Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Pacific Rim 2: Uprising

Post by Nutso »

It's worth noting that Guillermo Del Toro did not direct this movie. Also I don't know the song in the trailer, but I hate it already.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Yeah, terrible music.

But they seem to have put most of the fights in the daylight this time, and that was one of the biggest failings of the first movie.

Plus there seems to be intrigue and shenanigans going on, so we may get an actual interesting story to watch. Which was another of the biggest failings of the first movie.

I am cautious, but hopeful.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Giant robots punch giant lizards. It's always going to be watchable.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I more or less hated the first movie. It promised me giant robots fighting giant monsters and then gave me confused shadows moving around in the dark for most of the movie.

Also, didn't help that the first five minutes of the movie described a much more interesting story than the one it then gave us for the next couple of hours.

Whoever made Uprising seemed to have the same thoughts, and he gave me the robo-monster action I wanted! The action happens mostly in daylight, without shaking the camera around too much. And more amazingly, it's even true to the first movie - I expected them to be like "Oh, the alien things are just back now, because we need a sequel." But no, the story of this movie flows smoothly from where the last one left off.

The characters are all pretty much meh. None of them have much in the way of a character arc or development. Actually the one I liked best was the Japanese Mega-Bitch Corporation woman, just because she came closest to having some kind of character evolution, even if it was all just writer's games.

Of course, it's still utterly preposterous nonsense from start to finish. As was the original movie. The main difference is that this was fun and enjoyable preposterous nonsense!

Also 7/10, maybe even 8.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I honest never had an issue with the fights in the first movie as far as how dark or how the camera was.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"