From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

X-Men: Days of Future Past

Post by Teaos »

Saw it in 3D, still prefer 2D.

So... it was good, enjoyable, but forgettable. Also very different to how I expected it to go plot wise.

Although I was happy they made such a strong effort to link all 6 previous films together into a much more coherent group.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Re: X-Men: Days of Future Past

Post by Jim »

2D... drop to IMAX 3D... huge drop to "reg" 3D

I liked the movie. I never go into any genre films expecting, or even wanting, an award winner. I just want to be entertained for a couple hours and enjoy myself. This film is quite violent. Lots of death scenes.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But shockingly little blood. American censors make me giggle.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Kids over here get suspended for eating their lunch sandwiches into the shape of a gun... but they can go home and go target shoot without missing a step.

Anyway...

I wanted them to zoom in to see if Colossus had metal organs or if he was "solid"...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Yeah I though something similar, the way he moves makes me think he is made of solidish mercury, so that maybe when his shell is broken a wave of liquid silver flows out.

And next to Superman in the lattest shitfest movie, Wolverine must have the highest body count out of any good guy. And he doesnt kill bad guys, he kills anyone in his way, usually just guards who are earning an honest days wage to feed the wife and kids.

IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Saw it at the weekend and it seemed fine for what it was. Not bad, however, I don't see how it fits with the scene at the end of The Wolverine (the one set in Japan) at all. In that he is met by Prof Xavier and Magneto where they say they need him for something. Here he's the one that gets them together and knows more than they do. Just don't fit.
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The premise of DoFP is that the first Sentinel robots were launched in the 1970s. That doesn't fit in with ANY of the X Men movies - even if the Sentinels confined themselves purely to mutants, no mutant is ever worried about killer robots pouncing on them in The Wolverine or any previous film. And the whole "we have a big problem" at the end of The Wolverine can't really be to do with that if it's been going on for decades at that point, right?

Plus, the future we see in DoFP looks like a crapsack world where the Sentinels have destroyed most everything. That's nothing like the world at the end of The Wolverine, which is identical to our own real world.

But this is nothing new, really. The X Men movies have always sucked at continuity.

Anyway, I enjoyed it well enough. Not a great film, but an pretty solid one.

One thing I found interesting was that they cast Dinklage in a prominent role without it appearing to be any kind of "small person" niche role... in the comics Trask wasn't a small person, and in the film they never called attention to it or mentioned it in any way. So there was no reason to do it other than that they thought Dinklage would be good in the role / would have box office draw. I thought it was a very nice aspect that they had "blind" casting like that.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

IanKennedy wrote:Saw it at the weekend and it seemed fine for what it was. Not bad, however, I don't see how it fits with the scene at the end of The Wolverine (the one set in Japan) at all. In that he is met by Prof Xavier and Magneto where they say they need him for something. Here he's the one that gets them together and knows more than they do. Just don't fit.
They don't really have anything to do with each other. At the end of Wolverine he has his original bone claws as the metal ones were cut off. In the future of DoFP he has metal claws.

In the books, I do not recall his claws ever getting cut off, but Magneto did remove ALL of the metal from him once. He eventually got it back but I was not reading by then.

Anyway... At the end of The Wolverine is is current time, and there are no Sentinels. In DoFP the Sentinels started in the 70's. The "future" part of DoFP is actually the present (2013/2014). So you would have to look at it as the events in The Wolverine and the "future" parts of DoFP as happening at the same time, and the two "worlds" are obviously extremely different.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Graham Kennedy wrote:But this is nothing new, really. The X Men movies have always sucked at continuity.
Comic books in general don't care too much for continuity.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Graham Kennedy wrote:The premise of DoFP is that the first Sentinel robots were launched in the 1970s.
No.

Sentinels were first released in modern time, the research started in the 60s-70s.

The ones in 1970 were a direct result of the interference by Wolverine and company. That was a change from the original timeline (where short guy was killed).

My only big question is... how did modern day Wolverine (pre timeline change) get back his metal claws...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Magneto bonded them on?

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'd assume that it was an alternate timeline to start with. The events of this film led to the timeline we're familiar with from the other movies.

I haven't seen it yet, but that seems logical to me.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

X-Men... i enjoy you, but you have the worst continuity out of any movie series.

Now they have re-set essentially, hopefully they can do better.

Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

stitch626 wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:The premise of DoFP is that the first Sentinel robots were launched in the 1970s.
No.

Sentinels were first released in modern time, the research started in the 60s-70s.

The ones in 1970 were a direct result of the interference by Wolverine and company. That was a change from the original timeline (where short guy was killed).

My only big question is... how did modern day Wolverine (pre timeline change) get back his metal claws...
You are incorrect. In the movie, the 70's "past" portion is only a few days long and the Sentinels were already built. At one point Trask says, "It's going to cost a lot to turn them on" not to build them, but to turn them on, because they were already built.

In the alternate/original timeline, the killing of Trask by Mystique only made the humans much more willing to accept the Sentinels going around killing muties, and also accept their further development/upgrades. It also allowed the humans to get Mystique's DNA and thus allowing the development of the adaptive Sentinels of the future (current).

In the original comics the Sentinels first appeared in the 60's with no time travel involvement.

Wolverine's claws... In the "future" timeline... Stryker had been involved in the Sentinel program, Mystique would have killed Trask and the Sentinel program would have gone into overdrive to kill all of the mutants... So, I would have thought that Stryker would probably never have been begun the Weapon-X program as he would have had the Sentinels killing all of the mutants. Therefore Wolverine would never have gotten the adamantium. But Wolverine DID have the claws, so Stryker must have moved forward with the Weapon-X program parallel to the Sentinel program.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Teaos wrote:X-Men... i enjoy you, but you have the worst continuity out of any movie series.

Now they have re-set essentially, hopefully they can do better.
It is just like the comic books.

WE are Earth-616. If you look at this link for Wolverine, you will see page after page of "Alternate Reality Versions" that have been a one story or another, but that do not fit into the main ongoing Marvel Universe for one reason or another. http://marvel.wikia.com/Wolverine

You get used to it.