Avengers 2 Age of Ultron

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Avengers 2 Age of Ultron

Post by McAvoy »

About to go see it. Figured might as well start a belated discussion about it.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Avengers 2 Age of Ultron

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Hope you like it.

It's maybe not quite as good as Avengers, but it's certainly a very good enjoyable movie.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

It is certainly not like the first one and it does seem at times to try to replicate it. But not overwhelming

First off, having the Golum actor being featured in the trailers like he did, well his character could have been anyone really. The choice for him while natural makes no sense in the trailer because only the most dorky fans would know who he is.

The Hulk. This is the movie where is in full flesh so to speak. You can see the Hulk having something going on in his head. You can see Banner being able to direct the Hulk to what he has to do. It's the part where Hulk has to calm down to be Banner again that seems to be a problem. I think Banner seems to undersell his or Widows ability to soothe/work him.

Iron Man. I think this may be the last true movie with Iron Man. Or at least until Robert Downy leaves. The Hulkbuster armor is interesting. It looks like replacement parts do not match what they replace. That one arm that got replaced for example. Iron Man went through two suits too. The first one is basically an inverse color scheme of the same Iron Man suit from Iron Man 3. The second suit uses a totally new finishing scheme that I can't identify. Seems to be more advanced than the rest.

War Machine is back. It's Iron Patriot without the paint job. I do think when both Stark and Rhodes are trying to lift up Thors Hammer that Rhoades is using his old original War Machine suit gauntlet.

Thor. He is interesting. He is here for Lokis staff. The staff is stolen. He stays with Ultrln giving him trouble. He goes in a pond that somehow shows Vision.

I did want to see a bit more of a fight between him and Ultron in the end. But his time was cut short between N the Twins and others.

That is all for today. I am pretty hammered and writing even that took a lot of one eyeballing.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I was never a big fan of Ultron in the books. Not sure why but he just never did it for me. I last read comics in the early 90's so I am not sure of anything that has happened since then. Now with the internet a character like Ultron really does not fit. He should be able to just be everywhere on the planet and shut everything down. Power plants, water, gas, etc. Make every nuclear plan melt down... He is a character that reality has passed by. Instead of a Thor fighting super-robot (with minion robots) he could EASILY be Skynet.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

They do somewhat address that in the movie.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Ultron is... he's nuts. His head is a bag of cats. That's one of the reasons he's not everywhere. He's also Tony's 'son', for lack of a better term. So he's got an ego the size of a red giant.

Anyway, like I said in the social thread, friggin' loved this one. Just... WOW.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Not as good as the first but still very good. I liked the final conversation with Stark, Captain and Thor as Thor was leaving.

"The elevator isn't worthy"
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

My favorite line...
Spoiler:
"We're on a floating city! Fighting an army of robots! And I have a bow and arrow! NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE!!!!"
Hawkeye, two in a row. :D
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:My favorite line...
Spoiler:
"We're on a floating city! Fighting an army of robots! And I have a bow and arrow! NONE OF THIS MAKES SENSE!!!!"
Hawkeye, two in a row. :D
I liked his entire speech to Scarlett Witch in that scene.
I'm going to go back out there, I'm going to do it because it's my job. You can stay in here and you'll be good, I'll send your brother to find you. But if you walk out that door, you're an Avenger."
(roughly from memory)
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Oh, yeah. That entire speech was great. :) I also loved him being the only one with a stable family life.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Oh, yeah. That entire speech was great. :) I also loved him being the only one with a stable family life.
"You think they don't need me?"
"I think they do, and that's scarier."
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I think Hawkeye's focus in the movie stems from the criticism in the last movie. He really didn't do alot in the last one. Not as much as the other characters.

Black Widow has a suit which zaps people. Why can't Hawkeye have his own? I know she is more physical than he is. I also amazed how well Scarlett Johanson's body double held up. I did look because I knew Scarlett was pregnant in while filming the movie.

I enjoyed the interaction between Captain America and everyone. I also think they were overselling his strength in the movie. Captain America is supposed to be a human at the very peak of human condition. As in he is supposed to be as fast as the fastest man, as strong as the strongest man, and so forth. In the movie, he can rip apart logs with his bare hands and so forth. He also seems to be pretty durable too especially with his fight with Ultron.

The trailers seem to give him a more sinister and serious look but in the movie he cracks jokes and is more upbeat than the trailers made him look.

His body also seems to be weaker than Iron Man's suits and it isn't until his final form is where he is a credible threat.

I am curious about Visions abilities though.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I should point out in the MCU, they never said 'peak of human condition' with Cap. It was just super-strength and so on. No hard 'cap', pardon the word-play. ;)
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

In the movies?

I know in the comic books he was supposed to be that but also the number one expert in many martial arts. He even taught many of the Avengers.

Today I just found out that Scarlett Witch, the actress who plays her is Mary and Kate Olson's younger sister. She is definitely the prettier one IMO. I only looked her up because her and and her 'brother' in the movie were husband and wife in Godzilla. Got curious why.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:In the movies?

I know in the comic books he was supposed to be that but also the number one expert in many martial arts. He even taught many of the Avengers.
In the movies they never said 'peak human condition'. And in the comics, 'peak human condition' is a bit higher than in real-life.