Benedict Cumberbatch to Play Marvel's Doctor Strange

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Benedict Cumberbatch to Play Marvel's Doctor Strange

Post by Nutso »

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2014/10/be ... r-strange/
Last month Marvel revealed the release date for Doctor Strange: July 8th, 2016. Now, after many, many rumors — including the one which ultimately proved true — Deadline knows who will play the titular medical professional of unusual disposition.

It’s none other than Bandicoot Cummerbund — er, Benedict Cumberbatch we mean, the fancy-walking, “penguin”-mispronouncing, charitably-naired Brit who played Khan, Smaug, Sherlock, Alan Turing, and probably a lot of other badasses I’m forgetting.

Deadline says he’s in “final negotiations”, although I’d be surprised if it falls through now. Have they seen his Chewbacca impression?
http://deadline.com/2014/10/benedict-cu ... st-862815/
EXCLUSIVE: Marvel has finally found its Doctor Strange. I’m hearing Benedict Cumberbatch is the studio’s choice for the superhero pic, and negotiations are about to begin. The news comes after talks with Joaquin Phoenix around the time of Comic-Con went south, and Marvel went back to the drawing board. With names like Jared Leto and Tom Hardy also in the mix, this is obviously a coveted role. I expect this deal to make.

Cumberbatch is in the Oscar hunt this year for The Imitation Game, the Alan Turing biopic that the Weinstein Co is priming for a November 21 release. His hot streak has included winning the Emmy for playing Sherlock Holmes on the BBC/PBS hit Sherlock.

Phoenix never had a deal, and Marvel quickly got into it with other actors to play Doctor Strange in a free-standing film.

Scott Derrickson is directing Doctor Strange and Jon Spaihts is writing the script for the pic (the first draft was penned by Thomas Dean Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer). Doctor Strange was hatched by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko during that Marvel Comics heyday of the early 1960s. He’s a neurosurgeon who becomes Sorcerer Supreme, protecting Earth against magical and mystical threats with powers of sorcery, mysticism, and martial arts. Marvel’s Kevin Feige is producing.
Another comic character with whom I am unfamiliar(considering I read comics into my mid-twenties). I only knew him for the magic, the magnificent cape, and the glorious goatee. What's exciting is Benedict Cumberbatch but, I have only seen his work in Star Trek and as Smaug in the second Hobbit movie. It's also amazing to me that Tom Hardy, Jared Leto, and Joaquin Phoenix were after this role. This isn't a recognizable property like Batman, Superman or Spiderman.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Benedict Cumberbatch to Play Marvel's Doctor Strange

Post by Captain Seafort »

Nutso wrote:What's exciting is Benedict Cumberbatch but, I have only seen his work in Star Trek and as Smaug in the second Hobbit movie.
1) Watch Sherlock.

2) Never heard of this character, but next year sounds like it'll be busy for Cumberbatch - he's in the BBC's version of the Roses tetrarchy as well.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Nutso wrote:This isn't a recognizable property like Batman, Superman or Spiderman.
Perhaps, but for those of us familiar with Dr. Strange and th late 70's comic scene, this film is as exciting as anything in the MCU. The signing of Cummerbatch lends an idea that they will play this film for the drama for which it has the potential, rather than make it farcical and disappointing.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Mikey wrote:
Nutso wrote:This isn't a recognizable property like Batman, Superman or Spiderman.
Perhaps, but for those of us familiar with Dr. Strange and th late 70's comic scene, this film is as exciting as anything in the MCU. The signing of Cummerbatch lends an idea that they will play this film for the drama for which it has the potential, rather than make it farcical and disappointing.
I think that while it will be a more serious film... he Cumberbatch is very capable of dry humor, which would work very well in this context.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Indeed. I didn't mean to say it would be humorless, just that it wouldn't be Ryan-Reynolds-as-Deadpool wackiness.
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Isn't Doctor Strange considered to be among the most powerful?
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

He's usually referred to as "The Sorcerer Supreme," and the parallel has been made to Dr. Fate of the DC universe (of course,) but from what I recall of the comics - and bear in mind, it's been 35 years or so since I've read a Dr. Strange comic - it's hard to make the comparison to other superheroes as much of his "work" was done among other dimensions and amidst wildly inhuman supernatural and infernal entities.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

What's cool about him is how accurate his title is. His name is Stephen Strange, and is is a surgeon.

And yeah, his stuffy could get really trippy.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Mikey wrote:He's usually referred to as "The Sorcerer Supreme," and the parallel has been made to Dr. Fate of the DC universe (of course,) but from what I recall of the comics - and bear in mind, it's been 35 years or so since I've read a Dr. Strange comic - it's hard to make the comparison to other superheroes as much of his "work" was done among other dimensions and amidst wildly inhuman supernatural and infernal entities.
I do remember he was the one of the few who dealt with the supernatural instead of just super powered physical beings.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

It's official now.
http://www.slashfilm.com/benedict-cumbe ... strange-2/
After much speculation and a ton of unconfirmed reports, Marvel has finally officially announced that Benedict Cumberbatch will play Doctor Strange. We first got word that the Sherlock/Star Trek Into Darkness star was in talks to play the Sorcerer Supreme back in October. Cumberbatch got involved after Joaquin Phoenix dropped out. It seemed like each day brought a new rumor about a potentialDoctor Strange lead. Names like Ethan Hawke, Jared Leto, Ewan McGregor, Matthew McConaughey, Colin Farrell, Jake Gyllenhaal, and Oscar Isaac were all floated as well. Days later Marvel announced a November 4th 2016 release date for Scott Derrickson-directed adaptation but did not make any casting announcements. And today Marvel confirms its a done deal – Benedict Cumberbatch will play Doctor Strange. Read the full Benedict Cumberbatch Doctor Strange press release after the jump.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Great casting, IMO.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

It's nigh-perfect. In a few years, this will be to hi what Tony Stark is to Downey.