RedLetterMedia: Starship Troopers Re: View

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

RedLetterMedia: Starship Troopers Re: View

Post by Nutso »

This isn't a Mr. Plinkett review. It's two of the guys talking about the movie. Mike Stoklasa, the Trekkie on RLM, makes a comparison between the movie and the TOS episode "Arena."
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: RedLetterMedia: Starship Troopers Re: View

Post by Mikey »

Obviously there's no way to make a comparison between that steaming pile of a movie and the novel Starship Troopers.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Sure you can. Compared to the novel, the movie is terrible!

Actually I can appreciate the movie for what it is, which as they say is a satire of war/action movies in much the same way Robocop was. Fair enough.

But dammit, if he wanted to do that then he should have made his own movie to do it in. You don't take a story that belongs to somebody else, which a whole lot of people love, and then shit all over it to make your clever satire of war movies. It's fecking aggravating watching this movie if you're a fan of the book.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

There was just no reason to attach that film to the title with such meaningless anchors as the phylum of the antagonists and the background of Buenos Aires. Without all that, it would have been a fun, if vacuous, campy little war movie satire... plus Dina Meyer nude. With that, it was pissing in the cornflakes of one of the great modern authors and his opus magnus regarding man's willingness to subvert his evolved nature when threat state allows political powers to play upon atavistic reactions.
as Bull offed Custer
T'Pau
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by T'Pau »

I went to see this film with a female friend, after a margarita or two. We walked down to the cinema and randomly picked something to go see. We were the ONLY women in the cinema with a handful of young fellas. The large beetle bug that shot plasma from its backside, had me howling with laughter for quite a while. The brain bug shaped like a lady-part, sent us both over the edge. Long after the film made it to video, I got a package in the mail from the same friend. Inside, I found the toy version of the plasma bottomed bug, which I have next to my desk as I type this. Whenever the film makes it on tv, I always hope to catch that bright blue goo being fired towards the human invaders. I look at the film with my tongue firmly planted into my cheek. Probably helps that I never read the book.
"This is the Vulcan heart. This is the Vulcan soul. This is our way."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

a) You are doing yourself a disservice by not having read the Heinlein book. One of the great socio-political commentaries of modern sci-fi, and that's even comparing it to Heinlein's own Stranger in a Strange Land.
b) It is a crushing indictment that someone unfamiliar with the book was induced to treat the film as a comedy.
c) It's, like, nine months since the last post?
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:c) It's, like, nine months since the last post?
She checked with me in advance and I advised Her that in line with the forum guidelines, it's okay to post to this thread so long as the comment meets "If you wish to contribute to a topic that has been dead for a while please make sure you have something of value to add to the topic and are not just posting for the sake of it." Which this comment did. So let's not make an issue of it. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Hey man, it's your sandbox, so your friends are allowed.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:Hey man, it's your sandbox, so your friends are allowed.
Anybody is allowed, so long as they stay within the forum guidelines. Which She did.