X-Men: Apocalypse Trailer

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

X-Men: Apocalypse Trailer

Post by Nutso »

Published on Dec 11, 2015

Following the critically acclaimed global smash hit X-Men: Days of Future Past, director Bryan Singer returns with X-MEN: APOCALYPSE. Since the dawn of civilization, he was worshipped as a god. Apocalypse, the first and most powerful mutant from Marvel’s X-Men universe, amassed the powers of many other mutants, becoming immortal and invincible. Upon awakening after thousands of years, he is disillusioned with the world as he finds it and recruits a team of powerful mutants, including a disheartened Magneto (Michael Fassbender), to cleanse mankind and create a new world order, over which he will reign. As the fate of the Earth hangs in the balance, Raven (Jennifer Lawrence) with the help of Professor X (James McAvoy) must lead a team of young X-Men to stop their greatest nemesis and save mankind from complete destruction.

In Theaters - May 27, 2016

Cast: James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Jennifer Lawrence, Oscar Isaac, Nicholas Hoult, Rose Byrne, Tye Sheridan, Sophie Turner, Olivia Munn, Lucas Till, Evan Peters, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Alexandra Shipp, Josh Helman, Lana Condor, Ben Hardy
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Jim
Captain
Captain

Re: X-Men: Apocalypse Trailer

Post by Jim »

Fox has screwed up two of my top three non-main characters in the Marvel universe: Colossus and Juggernaut. Her is hoping that they did not screw up my #1, Apocalypse.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Looks like they did at least in apparence.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Hopefully they can get the suspension bridge destruction correct. If you sever the main cables between two towers, the roadway will fall down, and the towers will fall away from each other.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

So...is this still in-universe with the later X-Men movies?

Iirc they tried to merged the old and new ones with the last X-Men movie......personally I think they shouldn't have done that...
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Jim wrote:Fox has screwed up two of my top three non-main characters in the Marvel universe: Colossus and Juggernaut. Her is hoping that they did not screw up my #1, Apocalypse.
Screw up Colossus? They barely even acknowledged his existence (and ignored his Russian-ness.)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Agree. He was technically in 4 of the movies and in Future Past we went down like a bitch twice; head crushed and then pulled apart. They made the Juggernaut a joke.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I can not figure out how to link to the video directly, but the Q&A video at the bottom of the official page, http://www.foxmovies.com/movies/x-men-apocalypse It is about 5 minutes long, no spoilers. It is nice to see that the writer/producer actually cares about the source material for the story/character.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Appearance doesn't bother me to much so much as character and tone.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

'X-Men: Apocalypse' Review: It's A Franchise-Killing Disaster
The Review:

Mild spoiler warning, just in case…

There is a scene in the 80’s set X-Men: Apocalypse where a young Jean Grey (Sophie Turner) and Scott Summers (Tye Sheridan) exit a showing of Return of the Jedi and argue the merits of the various Star Wars films. The participants discuss “Empire Strikes Back was better” versus “Star Wars started it all” before coming to a consensus that the third films always stink. It’s intended as a jab at X-Men: The Last Stand, but it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Bryan Singer’s would-be trilogy capper is a shocking miss. It is a lifeless and hollow shell of a picture, lacking exciting action, strong character interplay, or compelling storytelling. It is the nadir of the franchise, determined to make you apologize for every mean thing you’ve ever said about Brett Ratner’s rushed X-Men trilogy capper a decade ago. X-Men: The Last Stand is X2: X-Men United compared to X-Men: Apocalypse.

After a promising prehistoric prologue that seems to promise a certain fantastical one-upmanship for this generally grounded franchise, the film offers a series of introductory table-setting scenes for what turns out to be the vast majority of its running time. We cut between “meet the new kids” moments (including a Cyclops origin that feels like the X-Men prologue segment we never got back in 2000), some “catch up with old friends and enemies” beats (like Jennifer Lawrence’s Raven rescuing Nightcrawler from a cage match), and our new villain Apocalypse (Oscar Isaac) slowly and deliberating recruiting each of his four “horsemen.” For a reel or two, it looks like Bryan Singer, Simon Kinberg, and friends are really going to give us a “disaster movie” in the mold of an X-Men adventure. But then we come to the first confrontation with Xavier and Apocalypse, and you realize that the film is almost over.

