Future Classics

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Future Classics

Post by Teaos »

What movies that have been made from 2000 till now, do you think will be considered classics in 2040?

I'll start off and say Lord of the Rings (But not the Hobbit) the first huge movie of the genre. Sets, customs, locations. It set the bar.

Probably Avatar for what it did to 3D. Titanic maybe, it still seems to be hugely popular.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Future Classics

Post by McAvoy »

Titanic came out in 1997.

Lord of the Rings and Avatar definitely. Maybe the first Iron Man.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I considered Iron man, but I dont think any of the Super Hero movies will age well. Even the Dark Knight, which at the time was epic, is now getting more critical examination.

Ame with Toy Story, I'd consider it as a classic, but I dont think it will age well.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Considering the dwindling supply of taste in modernizing culture... Sharknado.

On a more serious note, I'd love to say Star Trek. Perhaps the Planet of the Apes series will hold a similar spot to the originals.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I highy Doubt Planet of the Apes will be. Remakes really never become classics.

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Watchmen.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I may be biased (see my avatar,) but in the realm of kids' films I'm going to say the How to Train Your Dragon series (series because a third movie is already in pre-pro.) While it didn't seem to create a ginormous groundswell, it did more than passably well at the box office and has subsequently spawned three seasons of a TV show and a hugely popular toy line. Critically, it was well received with the sequel garnering even more praise than the first film. The cast was great, featuring young stars of the current movie landscape as well as some established actors: Jay Baruchel, Gerard Butler, Cate Blanchett, Craig Ferguson, America Ferrera, Jonah Hill, T. J. Miller, Kristen Wiig, et. al. Finally, it is eminently re-watchable, is enjoyable by parents as well as kids, and accurately explores its subjects from the point-of-view of its teen (young adult in the sequel) protagonists.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Honestly I'm not sure any present day movies will ever be considered classics. Modern movies aren't really designed with real quality in mind - they're dominated by the need to attract demographics and have massive opening weekends, rather than having a great story, great characters, etc. That's not to say that they can't be worth watching, but real staying power? I don't know that movies today have that.

Take Guardians of the Galaxy, which I thought was awesome. Fun film, entertaining. But will people still be watching it 30 years from now? I just can't make myself believe it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But Guardians of the Galaxy isnt ground breaking, its just a fun film. Titanic, LotR and a few more really did break new ground. I'm undecided if any Pixar movies will make a difference in the long term.

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

A groundbreaking film is "Boyhood." It a decade long filming thing where the record this kid's laugh as he grows up but, it's not a documentary. Ethan Hawke's in it. Maybe someone in 2040 now will call this a masterpiece. Right now it's an experiment.
Last edited by Nutso on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

How about Tommy Wiseau's "The Room?"
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Teaos wrote:I considered Iron man, but I dont think any of the Super Hero movies will age well. Even the Dark Knight, which at the time was epic, is now getting more critical examination.

Ame with Toy Story, I'd consider it as a classic, but I dont think it will age well.
Well to be honest when it comes down to super hero movies I think the more fun it is the more it will hold up. Think about Tim Burton's Batman, that is a classic. So is the first Superman.
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

How about films becoming classics by way of nostalgia? In the 2040s a significant part of the harry potter fans will be in their 40s-60s. Would they consider the films classics bacause they grew up along with the story, almost integrating it into their process towards adolescence?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Forgot about the Harry Potter movies.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:Forgot about the Harry Potter movies.
Which really says all you need to know about whether they'll ever be classics.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.