Ghostbusters Official Trailer #1 (2016)

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Ghostbusters Official Trailer #1 (2016)

Post by Nutso »

I liked the "I'm gonna go home now," part.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I wonder if in some strange way the film might not be a box office hit because of people going to see it to see just how awful it is. I gotta say, I think it looks terrible but I'll probably end up seeing it at the cinema.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

The movie will probably be a success when it opens in China.
Stan - South Park
Black Jesus
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Black Jesus »

Jim wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:Black lady acts all black, yelling and being aggressive.
That is her thing. That is basically all that she does on SNL.

Leslie Jones - 6 foot tall, big boisterous loud proud black woman... it is all that she does
Melissa McCarty - Kind of a Lou Costello wannabe, with a high whiney voice... it is all that she does
Kristen Wiig - generally quiet with a confused look... it is all that she does
Kate McKinnon - boring, uninspired, but her eyes will open wide from time to time to let you know that "now" is when you are supposed to laugh... it is all that she does
A person only has to do one thing--have one shtick--to do decently in the movies. Vince Vaughn taught us that.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tiny Fey should have been in it if you include a female in the crew. It would have been logical.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

And Sarah Silverman, IMO.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Natasha Leggero. One of the funniest women in comedy today, IMHO.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Hell Jennifer Lawrence and arm wasting are both very funny non comedians which in a way is better. Cameron arias is classic.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Arm wasting? I'm not familiar with her work.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Finally saw it.

It's almost exactly as bad as I thought it was.

1. They tried too hard to make this different from the original. I understand that making it different has to be done. You just don't want to make a carbon copy of the original with new actors and new modern special effects.

The all female cast could have worked if either they choose different female comedian/actors for certain parts. The chubby lead scientist and her engineer assistant just is annoying. Especially the engineer. The final battle with the new gizmos is really cringe worthy.

2. Chris Hemsworth played an idiot. An obvious, dumb as hell and overall a bad character overall. Not a single line is intelligent. Only when he is possessed he isn't stupid. The three white female actors basically keep him because he is pretty. Don't know if the black woman said anything. Honestly flip this, and it you get your standard college or high school level male comedy.

3. Bad guy is fairly basic. Don't really get a reason why is doing what he is doing. Basically he ends up as a creep.

4. The comedy is more of slap stick than anything. Really there is none of that in the originals. The comedy came from deadpan lines when it came to the originals. This movie tried too hard.

5. Special effects didn't bother me. Didn't care.

There was a point my cousins wife made when she saw it in the theaters was that here are four women being heros that wore baggy jumpsuits instead of the usual cleavage and skin-tight cat suits you typically see with female heros. She had a point.

The cameos from the original cast was done nicely though.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

My issues with it were manyfold.

For one, everyone is trying to be "the funny ghostbuster", and nobody is trying to be the straight man the funny one plays off. In the original, every ghostbuster except Venkman plays it like they're in a supernatural thriller. Murray acts like he's wandered into the movie from the Mel Brooks production that was being made on the next set over. It's comedy 101 that you have a funny guy and a straight guy, but this film didn't know to do that.

For another, the feminism politics wasn't overwhelming, but it was there. You want lady ghostbuster, okay. Did we really need to make every single man in the movie an idiot, incompetent, evil, or all of the above? And they beat the big bad ghost by shooting it in the dick? Seriously?

In the last act, the movie turns into an action film. So proton packs aren't cool enough, now we have to have hand held proton pistols? And proton fists so we can punch the ghosts? So the busters can run around shooting up the place like Arnie taking down an army of communist mooks? Puh-leeze.

But above and beyond all these... the movie Just. Is. Not. Funny. I watched this with a friend, and neither one of us laughed one single time. Not once, in the whole movie. There's just nothing funny about it!
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

There was a scene I laughed out loud at.

"Please don't be like the Mayor in Jaws?"
*Incredulous laugh* "Never compare me to the Jaws Mayor. NEVER!!"

The way Andy Garia says, "the Jaws Mayor" makes me feel this is a seething hatred he has for that analogy. He's heard it before and it burns him every time.
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
In the last act, the movie turns into an action film. So proton packs aren't cool enough, now we have to have hand held proton pistols? And proton fists so we can punch the ghosts? So the busters can run around shooting up the place like Arnie taking down an army of communist mooks? Puh-leeze.

But above and beyond all these... the movie Just. Is. Not. Funny. I watched this with a friend, and neither one of us laughed one single time. Not once, in the whole movie. There's just nothing funny about it!
Yeah those new weapons were just stupid. The girl who made them annoyed me the most out of all of them. I mean she played the role way over the top. At least with the original, it was played like they are real people who were getting into trouble with the supernatural. The new movie everything was over the top fake in how they worked and talked.