General movie chit-chat

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

General movie chit-chat

Post by Teaos »

Thought I'd start a thread for us to talk about movies we've seen but don't deserve their own thread.

On that note, anyone seen the Warcraft movie? Apparently it's smashing records in Asia.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: General movie chit-chat

Post by Mikey »

Haven't seen it; I'm a little torn. On one hand, I really like Travis Fimmel - OTOH, the trailers make it look like a less-enjoyable alternative to the same amount of time spent being waterboarded.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Might see it... illegally.

Still debating about going to see X-Men but definitely goi MG to see the new ID4 movie. I want to know if they are gping to use a smart watch to hack into the alien's mothership to cause it to self destruct or something.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I saw X Men, I rather liked it. Not brilliant, but it entertained me.

It's certainly flawed, though. I really wanted to see Olivia Munn (big fan of her), and she's practically a nonentity in this movie. Instead we get yet another chunk of screen time given to "Oh, Magneto is trying to be good but horrid things make him all ragey and bad again". I'm torn because it's really well done, probably the best part of the movie, but we've seen that story a few times now and I didn't need to see it again. Delete that and give me more Olivia Munn!

Also, the resolution, whilst satisfactory, kinda puts them in a bind for future movies.
So at the end Apocalypse is handily defeating all the other mutants combined, Magneto included. Xavier tells Jean Grey to "let go!" of all that power inside her. So she does her Pheonix thing and shoots a big load of fire at Apocalypse, and basically melts his face off and kills him.

So, Jean is the most powerful mutant ever. Which means that whenever any threat arises, she should just be like "Cawww! Cawwww!" KABOOOOOOOOOOOOOM... and then it's just cleaning up the collateral damage?
Another fast guy scene, which is both of course much more "wow!" than the one in Days of Future Past, all turned up to 11... and of course, just doesn't have the same coolness factor because we've seen it before. But it's still a fun scene, and will give Deadpool something to laugh about!

And it's a spoiler, but it's a really minor one, so I'll just say it. Stop reading if you want to avoid even minor spoilers! Why the hell does Hollywood seem to find it so very hard to accept that Patrick Stewart is just bald because some guys go bald with age?! In Nemesis they had to show Shinzon being bald at like 30 and Picard bald at 20. Now we have Xavier going bald because of Apocalypse doing his mutanty powers thing on him. Just let the guy go bald, fer chirssakes!

Interesting thought I heard on a podcast somewhere. In the Marvel universe, it's generally the Avengers / Superheroes fighting against external threats of some sort. In the X Men universe, almost every fight is between mutants. Every X Men movie is essentially their version of Civil War. This one is no different.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Well, that last is because that's the wa the comics were. Granted, it's been more than a couple of decades since I read one, but the thrust of the X-Men and all the ancillary titles had always been "mutants bent on domination v. mutants trying to stop them and save the world." Except when Xavier had to go help his space-girlfriend.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer