Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Official Teaser Trailer

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Official Teaser Tra

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Graham Kennedy wrote:So far I haven't seen a review that said "This is a real stinker". Rather, most of them are saying "This is okay. But just okay. Not terrible, not great... okay."

Ian and I are going to see 10 Cloverfield Lane, London has Fallen, and Batman Vs Superman today. I will report back!
Those about to watch, we salute you! o7
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Okay, just back.

I agree that it's not a great film, I agree that it's not a bad film. But I think just "okay" is a tad harsh on it. I'd rate it somewhere between okay and good. Call it "Almost good". It stands just on the border of good, casting hopeful glances at the border guards from time to time.

I like Affleck as Batman. He's just really good in the part, and very, very believable as an older Batman who is still able to kick ass in his late 40s / early 50s (I assume). And Jeremy Irons is a good Superman. Neither make quite as much impact as Bale and Caine did, mostly because they're sharing the screen with all the others so they have less screentime to make an impact. But I'd like a movie with these two in it. Also, this is the first film that really does a bit of the "Batman as an investigator" thing. I gather that's big in the comics, but the movies have never done a lot of it. Here we get some of that, and it's good.

Gal Gadot is good as Wonder Woman. She doesn't get a whole lot of character building - no origin story either. In fact if you've seen the trailers, you've seen most of what she does as Diana Prince. On top of that she does get to do a fair bit of the fighting against the big bad at the end - probably more than Superman does, actually.

Luthor is a bit of a weak point. It's very different to previous Luthors, which is fine, but he comes across as being just kinda weird without actually being all that threatening.

Superman is just kind of Superman. Did you like Superman in Man of Steel? He's like that again. Cavill looks the part and acts the part well enough.

The action is decent, effects are fine - aren't all effects in big budget movies fine now?

Here's my biggest complaint, and it's a spoileriffic one :
Batman's motivation for taking Superman down is stated to be "He could burn down the whole world if he wanted to, and there's nothing we could do to stop him. And if there's even a 1% chance of that happening, then we have to treat it as a certainty." Okay. My issue is, this motivation is then never addressed or resolved. The movie never gives us any reason why Batman is wrong to think this, and never gives us any reason for Batman to change his mind about it.

Ultimately, you know why Batman changes his mind? Luthor gets Superman to attack Batman by kidnapping Martha Kent and having his goons standing by to burn her alive if he doesn't kill Batman within the hour. So they fight-fight-fight-fight, and Batman's about to win (courtesy of Kryptonite) and Superman is like "You have to save Martha!" And Martha Wayne is Batman's mom's name too. And he's had dreams during the film about Martha Wayne being murdered, and being dead, and wanting to save her. So Batman goes "Why did you say that?! Who's Martha?!", and Lois says "It's his mom's name!" and then Batman is like "Oh... okay, we're friends now, then."

And that's it. From then on, they're friends. Batman goes off to save Martha Kent whilst Supes deals with Lex. So THE central conflict of the entire movie is not so much resolved as just kinda dropped.
So there was that. And it didn't ruin the whole movie for me, but if that had been handled better then I'd have called it good instead of almost-good.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

It's funny because it's true imho.

Kind off strange that the suposedly made for children TV animated shows are still pretty much the best they made. I always wondered what would happen if you'd let the producers/writers of Batman TAS, Superman TAS and Justice League unlimited try their hands on a life action movie.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

From what you said, I like that there is not origin story for Wonder Woman. I am so tired of origin stories. Lets be honest, no one needs to know Batman's origin story to watch/enjoy a movie with him. Spiderman, over the last 15 years we have seen Spiderman's origin a handful of times... and it really doesn't change the story if you do or do not know where he came from. This is a world where people are super and/or there are vigilantes. As the movie goer accept and move on.

Luthor has always been Superman's #1 crutch. You are the strongest and purest person on the planet... your #1 villain is a smart guy that just doesn't like you. zzzzz
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I quite liked not having an origin story for her, too. I like origin stories for the most part, but it was a refreshing change to have her just kind of be there. The idea is that she's pretty much been around for quite a long time, but so far she's mostly gotten involved on the quiet, in far off places. So her existence isn't public knowledge, but there for those who can put the pieces together.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Jeremy Irons is Alfred not Superman Graham.

Her origin story will probably come up with her solo movie.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Hmmm, I'm supposing I might give it a shot. Although few critics really like it (tomatometer at 30% positive) the average review wasn't terrible (around 5/10). That's just the critical reception, which doesn't always jive with how general audiences receive it (again from RT, it has a much higher approval rating from average viewers). Anyway, these days there's good certainty an action film will look good, having good effects and spectacular action scenes. People aren't going in expecting Godfather-level cinematography.

I'm not going to have too much better to do on my Wednesday off, at any rate.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I'm gonna see it probably next Saturday, give it a fair shot.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I'm gonna see it probably next Saturday, give it a fair shot.
Yeah, screw those pretentious artsy snobs, the critics. :P
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Me too. I don't care what critics say. I go to a movie and if I am entertained for the two hours then I am fine.

Now with that said, the second time I see the movie usually I will pick up on the flaws.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

McAvoy wrote:Me too. I don't care what critics say. I go to a movie and if I am entertained for the two hours then I am fine.

Now with that said, the second time I see the movie usually I will pick up on the flaws.
I usually know what movies I'll be entertained by at least once, though it seems I can identify the ones I really like by how often I re-watch them.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

McAvoy wrote:Jeremy Irons is Alfred not Superman Graham.
Doh, my brain said Alfred, but my fingers disagreed. Thanks.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I'm gonna see it probably next Saturday, give it a fair shot.
McAvoy wrote:Me too. I don't care what critics say. I go to a movie and if I am entertained for the two hours then I am fine.

What McAvoy said. I really don't care what the critics say. If I'm entertained, then I'm entertained.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Captain Picard's Hair wrote:

What McAvoy said. I really don't care what the critics say. If I'm entertained, then I'm entertained.
Actually I try not to take too much stock in them either. There are just some cases in which I'm a bit on the fence that I'll be concerned with overly negative reviews. In the end I'm not looking for too much though (as I'd imagine most people are).
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

So, yeah: I can overthink things.