Predatory romance in Hollywood movies

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Predatory romance in Hollywood movies

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I did a thread about this a while back in the Star Wars forum, but I stumbled across this video recently. It retreads the same ground, but goes on to demonstrate that Harrison Ford characters actually do this quite a bit. As do plenty of other male characters.

It's an interesting perspective, given what's going on in the entertainment industry right now.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Predatory romance in Hollywood movies

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah. It unsettlingly reminds me of, "Write what you know."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Lest it be unclear, I don't think Harrison really enjoys playing these scenes or endorses this viewpoint. Rather, I think this is how a large part of Hollywood views sexuality, and Harrison just happens to have played several of the most iconic "Macho Alpha Male" characters in cinema history.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

The Blade Runner one was bad. Deckard hates Replicants and views them as machines but, that music is blurring the issue because that is not a romantic/seductive scene at all. It's fucking scary. If the point of the movie is that Deckard is a piece of shit towards the Replicants' until Roy Batty saves his life and gives that speech, whereby Deckard realizes he is less human than the machines he hunts and kills for a living, the music in that "seduction" scene betrays it.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park