Ghostbusters Official Trailer #1 (2016)

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Ghostbusters Official Trailer #1 (2016)

Post by Nutso »

Ghostbusters makes its long-awaited return, rebooted with a cast of hilarious new characters. Thirty years after the beloved original franchise took the world by storm, director Paul Feig brings his fresh take to the supernatural comedy, joined by some of the funniest actors working today – Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Leslie Jones, and Chris Hemsworth. This summer, they’re here to save the world!

Cast:
Melissa McCarthy
Kristen Wiig
Kate McKinnon
Leslie Jones
Charles Dance
Michael Kenneth Williams
and Chris Hemsworth

Directed by:
Paul Feig

Written by:
Paul Feig & Katie Dippold
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ghostbusters Official Trailer #1 (2016)

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Okay, the fact that there is nothing remotely funny in that trailer does not bode well for the movie.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Okay, the fact that there is nothing remotely funny in that trailer does not bode well for the movie.
Just what I was thinking when I saw it earlier today. I wasn't opposed to a reboot; I was bothered a bit by the choice to cast McCarthy and Wiig, as I don't really care for either; but seeing this trailer makes me want to avoid seeing this movie.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It doesn't help that they set the trailer off by reminding you of what's bound to be a much better, funnier movie... and then the very first joke in the trailer is a direct copy of one of the first big jokes in that movie.

And ALL of those actresses are just horrible.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Graham Kennedy wrote:And ALL of those actresses are just horrible.
I think this fact was originally lost a little bit, caught up in the fact that when some of us complained about the actresses involved, those complaints became conflated with the idea that we were complaining about the characters being female. But yes - of the four I am familiar with only McCarthy and Wiig... but I wish I wasn't.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So who would have been good for this? Sticking with female actresses, I mean.

How about...

Tina Fey
Emily Blunt
Sarah Silverman
Wanda Sykes
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

The ghosts look cool.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Mikey wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:Okay, the fact that there is nothing remotely funny in that trailer does not bode well for the movie.
Just what I was thinking when I saw it earlier today. I wasn't opposed to a reboot; I was bothered a bit by the choice to cast McCarthy and Wiig, as I don't really care for either; but seeing this trailer makes me want to avoid seeing this movie.
Well...McCarthy is hit and miss for me, the Spy movie was actually amusing imho.

But Wiig....I never seen her in anything funny. Now I don't watch Saturday NIght, maybe she's funny there but in a movie or even series....to be fair...not seen much of her I only remember "Bridesmaids" and that movie was just....not funny at all imho.

As for the trailer.......it also wasn't funny. It was bridesmaids levels of funny...aka people get disgusting fluids on them...hahaha, what a brilliant joke. Also...the trailer starts with "30 years ago..bla bla" trying to make a connection to the old movies.....but watching a trailer it seems that it plays in a completely different universe.

Sadly...like with Bridesmaids...if any male dares to criticises the movie for being....well..just bad and at best only funny for juviniles....he will be immediatly called a misogonist and his oppinion is by default to be disregarded.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Here's one guy's take on what's going on with the Ghostbusters remake. It's very rumour-heavy, but to me it rings true. Presented for your consideration.

Warning - if accurate, these videos contain a detailed description of the script. Spoilers for the entire movie.

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Is this the end of Sony Pictures?
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

These movies were never about the plot anyway. It was more about the characters and the jokes came from their interactions. The trailer tried to show the characters, like explaining how Wiig is the brilliant one, and the other one was the mechanic one, the giantess is the everyman. But the gags fell short of being funny. Even the "Let's go" part was off. Maybe in context it will be a running gag wherein the gang still haven't decided on a leader up to the climax. I don't know.

Anyway I'm with you on this, Graham. The thing that struck me odd is none of the actors have come out to defend the trailer or said don't judge the movie based on the trailer.
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Would this have been too much to ask for?

Yeah, I know, sexist patriarchy blah blah blah. :happydevil:
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Funny how the in the trailer they have to take the two seconds to tell us the Ghostbusters vehicle came from a hearse.

Just like the new one.

You know what? They should have kept the original and said the car came from the original crew.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

They have said over and over again that it's a reboot, not a sequel. So there shouldn't be any reference to the original. Which is why it's so odd that the trailer references the original movie.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That is what i am confused about. Is it a reboot or is it a sequel. Isn't the original crew supposed to have cameos too?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"