From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

New "Dune" movie to be Two-Parts

Post by Nutso »

Denis Villeneuve confirms that his Dune adaptation will be two films

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/05/ ... two-films/
Following on from the critically-acclaimed Arrival and Blade Runner 2049, director Denis Villeneuve is prepping for his next sci-fi offering, an adaptation of Frank Herbert’s seminal novel Dune.

Villeneuve has previously stated that his goal is “to make two films, maybe more” and now the filmmaker has confirmed to La Press (via DarkHorizons) that he will be splitting the epic sci-fi tale in two.

“Eric Roth has written the first draft and then I worked on it on my side,” said Villeneuve, who has described Dune as a dream project of his. “I have not had such fun creatively since Incendies. I wish I could direct both movies at the same time but it would have been too expensive. We’ll do them one at a time.”

Splitting the adaptation in two certainly seems like a smart decision given the scope and depth of the story and Herbert’s world, not to mention the criticism that Villeneuve received for Blade Runner 2049’s lengthy running time
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: New "Dune" movie to be Two-Parts

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I just can't see that a movie or even TV series of Dune could do the story properly. So much of what happens in Dune is internal, characters thinking about what somebody just said and what it might actually mean and how to respond - it's not filmable stuff.

I guess the best we can hope for is a kind of "not really Dune but pretty good" vibe.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Denis Villeneuve's Dune Will Only Dive Into Half of the First Book
Author and Dune film consultant Brian Herbert announced on Twitter that he’s looking over the latest draft of Legendary’s Dune script, and confirmed that the first film will only tackle half of the first book in the six-part original Dune saga. This most likely means the first half, but I’m sure the film could jump around a bit as needed for the plot and characters.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well, the book is split into to very clearly divided halves, so I can see that.

Hmmm, so the first film will end with the Harkonnen all but exterminating the Atreides. Interesting.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

I just got through reading this book the second time around. Paul, his mother, Gurney Halleck, and Thufir Hawat were the only survivors of House Atreides, and as always, there was so much more to the book than in the 1984 movie with Kyle Maclachlan and Patrick Stewart. I hope they give this movie the respect it deserves.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-