It’s no secret that I think the reliance on Magneto (be he Ian McKellen or Michael Fassbender) as a source of (the same) conflict or (the same sort of) villainy has been this franchise’s long-form Achilles’ Heel. You can imagine my horror when I realized that this sixth team X-Men film was again going to revolve partially around Magneto (Fassbender, sadly phoning it in) lifting stuff for evil and Charles (McAvoy, surprisingly phoning it in) and his X-Men trying to get their former friend to stop lifting stuff for evil. Magneto’s new wife and daughter (this one takes place in 1983, ten years after Days of Future Past) get more dialogue than Storm (Alexandra Shipp) and Psylocke (Olivia Munn) combined. That’s impressive because (as you might guess) said family quickly gets fridged so Erik can “have an angry” and willingly join Apocalypse’s team.

The other three “horseman” (Psylocke, Storm, and Ben Hardy’s Angel) are walking action figures, with no character development and no substantive screen time. There is a reason why we keep seeing that “Psylocke slices a car in half with a sword” shot in all of the later X-Men: Apocalypse trailers and TV spots. The heroes do little better. The young kids (Jean, Scott, Jubilee, etc.) get almost no time to bond or play with their powers. McAvoy is fun in the early scenes but soon becomes an exposition machine and a non-entity in the action. Even Jennifer Lawrence, arguably the biggest female star on Earth, has almost nothing to do beyond a few brief reunion moments and an extended bout of climactic peril. If you think this all ends with the mother of all X-Men action finales, think again.

No spoilers, but what you get is a slightly more fantastical redo of X-Men’s finale (with a few secondary villains sent to briefly distract our heroes so that the main villain can cement their evil scheme) and a deluge of arbitrary CGI that will remind you of the climax to Ang Lee’s Hulk. The end of the world is confined to a single isolated location, with no outside reaction or consequence despite what I presume are countless deaths. I am not sure how you make Oscar Isaac as a world-destroying baddie dull, but the powers-that-be have pulled it off. It’s good fun seeing a happy and revitalized Charles Xavier (James McAvoy) running his school and enrolling a bunch of young mutants. The idea of a young batch of fresh newbie X-Men, even if they are just younger versions of the characters we already met, has promise. But we spend next-to-no time getting to know these new kids.

You know that scene in a record store where they hold up a “Dazzler” record that made the rounds because everything thought Taylor Swift was playing Dazzler? Yeah, that’s not in the movie. After all, why spend time watching these kids getting used to each other or their powers when you can configure a huge chunk of the film for the sole purpose of being in a specific location that enables a fan-bait cameo? Say what you will about X-Men: The Last Stand, but that film had characters who talked to each other about interesting things, and a plot that at least tried to be about something. This has little of that. The one great action beat is A) a variation of the last film’s great action beat and B) basically (if you think about what almost happens and why) undercuts the entire premise of Charles’s philosophy. The film plays like a mixed tape from prior X-Men pictures, with both highlights (Quicksilver is cool) and lowlights (Did you love lumberjack Logan and his imperiled girlfriend in X-Men Origins: Wolverine?).

And through all of this is a total lack of urgency, a lack of momentum, and because of the utter lack of character development for our newer/younger characters (or much of interest for the veterans), no emotional investment. The entire film seems to want to set up the next stage of the franchise, yet it hamstrings itself by neglecting nearly all of its characters. This is the kind of film where the production notes contain far more character development and thematic elements than what we see onscreen. I won’t outright say that this is the worst X-Men film ever made because X-Men Origins: Wolverine is still that bad. But it is unquestionably the worst “team” X-Men movie ever made, and it is just the kind of film that will lead to so-called “superhero fatigue.”

