Thor 2

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Thor 2

Post by McAvoy »

Just watched it on Blu Ray last night. Not a bad movie. Though honestly it kinda felt like Hellboy 2. Don't know why.

On the Blu Ray which is the second time I have seen it, there are one shot short films on a certain character. I think in the Iron Man 3 Blu Ray they had that beautiful big breasted British chick from Captain America. In Thor 2, they had the fake Mandarin in prison. Not going to tell you the ending though.

I have noticed that in the movies, they dial down Thor's strength considerably. In the comics he was nearly comparable to Superman. In the movies, he has massive strength but seems to be on the order of a few tons at best.

Thor 2 has more comedy than is usual for Marvel film.
About time they level a city that is not in the US. You Brits got the pounding this time.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Re: Thor 2

Post by Jim »

Superman is a pansy.

Thor, Iran Man and Hulk all have the 100 ton range. In Avengers Thor fights both Iron Man and Hulk, including holding up Hulks arm. They just did not have many situations in the movies that require "excessive" strength.

I think that they are trying to make the Marvel movie "fun" as well as cool or interesting or what not. That way people will get more overall enjoyment out of them and want to see all of the connecting movies. They are going a different direction than the DC movies (Batman and Superman)
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Personally I found Thor 2 to have decent mix of comedy and seriousness. I really liked the more in depth view of Asgard.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

I think this on was let down by the villain. He was really the only MCU villain who felt evil for the sake of evil, bar maybe the Red Skull. I wish the did more with the fact the elves couldn't survive in this universe and develop the villain rather than cut those scenes in favor of more joking to draw in the fangirls
Bite my shiny metal ass
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Can't edit it on my phone but that should be Loki not joking
Bite my shiny metal ass
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah, I liked it... but Malekith seemed a bit too flat to me.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Me too. I have no idea of his reasoning beyond he likes it dark.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I'll get him some venetian blinds, then. ;)
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

He does say it has to do with the survival of his race.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Jim wrote:Superman is a pansy.

Thor, Iran Man and Hulk all have the 100 ton range. In Avengers Thor fights both Iron Man and Hulk, including holding up Hulks arm. They just did not have many situations in the movies that require "excessive" strength.

I think that they are trying to make the Marvel movie "fun" as well as cool or interesting or what not. That way people will get more overall enjoyment out of them and want to see all of the connecting movies. They are going a different direction than the DC movies (Batman and Superman)
Iron Man definitely isn't that strong. He appears to have sufficient strength to push cars around. All of the movie characters appear to not have their comicbook counterparts strength.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Well, Hulk played with tanks as if they were toys. Thor managed to hold Hulk back for a bit (making Thor at least as strong as Hulk) and Iron Man went toe to toe with Thor and only had some minor scrapes/dents (making him close in strength to Thor). Therefore, they are all decently strong, though how strong we only have a lower limit for (however much Hulk pulled around) and nothing for upper limit.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

The damage Thor did to Iron Man was anything but minor. He was crushing his gauntlets and overwhelming Iron Man in brute strength. Iron Man just had extra tricks up his sleeves.

Also let's keep in mind that is hard to gauge Hulk's strength as his strength increases with how angry he gets. He did smash those giant flying robot dragon things in The Avengers.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Good movie on the whole, but it has some flaws:

Somehow Thor and the Portman character (I don't even remember her name.....Jane? Janine? so boring) have no chemistry whatsoever. Sif or Darcy have more character and would have been better matches imho. For Gods Sake she TASERED the god of THUNDER! In normal Hollywood universes that would make them fated to each other :D (Can you imagine the lip Darcy would have given Odin for talking down to her? Missed comedy opportunity right there....)

It's way to spread out over far to many minor characters imho. Thor+entourage+asgardians, Portman + entourage + professor gone cuckoo, all with very little screen-time, Loki, Dark Elves + Malekith.....less would have been more imho

Loki's motivation is a bit unclear to me. Part of what makes him interesting is that he always seemed like a redeemable character having at least a few (twisted) morals but considering the ending.....seems to go the plain vanilla evil route...

It's good entertainment, but imho Iron Man 1 and Avengers still are the two best entries so far.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

You talking about Loki's motivation during the majority of the movie or at the end? because while they were different, I felt they were rather clear.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I think overall it was vengeance, but Loki plans on the fly.

Also, Iron Man and Thor? Iron Man headbutts Thor and the Asgardian shakes it off. Other way around and there's a huge dent in Stark's helmet.