Thor 2

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Thor 2

Post by Atekimogus »

stitch626 wrote:You talking about Loki's motivation during the majority of the movie or at the end? because while they were different, I felt they were rather clear.
I don't know....I am just not sure what his endgame is supposed to be. Yeah he wants to be king and all that but what for? To me it seemed he mostly wanted to rule to gain the approval of his parents (I mean that's what he basically is, an Ice giant with daddy issues), so him doing a regicide....I don't know....felt out of character to me.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I'm not sure Loki knows what his endgame is. [/dead_serious]
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Atekimogus wrote:
stitch626 wrote:You talking about Loki's motivation during the majority of the movie or at the end? because while they were different, I felt they were rather clear.
I don't know....I am just not sure what his endgame is supposed to be. Yeah he wants to be king and all that but what for? To me it seemed he mostly wanted to rule to gain the approval of his parents (I mean that's what he basically is, an Ice giant with daddy issues), so him doing a regicide....I don't know....felt out of character to me.
Or putting Odin to sleep, so Loki can run Asgard and prove that he is a good king. Thor is stuck on Earth, Frigg is caring for Odin, so Loki is the only one left from the royal family. The entire time Loki has been the thinker, long-term plannet, behind the scenes, plotting, etc, while Thor smashes things and gets the glory. I can see why he would want a chance to prove that he would be a good king.

Even at the end of the first movie, Thor is good because he only wants to beat up Frost Giants one at a time, while Loki is going to solve the problem entirely, and make the Nine Realms free forever. But because it is done via WMD, Loki is bad.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Coalition wrote:
Atekimogus wrote:
Or putting Odin to sleep, so Loki can run Asgard and prove that he is a good king. Thor is stuck on Earth, Frigg is caring for Odin, so Loki is the only one left from the royal family. The entire time Loki has been the thinker, long-term plannet, behind the scenes, plotting, etc, while Thor smashes things and gets the glory. I can see why he would want a chance to prove that he would be a good king.

Even at the end of the first movie, Thor is good because he only wants to beat up Frost Giants one at a time, while Loki is going to solve the problem entirely, and make the Nine Realms free forever. But because it is done via WMD, Loki is bad.
I don't question his motivation in the first movie, since it makes perfect sense. He want's to prove that he would be better king than his brother. But as of the second movie....there is noone left he can prove it to. Frigg is dead and he killed off Odin and Thor+Entourage won't forgive him that if they ever find out.

So maybe he can keep the sharade with him posing as odin up indefinitly, but since everyone would think it's Odin...again, what's the point for Loki? Doesn't strike me as the type being content playing a grey eminence. He WANTS people to know that it is HE, who is capable and a better king. So killing of his father was, imho way out of character as well as impersonating the one character he always strived to make his own, eg being king.
Ah well, time will tell what is next.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I should point out Loki's little 'joke' in the beginning of the movie ended with two dead guards and the frost giants almost getting the Casket back. That's pretty sadistic IMHO.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Portman is either mailing them in, or was never was that good of an actress.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I think its just she doesn't fit for this role...
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I thought she was quite good in V for Vendetta, but I agree that she could be swapped for any number of other actresses in this role. I just don't find the character particularly interesting, especially in this film; the writing for Jane could be part of the problem here.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
katefan
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by katefan »

I agree with what others said regarding the elves in this movie. You have this tremendous actor in Christopher Eccleston and he just seems to be stuck in the background. I don't think it was a bad movie and it had it's moments, and it certainly isn't as bad as Iron Man II. I just think compromises were made in the writing and editing to cater to the Loki fans and the movie suffered overall as a result.