shadow compared to Christopher Reeve, George Reeves, or Dean Cain.
Is it his fault for the mopiness, or Snyder's?
I don't know, but it was still damned off-putting and depressing.
Nutso wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:I blame Snyder. Cavill could have been a good Superman, but he never got the chance.
Deconstructing Superman, that what the people want to see. Superman investigating the impact he has on the world. Exciting. No wonder Snyder overcompensated with those mindless, destructive, noisy fistfights. Michael Bay could have done better.
Ah... no, it's not. I sure as hell don't wanna see any bullshit deconstruction o Superman! Fuck deconstructions!
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Cavil would have done fine as Superman if he didn't have directors who wanted to make him a grim mopey Superman. Edgy I guess.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I've said it before - Snyder is apparently on record as being an Objectivist. One of those Ayn Rand fans whose life philosophy sums up to "all for me, and fuck the rest of you".

As such, he utterly fails to understand Superman because the idea of somebody doing something for another person entirely because it was the right thing to do, a moral duty, even, is utterly anathema to an Objectivist. "With great power comes great responsibility" is pretty much the diametric opposite of Objectivism.

So Snyder would see Superman save somebody and wonder why he would do that if there's nothing he can gain from it. I'm firmly convinced that this is why these movies seem to want to keep on emphasising that Superman doesn't have to save people, and maybe he shouldn't even try. It's why he acts like saving them is some great burden.

I rewatched Superman Returns the other day. When he saves the airplane it's a great thrilling scene. But it's the thirty seconds after that which are probably my favourite scene in the whole movie, because Supes walks to the door of the plane and looks out. And we get a montage of people all over the city - in the stadium, in bars, in the Daily Planet, standing around on the street, in mission control, and they're all just hollering with joy, cheering, clapping... the whole city is just so damn happy that Superman is back! Lives have been saved, disaster averted, and we have Superman again! Yay! Who wouldn't cheer that!

Well, apparently Snyder wouldn't. In Snyder's worldview Superman saving people leads to suspicion and misgivings. It's a sign that some creepy alien agenda might be at work. Protests, and complaints, and accusations... boooo, Superman.

I genuinely pity poor Cavill, landing the role of Superman and then having to play that.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Graham Kennedy wrote:I've said it before - Snyder is apparently on record as being an Objectivist. One of those Ayn Rand fans whose life philosophy sums up to "all for me, and fuck the rest of you".

As such, he utterly fails to understand Superman because the idea of somebody doing something for another person entirely because it was the right thing to do, a moral duty, even, is utterly anathema to an Objectivist. "With great power comes great responsibility" is pretty much the diametric opposite of Objectivism.

So Snyder would see Superman save somebody and wonder why he would do that if there's nothing he can gain from it. I'm firmly convinced that this is why these movies seem to want to keep on emphasising that Superman doesn't have to save people, and maybe he shouldn't even try. It's why he acts like saving them is some great burden.

I rewatched Superman Returns the other day. When he saves the airplane it's a great thrilling scene. But it's the thirty seconds after that which are probably my favourite scene in the whole movie, because Supes walks to the door of the plane and looks out. And we get a montage of people all over the city - in the stadium, in bars, in the Daily Planet, standing around on the street, in mission control, and they're all just hollering with joy, cheering, clapping... the whole city is just so damn happy that Superman is back! Lives have been saved, disaster averted, and we have Superman again! Yay! Who wouldn't cheer that!

Well, apparently Snyder wouldn't. In Snyder's worldview Superman saving people leads to suspicion and misgivings. It's a sign that some creepy alien agenda might be at work. Protests, and complaints, and accusations... boooo, Superman.

I genuinely pity poor Cavill, landing the role of Superman and then having to play that.
That's probably why Snyder's Superman is so dour. Saving lives is a burden to this Objectivist Superman. George Reeves, Christopher Reeve, and Brandon Routh's Superman saved lives because they could, and smiled while doing it. It probably felt good to save people. Chris Reeve and Brandon Routh's Superman watched, powerless, as their father died of a heart-attack. They could do nothing to save him. A very humanizing element to this story, and something that comes into play later as adult Superman turns back time. Cavill's Superman, on the other hand, could save his father from the tornado but, was ordered to stay put and watch him die. So I supposed, the objectivist would need to give Superman a reason to saves lives- because he had the power once, and didn't. Even though his father ordered him not to, and he obeyed like a good son, so he shouldn't feel bad. And as an objectivist, it's expected that the individual look out for #1, so it's good he let his dad die, right? This movie is confusing.
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Both of you bring up good points and the difference between how they portray Superman's father dying is a good contrast.

I think Man of Steel is a reaction to Superman Returns. Alot of people complained that there was no big battle Superman had to fight in Returns. So the studio for the reboot decided to make a big fight thinking that is what the public wanted. At the core, Man of Steel had a good story line. But the execution of it wasn't good enough.

Between the wide spread destruction and death caused by the fight in his first public appearance as Superman to the whole dull color of the movie to make it look so dark and grim to the small details such as Costner dying from something Superman could have prevented.

Then to jump forward without a sequel to a world still dark and dreary where the public still doesn't trust him. But at least trying to be Superman. He ends up dying to the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle reject, which Wonder Woman could have easily done it herself.

Jump to the Justice movie where all of a sudden everyone seems to mourn him. It was so fast and rushed.

Hell the newest Death of Superman cartoon movie did a much better job to the lead up to and after his death.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yeah, I was confused by that attitude. I assume it's because a lot of the comics are Superman fighting various powerful villains and monsters and whatnot? My only real experience of Superman is from the movies, and my main impression of him is that he's about saving not fighting. I remember seeing Kevin Smith bitterly complaining about Superman Returns that "You know in that whole movie he didn't throw one punch!" And being like "WTF... is that what Superman is supposed to be about to you?"

And yeah, they sure seem to have had that in mind with Man of Steel.
Jump to the Justice movie where all of a sudden everyone seems to mourn him. It was so fast and rushed.
Yeah, this was weird. They spent basically two movies hyping up the idea that people didn't like or trust Superman, and then it was like they turned on a dime when he died and claimed that the whole world went into mourning and started falling apart without him. It felt positively schizophrenic.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Graham Kennedy wrote:I've said it before - Snyder is apparently on record as being an Objectivist. One of those Ayn Rand fans whose life philosophy sums up to "all for me, and fuck the rest of you".

Yeah. Fuck objectivism. And it makes perfect sense as to why his Superman is portrayed so... "Ah, man! I gotta save more people?!"
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Yeah. Fuck objectivism. And it makes perfect sense as to why his Superman is portrayed so... "Ah, man! I gotta save more people?!"
Makes me think of the Mr Incredible interview, where he is complaining about so many villains that he just got finished cleaning the place up, can't it stay clean for a little bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4UVbAgZbUc
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)