Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: SFDebris: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen

Post by Teaos »

I dont mind Signs, was a enjoyable movie/
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

There's actually an undercurrent to several Shymalan movies of... he's not quite "anti science", but he's quite dismissive of science. That's the really weird thing about Signs and The Happening. They're a science fiction movies made by a man who doesn't seem to understand what science is and what makes it different - he seems to think that science is just one way of thinking about the world, no better or different to any other, and no more likely to be right than any other.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Graham Kennedy wrote:There's actually an undercurrent to several Shymalan movies of... he's not quite "anti science", but he's quite dismissive of science. That's the really weird thing about Signs and The Happening. They're a science fiction movies made by a man who doesn't seem to understand what science is and what makes it different - he seems to think that science is just one way of thinking about the world, no better or different to any other, and no more likely to be right than any other.
No wonder it seemed so wonky to me.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I found a quote from the Happening. Bear in mind, this is a science teacher talking...

"Science will come up with some reason to put in the books, but in the end it'll be just a theory. I mean, we will fail to acknowledge that there are forces at work beyond our understanding."

Yeah. That's what science does, alright. Just think up any old theory, put it in the books, and call it a done deal.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
McAvoy wrote:
Better than Signs IMO.
Never seen that one. Never will see that one.
How do you think Shyamalan would end an alien invasion movie?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Graham Kennedy wrote:I found a quote from the Happening. Bear in mind, this is a science teacher talking...

"Science will come up with some reason to put in the books, but in the end it'll be just a theory. I mean, we will fail to acknowledge that there are forces at work beyond our understanding."

Yeah. That's what science does, alright. Just think up any old theory, put it in the books, and call it a done deal.
Sounds like a Creationism classroom.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Perhaps "anti-scientist" rather than "anti-science"?
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Graham Kennedy wrote:I found a quote from the Happening. Bear in mind, this is a science teacher talking...

To be fair, some "scientists" do think that way. Like the ones who had "proof" that Vaccines are harmful.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

stitch626 wrote:To be fair, some "scientists" do think that way. Like the ones who had "proof" that Vaccines are harmful.
That wasn't a scientist it was a liar. He's since admitted that he lied about the whole thing.
email, ergo spam
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

IanKennedy wrote:
stitch626 wrote:To be fair, some "scientists" do think that way. Like the ones who had "proof" that Vaccines are harmful.
That wasn't a scientist it was a liar. He's since admitted that he lied about the whole thing.
This man needs to get punched multiple times, then. :madashell:
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

His name is Andrew Wakefield. He wrote that article in 1998. His shit was debunked but not before an anti-vaccination movement was formed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMR_vaccine_controversy
Investigations by Sunday Times journalist Brian Deer revealed that Wakefield had multiple undeclared conflicts of interest,[2][3] had manipulated evidence,[4] and had broken other ethical codes.
He is a son of a bitch.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Nutso wrote:His name is Andrew Wakefield. He wrote that article in 1998. His shit was debunked but not before an anti-vaccination movement was formed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MMR_vaccine_controversy
Investigations by Sunday Times journalist Brian Deer revealed that Wakefield had multiple undeclared conflicts of interest,[2][3] had manipulated evidence,[4] and had broken other ethical codes.
He is a son of a bitch.
Punched with brass knuckles, then?
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Responsible for many deaths.

I am thinking spiked brass knuckles.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:Responsible for many deaths.

I am thinking spiked brass knuckles.
Sounds good to me!

As for Age of Extinction... 165 minutes long. The Dinobots show up only in the last TWENTY!

I am buying maybe four toys from the line and that's about it.