"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Wonder Woman Official Trailer

Post by Mikey »

Saw this the other day. Did not improve my opinion.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Okay, the ending just killed the trailer in the worst way. :bangwall:
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Just curious, what are people actually hoping for from this movie? What would you like to see that would make it a success, and what would make you wince?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Just curious, what are people actually hoping for from this movie? What would you like to see that would make it a success, and what would make you wince?
I have never been a Wonder Woman fan. I am hoping for something that doesn't want to make a realistic superhero movie, like Zac Snyder's Man of Steel. She's an Amazon from the Ancient Greek legends, I don't need to make her 'realistic" to like her. Superman is realistic and I don't like him, and I hope he stays dead.

I hope for a glimpse of that Greek Mythology but, some fish out of water moments when she is in "Man's World," that doesn't make me roll my eyes. I hope for subtlety in that regard. From the trailer I liked her not understanding the revolving door concept with her sword and shield but, winced at the "It doesn't go with the outfit " part.

Honestly I don't expect much from Gal Gadot as far as acting goes, and I can barely understand her, so I expect Chris Pine will do the heavy lifting as far as acting and bringing the charisma and likeability.

I like Danny Huston as an actor, and the trailer did pique my interest when they showed him to have strength enough to challenge Wonder Woman, so she's not just going to be mindlessly chopping down men, Nazis they may be. Nor does he appear to be a mindless hulking brute like Doomsday. Hopefully there's some characterization and motivation for this character that's understandable yet repulsive, whomever this character may be. I can guess who he is but, I don't really know DC all that well.

I am also kind of wincing at the "she is more special than anyone else" bit because I am still butthurt over the Star Wars prequels and Anakin's being the Chosen One.

I definitely don't want to see any blue light beams/explosions in the sky.
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I've been a WW fan, but not of the comics - I only really know the character from the old Lynda Carter series, so I can't claim any expertiese on what she "should" be.

I like the idea of the Greek mythology origins, and they do seem to be playing into that with Diana mentioning that she was created by them. I wonder if they will treat the gods as gods or go the "sufficiently advanced technology" route a la Marvel's Asgard.
I like Danny Huston as an actor, and the trailer did pique my interest when they showed him to have strength enough to challenge Wonder Woman, so she's not just going to be mindlessly chopping down men, Nazis they may be.
She's in World War I, so no Nazis. :)

I'm intrigued that the movie seems to indicate a "Germans invading Paradise Island" scene. If the other natives are as powerful as Diana, you'd think that would really not go well for the Germans. Though I get the vibe of the "natives with spears helpless against guns" kind from the trailer, so maybe they play it that way?

Really, I'll be happy if we get some good "Wonder Woman likes to fight" scenes, and they come up with a bad guy that's a solid challenge for her to overcome.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I think one of the great problems here is really understanding WW's identity (as a fictional character, not her "secret identity.") She's become such a recognizable face as part of the Justice League, etc., that DC pretty much had to give her a movie; but as a former comic-book guy who was more into Marvel than DC, I can't really say much about her... and I think that's a pretty predominant condition. Early Wonder Woman (she began in 1941, IIRC,) was exactly what you'd expect from the society of that day - an excuse for softcore rope bondage pics in a comic book. Even getting past that, there was a very strange dichotomy in her character between the powerful superhero that she evidently is and the natural lack of aggression and passivity that male writers of the time thought to be typical feminine characteristics. Even the Lynda Carter series had that trace of dismissiveness for non-WW Diana Prince's abilities as a person, if not as a superhero. The emergence from that shroud of misogyny with which most of the lay public is familiar is as a team member, not as an individual. The upshot is that most people just don't know who she is as a truly independent character. Due to that, or possibly due to completely different reasons but with the same effect, we have a feature-length origin intro.
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

She was already introduced in Batman vs Superman.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yes, that is also true. :wave:
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I would think the largest body of people would not recogniser her form comic books. They would know her from the TV series. Slightly camped up and in constant danger of falling out of her costume. Much in the way they knew Batman that way prior to the more 'recent' films.
email, ergo spam
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Stan - South Park
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

There is so much advertising around this movie here. Can't say they aren't trying.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Teaos wrote:There is so much advertising around this movie here. Can't say they aren't trying.
There were rumors that the advertising for Batman v Superman was so much, the overall $872 million earnings were not enough to break-even or barely break-even.

Here:
http://comicbook.com/2016/03/16/what-ba ... reak-even/
Batman V Superman, they say, was incredibly expensive to make. A lot of analysts have said that $800 million is the magical break-even number for the movie, since it cost about $400 million between production and marketing, and you always want to double that number.

Warner Bros., the new article states, disputes the $800 million, saying those estimates are "inflated," but offers no specific number of its own -- which isn't uncommon. These aren't conversations the studios are particularly keen to have with the press.

One outside analyst is quoted as saying that regardless of what Warner Bros. considers break-even, the movie would have to earn $1 billion globally to meet expectations and be considered a hit. That number is astronomical -- only 24 movies have done it, ever -- but for this kind of movie, it's more and more becoming "the norm" to ask for ten digits. The Dark Knight, The Dark Knight Rises, The Avengers, and Iron Man 3 are among the movies that have earned that much worldwide.
I personally think that the movie needed to make $1billion because Warner Bros. would then use those profits to finance the rest of the DCEU. That is what Marvel Studios were able to do due to the monster success of the Avengers. They funded phase 2. So the "disappointing" returns of BvS might just mean the studio now needed to raise more capital itself to fund the rest of the universe.

Hopefully this Wonder Woman works out. The real advantage they have now, over their supposed rivals Marvel Studios, is that they are putting out the first female led comic-book movie.
Stan - South Park
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah I hope it goes well, but Ghostbusters sadly did a lot of damage to female lead movies.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

It may be unfortunate, but I'm not convinced that it's such a huge help anyway. This is a comic-book movie, not exactly Scott releasing Thelma & Louise.
as Bull offed Custer