Ghostbusters Official Trailer #1 (2016)

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Ghostbusters Official Trailer #1 (2016)

Post by Graham Kennedy »

According to those videos above, Sony are trying to do damage control because the movie has gone badly wrong and they're terrified it will bomb massively. They are allegedly trying to pressure Dan Ackroyd and Bill Murray to film cameos for the new movie "in a misplaced attempt to cash in on nostalgia". It even claims they are resorting to "bribery and legal threats" to try and get them to do it - quite how you could legally threaten them I can't imagine. Presumably the references in the trailer are similarly motivated.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Would this have been too much to ask for?

Yeah, I know, sexist patriarchy blah blah blah. :happydevil:
I own that in statue form. :D
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Detail about the cameos, posted on another forum :
Bill Murray is killed by being pushed out of the first floor window of the Chinese restaurant that's the HQ by the rock concert ghost when he convinces the 'busters to let it loose to prove to him that ghosts really exist; Annie Potts is a hotel receptionist answering the phones the same way she did in the original film; Sigourney Weaver is Wiig's boss; Ernie Hudson is Leslie Jones' uncle (the one she gets the hearse from, although he's not seen until the end of the film); and Dan Aykroyd is a cab driver who refuses to give them a lift, saying "I ain't going to Chinatown, and I ain't 'fraid of no ghosts".
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Those would, I believe, make the film even worse than it currently appears to be.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

They want to bring Bill Murray, the single most beloved aspect of the entire franchise, back for a cameo. So they can kill him on screen.

Yeah. That's a great idea right there.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Seems like they need to delay the movie indefinitely until they can figure out what the fuck they are doing. I mean this movie is going to bomb and they know it. Might as well spend extra time and money to fix it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well, take a look at the almost total lack of publicity for it. I think they've decided to cut their losses and accept that it's gonna bomb.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That is sad. Ghostbusters being what it is and they half assed it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

$150 million+ budget, how in the hell do they start shooting with a shit script? That much money, don't you want to make something good that people will want to keep seeing? If the script to your comedy is making the leads angry, then maybe rewrite?

I think at this point, Sony wants to release the film to get this over-with, then they'll make money on the merchandising.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

It gets me how they just throw money at movies like that.

I think the all girl cast was done for some dumb half assed feminist reason which we all figured. Then had to fill those spots which turned out harder than they thought.

Ten bucks also says they couldn't decide to do a reboot or a sequel. Which is why it's so foggy.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There's a PDF floating around the net called "Fade In" by Michael Pillar, which is all about the writing process for Star Trek : Insurrection. He's very candid about the process, and it's a really interesting read if you want to know why scripts go the way they do.

Essentially, the script is hostage to a whole string of people involved in the production. You can write a great script, the studio buys it... but then the director wants changes. So you rewrite it so the director likes it. But then the star wants changes. So you rewrite it again... and this just happens over and over and over until every single person involved is okay with it. Then some producer will leave, another will come on board, and it happens again...

It's like every script has to be the one that doesn't offend anybody with power over the production. Little wonder so many of them end up crappy.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Detail about the cameos, posted on another forum :
Bill Murray is killed by being pushed out of the first floor window of the Chinese restaurant that's the HQ by the rock concert ghost when he convinces the 'busters to let it loose to prove to him that ghosts really exist; Annie Potts is a hotel receptionist answering the phones the same way she did in the original film; Sigourney Weaver is Wiig's boss; Ernie Hudson is Leslie Jones' uncle (the one she gets the hearse from, although he's not seen until the end of the film); and Dan Aykroyd is a cab driver who refuses to give them a lift, saying "I ain't going to Chinatown, and I ain't 'fraid of no ghosts".
Well.... most of them are kind of wastes of cameos. the Bill Murray one is pretty fucking stupid.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Trailer 2 is out :

So... doom-laden pronouncement with light hearted "but it'll be fine!" zinger in the tail. Yeah, that's hilarious.

The vomit ghost again. Somebody thinks this is funny. That person is mistaken.

People crowd surf, only for the crowd to part and let one fall. Gee, haven't seen that before.

Black lady acts all black, yelling and being aggressive. "Hilarity" ensues. (So far, the trailers indicate that's the entirety of her "character".)

Jaws ripoff. Probably best not to remind people of far better movies in your movie.

Oh, Mr Staypuft. I'm actually genuinely sad to see you here. :(

Oh yeah, this thing's gonna suck balls.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Graham Kennedy wrote:People crowd surf, only for the crowd to part and let one fall. Gee, haven't seen that before.
This, BTW, is not funny. I was dropped onto the back of my head at a BAD II concert, and it hurt like a bitch (and perhaps concussed me a bit, but the recreational pharmaceuticals involved probably masked that.)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Black lady acts all black, yelling and being aggressive.
That is her thing. That is basically all that she does on SNL.

Leslie Jones - 6 foot tall, big boisterous loud proud black woman... it is all that she does
Melissa McCarty - Kind of a Lou Costello wannabe, with a high whiney voice... it is all that she does
Kristen Wiig - generally quiet with a confused look... it is all that she does
Kate McKinnon - boring, uninspired, but her eyes will open wide from time to time to let you know that "now" is when you are supposed to laugh... it is all that she does
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...