It has no reason to exist beyond the fact that the last film made money, and it offers a franchise absolutely determined to be so tied to its past that it gets left behind in the very comic book sub-genre that it helped popularize. It is the kind of superhero comic book film that typified the genre before the original X-Men (and Blade) turned things around. X-Men is still a groundbreaker and still works as a potent character drama. X2: X-Men United contains perhaps the best first act in superhero cinema. X-Men: First Class promised a deliciously fantastical and pop-art zippy X-Men reboot. But X-Men: Apocalypse is the kind of weightless, soulless trifle of a bore that makes comic book superhero movies look bad and makes me not look forward to the next installment.

X-Men basically invented the modern superhero movie. But this franchise needs to make a choice: evolve or die.
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

By the way, this is the design for Apocalypse that Fox decided not to go with.

http://screenrant.com/x-men-apocalypse- ... te-design/
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

And a positive review.
http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.2630576
With his fourth movie "X-Men: Apocalypse," director Bryan Singer proves he's still as good as Professor X at handling Marvel's mutants.

Set ten years after "Days of Future Past," Professor Xavier's class of super-powered outcasts has to take on Apocalypse, allegedly the world's first (and most powerful) mutant, who ruled the world of ancient Egypt before being trapped under his pyramid for centuries.

Played by Oscar Isaac — unrecognizable as his "Stars Wars: The Force Awakens" character Poe Dameron under the prosthetic make-up — Apocalypse awakens in the early '80s at the height of the Cold War, and he isn't happy about the state of the world since the end of his rule.

After effectively rebooting the franchise with "X-Men: First Class" in 2011, Singer brings back the most popular characters from the previous movies — James McAvoy's Professor X, Michael Fassbender's Magneto, Jennifer Lawrence's Mystique and Nicholas Hoult's The Beast — and they're joined by new and younger versions of the X-Men Singer introduced in his first "X-Men" movie.

Cyclops (Tye Sheridan), Jean Grey (Sophie Turner from "Game of Thrones"), Storm (Alexandra Shipp) and Nightcrawler (Kodi Smit-McPhee) are all given fresh takes on characters previously played in the franchise by older actors. Fans of the comic books will also thrill to the first appearance by Psylocke (Olivia Munn) and a new and deadlier Archangel (Ben Hardy), who make up one half of Apocalypse's "Four Horsemen" crew.

Granted, there are a lot of characters and set-up plus tons of drama, but Singer has such a great cast at his disposal including one Oscar winner, an Oscar nominee and Oscar Isaac himself, who many feel is long overdue for similar awards attention. Fassbender and Lawrence are especially good during their more dramatic moments and Isaac always makes Apocalypse an imposing presence.
Once again, it's Evan Peters' Quicksilver who steals the movie whenever we see his powers in action, maybe because they've found a unique way to showcase them. There's even a fun but unnecessary tangent involving another popular "X-Men" character.

After sixteen years working with the characters, it's obvious Singer knows them well enough to mix and match from different eras of the comics and still make it work as a cohesive story. The relationships between the characters also transition well from the comic page even with so many new actors in the roles.

At times, it feels like Singer is trying to fit as much as humanly possible into this movie, just in case it's his last. By the time it gets to the climactic showdown against Apocalypse, it's obvious what an unstoppable force he is, and everything leading up to that point does pay off.

This might not be the best superhero movie for the youngest of kids, because there are moments that are darker and more violent than other Marvel fare. Otherwise, "X-Men: Apocalypse" offers a lot of entertainment value for your movie-spending buck, and it's very consistent with the previous two movies in terms of its impressive CG-enhanced action.

In the end, shifting the focus to the younger characters works well. Unlike some of the cheesier remnants of the '80s, we'll probably want to see more of these new X-Men.
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Hmm, looks like I might have to see this one for myself after all.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

It's xmen. I'll see it No matter what.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Teaos wrote:It's xmen. I'll see it No matter what.
What if it's merely two hours of Wolverine running in slow-motion down a beach? :P