Thoughts on Ant-Man?

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Thoughts on Ant-Man?

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Guardians of the Galaxy worked really well, it was fun and audiences loved it. It was a somewhat risky move from Marvel studio with a streak of weirdness and some unfamiliar characters. Another Marvel film coming later this summer features another sort of odd and unfamiliar character. Ant-Man puts on a suit and shrinks to ant size, retaining the strength of a man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdKf3MneyI
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on Ant-Man?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I thought the idea was ridiculous when I first heard it, but when I got that it's more a comedy than anything, I changed my attitude. Having seen how Guardians of the Galaxy played the comic silliness - whilst still combining that with some serious stuff - I thought Ant Man may actually turn out good. And having seen the trailer, I'm really looking forward to seeing if they can pull this one off.

I have to say, Marvel have done an incredible thing with their Cinematic Universe. It's one thing to just churn out Superhero movies, it's another to make almost all of them good... but to be able to make serious ones and comic ones, period pieces combined with sci-fi elements, incorporate magic and still have a degree of grittiness, and do it in such a way that they really do sell the audience on the idea that all these things could coexist with one another? To my mind it is without doubt one of the greatest achievements in the history of film.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I agree. The way they've combined the MCU, while crossing the different paradigms GK mentions even spanning TV/web TV and remaining consistent both in the milieu and the quality, is really quite a feat. I can't say that I'm sold on the casting in Ant-Man, but then again I didn't think Vin Diesel could take a voice-acting part of four total words and impart anything to the role either.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

I am also looking forward to it. Having heard what his "powers" are..I thought its absolutely ridiculous. But seeing the trailer it seems its more of a comedy. They know he's a ridiculous hero and hence go the comedic route...and I think that is the only thing you could takle that.

I am looking forward to it. If they'd tried to make it serious and dark/gritty it wouldn't work. As a light comedy....it just might!
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I don't know why people seem to be surprised by a character with such a set of "powers." Ant-man was a staple member of the Avengers for a long time in Marvel history.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Heck, he and the Wasp were founding members!

I look forward to Ant-Man, too. It looks pretty cool. :)
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I know nothing at all about the comic versions of this stuff. Never read a Marvel comic in my life.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I figure that it will end up being a decent movie... but I always thought that the character was lame. Typical 50's/60's filler, throw away type character that unfortunately stuck.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Mikey wrote:I don't know why people seem to be surprised by a character with such a set of "powers." Ant-man was a staple member of the Avengers for a long time in Marvel history.
Graham Kennedy wrote:I know nothing at all about the comic versions of this stuff. Never read a Marvel comic in my life.
^What he said.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Jim wrote:I figure that it will end up being a decent movie... but I always thought that the character was lame. Typical 50's/60's filler, throw away type character that unfortunately stuck.
I don't think he was a filler character. But yeah it was a concept that stuck.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

I'm also someone who never read comics - though I must say the movie-ization of the Marvel comics in the form of the recent Cinematic Universe has drawn me in. Thus, Ant-Man is a new concept to me, and a lot of prospective movie-goers. The trailer gives a hint of how such a character works and as this is on my list of summer movies, I'll know more soon enough.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I read the comics before Marvel got big. I was a huge Iron Man fan from the early 1990's.

Spiderman, X-men. The only DC comic I read was Superman.

I did read the Star Trek comics.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

There's a review of Ant-Man's origin story on the site Atop the Fourth Wall. And basically, it is filler. It was in an anthology book IIRC, but I'll be danged if I can find it at the moment. :bangwall:

EDIT: Check that. It was in Tales to Astonish number 44.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The problem I foresee with this film is that the original comic book character is separated from the hero persona. Ant-man's "powers" were filler - Hank Pym's main contribution to The Avengers was his scientific mind; in the film, Pym isn't even Ant-man.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Out now, and the reviews look pretty good. I'll probably get out to see it next Wednesday