The Grand Budapest Hotel

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

The Grand Budapest Hotel

Post by Atekimogus »

Anyone seen this yet? It's a film by Wes Anderson and imho quite a pleasant surprise.

To be honest, I am not a huge fan of his films, altough I do like his style and editing I found the movies themselves, like "The Life Aquatic" or "Moonrise Kindgom" a bit......I don't know....I wouldn't say boring but definitly a bit unexciting.

The Grand Budapest Hotel however flows really well, there are no great lengths, the acting is superb and altough it isn't an in your face comdey I found myself chuckling and grinning basically throughout the whole movie, it has been quite a long time since a movie amused my as much as this one!

It has almost no CGI, the special effects are laughable and the story also isn't anything groundbreaking....but what the film definitly has - which is sadly lacking from the majortiy of films nowadays - is a huge amount of charm, soul, attention to detail and a heart. It reminded me a bit of those beloved 80s classics that are so outdated by todays standards and still are watched simply because they were made by people wanting to make great movies and not delivering a formula for a specific demographic.

Greatly recommended even if you do not like Wes Anderson films imho!
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: The Grand Budapest Hotel

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Right there with you. I've never been much of a fan of his works, they're a bit too weird for my taste. But Grand Budapest really worked for me, and I just found it a really good fun time throughout.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...