Wonder Woman Official Trailer

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Wonder Woman Official Trailer

Post by Nutso »

Before I start, we were told at the beginning that we are allowed to talk about the movie in general terms, but we aren't allowed to give any details until Monday. I intend to stick to that requirement, regardless of the relative anonymity of reddit.

I caught a screener presentation of Wonder Woman tonight at the Cinemark West Plano in Plano, TX. I've been a fan of the character since the days when Lynda Carter was my first celebrity crush. Other kids had Heather and Christie posters on their walls, I had...well, I had those, but I also had Lynda Carter reminding me why I loved America. I credit her as the genesis of my lifelong love of strong Latinas.

Anyway...I went in with mixed expectations. High because of the awesomeness that was Gal Gadot in Batman vs Superman and low, well, because of everything else that was Batman vs Superman.

In a single sentence: It was pretty fucking awesome.

The comedy was on-point (and very welcome!). The pacing was solid, the action was fast and enjoyable.

There was a time or two that the action scene imagery felt a bit excessive, but, really, that's mostly me looking for something negative to say.

Honestly, if this is a sign of things to come for the DCEU, we're in for some amazing movies after that rocky start. I'd happily put this movie up against any of the Marvel flicks, something I definitely couldn't say about any of the earlier DC movies.
https://www.reddit.com/r/movies/comment ... _screener/
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Saw it today, and loved it.

Gal Gadot is much better than I expected as Wonder Woman. Her character is actually *interesting*. From the start she comes across as a fighter - even as a little kid, she loves to train for battle. Yet she also has an innocence, even naivete, to her. She genuinely wants to fight to help and protect people and defeat evil, and she pretty much wants to do that all the time on every level - there's a scene where she's at the WWI front and she has to walk past all sorts of suffering, and it just kills her to have to pass by and not help. It's such a welcome change from the Snyder Superman who acts like helping people is some giant burden.

Also, she comes across as a genuinely strong, direct character. She has very little time for politics and the like - she always just wants to get in there. And that's where another good strength of the film lies, with Pine's Steve Trevor. Thankfully the film does NOT fall into the trap of trying to make her look good by making all the guys around her stupid or useless or evil. Pine's Trevor is a smart, resourceful guy who contributes important things to the movie whilst never taking away the spotlight from Diana in doing so. He's the one who helps her navigate the outside world, he's the one who knows where to go and what to target. He's smart, brave, resourceful, not afraid to disobey his superiors when it counts, and generally a hero - but he's also smart enough to realise that in a fight it's probably best to let the Lady who can throw tanks around do the heavy lifting.

Really the only downside is that the villains are a little on the weak side. But that seems par for the course for superhero movies these days.

I won't say it's a classic. But it's a really good, solid, entertaining movie. On a par with the Marvel stuff, finally. More please!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

The only things that annoyed me was the slight overuse of slowmo (common these days) and the German accents in English when it was just German speakers when they could have just done subtitles like with the other languages. Seriously they did it fine before, why couldn't they have done it near the end.

Agreeing with Graham's post, I'll add I greatly enjoyed the music throughout.

Also there is no post credit scene but you can always stay for the music and pretty artwork.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I see it Friday. Am hyped!
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Saw it. Loved it. My god, this movie kicked ass on just about every level.
Talondor
Master chief petty officer
Master chief petty officer

Post by Talondor »

I just saw this today (I know it is late, but I don't like seeing movies in crowded theaters), and I loved it. Definately going on my Christmas list.

I also saw the Justice League trailer with it. Seems to be alot of quips.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Talondor wrote:I just saw this today (I know it is late, but I don't like seeing movies in crowded theaters), and I loved it. Definately going on my Christmas list.

I also saw the Justice League trailer with it. Seems to be alot of quips.
Joss Whedon took over shooting the Justice League movie after Zack Snyder stepped down due to the suicide of his daughter. Quips are a Joss Whedon staple.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park