X-Men: Days of Future Past

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: X-Men: Days of Future Past

Post by Teaos »

I never read the comics but I did watch the numerous cartoon versions of it.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

stitch626 wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:The premise of DoFP is that the first Sentinel robots were launched in the 1970s.
The ones in 1970 were a direct result of the interference by Wolverine and company. That was a change from the original timeline (where short guy was killed).
Huh? They were already there, built and ready to go. Are we supposed to believe that he built those things in the couple of days Wolverine was there?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But in the "original" time line they were never deployed. We are supposed to believe that his death caused the world governments to develop this system secretly and then deploy it, sometime around the end of The Wolverine movie.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So in the original timeline they built anti-mutant robots in the 70s, and then just left them sitting in crates for the next 20 or 30 years?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

That is not correct. In the movie, the future version, they were deployed in the 70's. Maybe not that same day, but thereabouts. They were then consistently upgraded until the ones that kept attacking the xmen in the future flashes. Also remember that the "future" time in the movie is actually "today" of that timeline.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

As I remember it you are all correct and all wrong.

They were already built but the project was shelved and wasn't going to proceed. When the attack in Paris happened, and only because that happened, they got the go ahead to turn them on. Originally it was the attempted killing of Trask that caused the project to be revived. They didn't really say how long it took to actually go live in the original time line as the robots where modified using Mystique's DNA prior to their release, which could have taken any number of years to perform. Certainly the versions we saw at the end of the movie where a far cry from those at the start.
email, ergo spam
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Side note.... the original books are from LONG before it was known that Wolverine had bone claws before the implantation.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Just got back from seeing it. Loved it, more coherent than I thought it'd be. ;)
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

That's saying something, considering the state of the last couple of X-Men films.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:That's saying something, considering the state of the last couple of X-Men films.
I know. I mean the basic plot is "Wolverine's mind is sent back in time to his younger self to prevent the mutant/human apocalypse by convincing younger Professor X and Magneto to work together in the 1970's." For me, it sounds like it should've been a lot more complicated, a lot more convoluted with a lot more exposition and whatnot. But as it was, it works!
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

It's a lean, mean script with great character moments, action and as Striker says, a coherent plot. Fantastic performances from all involved as well.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I just wish they used a different mutant to send them back in time and not Kitty, that made no sense.

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Teaos wrote:I just wish they used a different mutant to send them back in time and not Kitty, that made no sense.
I don't get it either, but apparently, she was the one in the comics who did it.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tsukiyumi wrote:lean, mean script
Tsukiyumi wrote:a coherent plot
Two things that can't normally be said of an X-Men film. While I fully intended my next comic-book based film to view in theaters to be Guardians of the Galaxy, this might merit a whirl.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

GOG just looks to... silly, to me.