VENOM - Official Teaser Trailer (HD)

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: VENOM - Official Teaser Trailer (HD)

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Just back from seeing this with Ian.

Okay, first, I liked it quite a lot. It's actually not a bad film at all, though it's not a really great one either.

What elevates it is Tom Hardy's Eddie Brock. Everyone around Hardy is playing their role pretty straight and about like you'd expect, but Hardy is doing something... well it's hard to describe. It's just plain weird, he plays the whole thing like he's a bit drunk or high or just plain floundering around wondering what the hell is going on. It gives the movie something of a comedic vibe. Whether you like the movie is going to depend a lot on whether you find his performance enjoyable or offputting.

I did find a lot of the action too quick-cut-shaky to clearly see what was going on, which is a significant drawback.

But overall, it's worth checking out.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Watched it also, it is less of a horror/superhero movie, and soon becomes more like a buddy cop movie, with the Venom symbiote snarking off Eddie (and actually giving him good advice when talking with his ex girlfriend).

One bit of humor in the movie:
After Eddie drops off a McGuffin on his ex-boss's desk, Eddie asks how they are going to leave
Venom: "Jump out the window"
(Eddie is scared of heights, so we get a scene cut to Eddie standing in front of the building's elevators)
Venom: "Coward"
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Coalition wrote:Watched it also, it is less of a horror/superhero movie, and soon becomes more like a buddy cop movie, with the Venom symbiote snarking off Eddie (and actually giving him good advice when talking with his ex girlfriend).

One bit of humor in the movie:
After Eddie drops off a McGuffin on his ex-boss's desk, Eddie asks how they are going to leave
Venom: "Jump out the window"
(Eddie is scared of heights, so we get a scene cut to Eddie standing in front of the building's elevators)
Venom: "Coward"
That was - apart from a couple of nonsensical inconsistancies - the biggest problem of the movie imho. It couldn't decide if it wants to be a "serious" horrormovie, or a comedy. Now personaly I wouldn't have minded if they fully go with the buddy cop movie routine (don't know the comics, but Venom symbiont being more of an anti-hero type like deadpool...yes, I can see that working, mostly because of Hardy's excellent work.).

But all this eating people alive in a horrible manner somehow is a bit hard to overlook and be ok with. I don't know...this works maybe with Deadpool.......but still....horrible alien eating people alive and then cracking a joke and nobody else seeming to mind it......?

As I said...the movie has a tonal problem. A huge one.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Finally saw it. Pretty enjoyable overall. Slow in the beginning but whatever.

They were pretty vague on what made the symbiots incomparable. High doubt Riot was comparable with the bad guy. Or that lack of eating killed them too. Afterall chocolate and tater tots seems to satisfy Venom.

Though I did enjoy that Riot was using comic book Venom weapons whereas Venom did not. Maybe Venom could get stronger and develop those weapons himself.

Female Venom was great though.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Atekimogus wrote: But all this eating people alive in a horrible manner somehow is a bit hard to overlook and be ok with. I don't know...this works maybe with Deadpool.......but still....horrible alien eating people alive and then cracking a joke and nobody else seeming to mind it......?

True, the symbiote should have made comment (after eating someone's head) about it being 'brain food'
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park