The Terminator Timeline

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Terminator Timeline

Post by Graham Kennedy »

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/06/30/te ... -explained

I bet this guy put a hell of a lot more thought into it than the writers of the movies ever did.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: The Terminator Timeline

Post by McAvoy »

Yeah I wished they stuck to established times. It seemed like the writers when they came to a time figure like 2029, they just fudged it figuring someone will fill it in with correct time but no one did.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

McAvoy wrote:Yeah I wished they stuck to established times. It seemed like the writers when they came to a time figure like 2029, they just fudged it figuring someone will fill it in with correct time but no one did.
You're right, it seems like there was no "bible" or any similar reference to establish the background universe between film teams.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Well they were screwed in the first film. Reece specifically states that only one Terminator came through, and that once Reece went through they blew up the whole place; nobody was getting reinforcements, "It's just him and me."

So right off the bat, you have to ignore the first film in order to make a sequel. They got away with it for T2 because it was such a good film. And I guess you could argue that they only thought one Terminator had gone through and planned to blow the place up, but that after Reece left they realised there had been a second liquid metal Terminator. So they fiddled a bit and got a T-800 working and sent that back. But then they end that film by avoiding Judgement Day altogether... only to have to retcon that in the next film.

And on, and on. It really is the about the most mucked-up franchise around, very little of it actually makes sense and if you're going to enjoy it you just have to say screw it and watch the cool action rather than thinking about it much.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah, thinking about it like what Graham said, it makes the Doctor Who timeline almost make sense. And for me, the franchise ended with T2.