Movie remakes you'd actually want to see

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Movie remakes you'd actually want to see

Post by Graham Kennedy »

And it's not taken as an offence. I just find it curious that anybody could look at a movie that is almost universally regarded as groundbreaking in its special effects / monster creation and say that it doesn't exceed the original movie because the monster was in the book.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Lucy - Make it where the Drug Lord realizes what had to have happened, and he takes the drug as well. The end is Lucy trying to transfer the data before she dies, protecting humanity (forward and backward in time), and trying to survive. She eventually lures him to the impact site of the Chicxclub meteor, and he is killed. She bounces off in time to where she lives, but cannot take the fast way back. So she has to be humanity's ancestor (Lucy), and at the end the statue in the anthropological museum winks.

Transcendence - make the film where fanaticism is the enemy, not Luddites or futurism. The lack of communications on both sides is what causes the fight and eventual loss of tech to the world. Also have it where Dr Caster admits that the base in the desert was a major computing center for him, but he had already uploaded to a lunar base where he and Evelyn Caster (his wife) are standing up, and looking at the stars. You might even have part of that scene show lights going off all over the dark side of Earth, and they weep for the deaths that will occur (due to hospital failures, power loss, food shipments, assisted living, etc). But they will have a quiet future exploring, and humanity will rebuild.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Graham Kennedy wrote:And it's not taken as an offence. I just find it curious that anybody could look at a movie that is almost universally regarded as groundbreaking in its special effects / monster creation and say that it doesn't exceed the original movie because the monster was in the book.
Well, there other matters of taste - Jim Butcher books, for example - on which you and I disagree, but I don't have an issue with that either. I personally don't understand how an adult can read one and have an experience any better than "crap," but you don't need my understanding of your enjoyment for your enjoyment to exist.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:And it's not taken as an offence. I just find it curious that anybody could look at a movie that is almost universally regarded as groundbreaking in its special effects / monster creation and say that it doesn't exceed the original movie because the monster was in the book.
Well, there other matters of taste - Jim Butcher books, for example - on which you and I disagree, but I don't have an issue with that either. I personally don't understand how an adult can read one and have an experience any better than "crap," but you don't need my understanding of your enjoyment for your enjoyment to exist.
I don't disagree with any of that. But at the same time, whether a particular movie did something new or revolutionary is not nearly so subjective, yes?

I can certainly understand a person liking the original 50s movie more than the Carpenter remake, or vice versa. But I do think that any unbiased person would have to admit that the original creature, whilst it may be wonderful, was not terribly original in its execution. Likewise whilst one may think the Carpenter Thing was boring and a terrible monster, one would be hard pressed to sensibly deny that the special effects work which created it broke new ground.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Graham Kennedy wrote:I'd kind of like to see a well done version of the War of the Worlds. I do love the 50s version, but I'd like to see one set in Victorian England, following the original story more faithfully.

The less said about the Tom Cruise version, the better.
Ooh, ooh! Seconded! I would kill to see that! :D
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

I would see that as well, from behind splayed fingers during the creepy eye stalk beam of death moments...lol
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

The sacrifice of the HMS Thunderchild must be seen in its glory!
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Triumph of the Will

Wait...
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Bryan Moore wrote:Triumph of the Will

Wait...
I'm sure Trump will get around to it.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Graham Kennedy wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:Triumph of the Will

Wait...
I'm sure Trump will get around to it.
The sad part is, you may be right.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Graham Kennedy wrote: I can certainly understand a person liking the original 50s movie more than the Carpenter remake, or vice versa. But I do think that any unbiased person would have to admit that the original creature, whilst it may be wonderful, was not terribly original in its execution. Likewise whilst one may think the Carpenter Thing was boring and a terrible monster, one would be hard pressed to sensibly deny that the special effects work which created it broke new ground.
Dear Baphomet, like a dog with a bone. *sigh* Yes, Graham, I will fully readily accede that the SFX work involved in creating Campbell's vision for the monster that went into Carpenter's The Thing was groundbreaking.

BTW, I thought of one: The Creature from the Black Lagoon. I love that film, but there's no denying that the style, writing, and performances are irrevocably mired in the paradigm of its time. Keep the plot, keep the thematic elements (which incredibly for the time, weren't displayed in hyperbolic or overly obvious fashion,) and update the dialogue, look, and SFX. And maybe lose the racism against native Amazonians.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote: I can certainly understand a person liking the original 50s movie more than the Carpenter remake, or vice versa. But I do think that any unbiased person would have to admit that the original creature, whilst it may be wonderful, was not terribly original in its execution. Likewise whilst one may think the Carpenter Thing was boring and a terrible monster, one would be hard pressed to sensibly deny that the special effects work which created it broke new ground.
Dear Baphomet, like a dog with a bone. *sigh* Yes, Graham, I will fully readily accede that the SFX work involved in creating Campbell's vision for the monster that went into Carpenter's The Thing was groundbreaking.
Then we have a sense in which the remake outdid the original.
BTW, I thought of one: The Creature from the Black Lagoon. I love that film, but there's no denying that the style, writing, and performances are irrevocably mired in the paradigm of its time. Keep the plot, keep the thematic elements (which incredibly for the time, weren't displayed in hyperbolic or overly obvious fashion,) and update the dialogue, look, and SFX. And maybe lose the racism against native Amazonians.
You may be in luck - there's supposed to be a remake on the way.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:The sacrifice of the HMS Thunderchild must be seen in its glory!
Thirded.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I would love to see a good remake of The Lost World (old silent film based on the novel, which aside from really old effects was IMO the best version). I know technically a book adaptation...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

stitch626 wrote:I would love to see a good remake of The Lost World (old silent film based on the novel, which aside from really old effects was IMO the best version). I know technically a book adaptation...
Did you see the BBC miniseries of that from a while back? They basically were looking for something to do with their CGI dinosaurs after the Walking With Dinosaurs series.

It's a pretty decent take on it.