James Gunn fired from Disney/Marvel Studios

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

James Gunn fired from Disney/Marvel Studios

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

A conservative political commentator dug up some old twitter posts by Gunn with outrageous and offensive material, evidently motivated to expose alleged double standards or something. At any rate, right in the middle of Comic-Con it was announced that Gunn will no longer work on any Marvel properties. The immediate ramification is that the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise will change hands; Gunn directed the first two installations and was set to begin filming vol. 3 next year.

https://www.cnet.com/news/disney-report ... er-tweets/
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: James Gunn fired from Disney/Marvel Studios

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Now it seems the twitter reveal was retribution by an 'alt-right' troll for Gunn endorsing anti-Trump positions.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I strongly disagree with this. You shouldn't be held accountable for statements from the past, if so pretty much any teenager with social media will never have a high profile job ever.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Teaos wrote:I strongly disagree with this. You shouldn't be held accountable for statements from the past, if so pretty much any teenager with social media will never have a high profile job ever.
I can't do much but agree with this.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I've nothing against holding people accountable for their past statements as such... but in this case, this issue had already been dealt with. The tweets had surfaced before, years ago. Gunn had apologised for them, IIRC he even sat down with some pedophilia victim group or something, who came out saying they were fine with it. Everyone had moved on.

But after Roseanne got fired, some Conservative types are going around trying to dig up any dirt they can on left wing celebrities and then demanding that they be fired. They see it as "forcing them to operate by the rules they impose on us", even though the Gunn and Roseanne cases aren't really similar - one being bad taste jokes, the other being actual beliefs and public attacks on a specific person.

But Disney being Disney, of course they don't want to be accused of endorsing that kind of material. Conservatives are already jumping up and down on anybody who defends Gunn, claiming they are soft on pedophilia.

There's considerable backlash to this, from what I'm seeing. Some have suggested he might even be re-hired, though that seems unlikely to me.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I personally won't pay to see the new movie if he's not rehired. Only 1 person but I find this type of knee jerk reaction pathetic.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Honestly there is a pretty big difference between old tweets that person A never repeated ever again. Versus person B constantly repeating the old tweets.

One is a mistake and the other is pretty much reinforcement of the person's actual views.

Such as digging up old tweets from Trump or the whole Roseanne thing.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

They done it to Dan Harmon too.

Dan Harmon is the latest Hollywood figure targeted by a deep-diving alt-right crusade
The video, which aired as part of the longstanding comedy festival Channel 101, showed Harmon breaking into a house and abusing a baby doll. The original intent was to mock Dexter’s approach to murder — the main character hunts and kills other serial killers — by attempting to swap the concept of murder for rape. As a joke, it failed, and in a statement released Monday night, Harmon succinctly apologized for it:

In 2009, I made a ‘pilot’ which strove to parody the series Dexter and only succeeded in offending. I quickly realized the content was way too distasteful and took the video down immediately. Nobody should ever have to see what you saw and for that, I sincerely apologize.

Unlike Disney and Gunn, Adult Swim, which airs Rick and Morty, is standing by Harmon. The network released a statement strongly condemning Harmon’s 2009 joke but reminding everyone that “Dan recognized his mistake at the time and has apologized.”
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

At least AS showed some cojones.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast