What book would you like to see moviefied?

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

What book would you like to see moviefied?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

For me, it's always been Rendezvous with Rama. That was the first sci fi book I ever read, and I think done right it could be really awesome in terms of spectacle. Though I think there would be an irresistible temptation to alter it to give it more of a "story". The whole point of Rama was that the was no resolution... in the end we learn all but nothing about Rama, and nothing at all about it's origin, destination, or purpose. Which is exactly how it would be, because our encounter with Rama was about like some cave men watching a 747 fly past at low level. They can goggle at it in wonder, and they might make some guesses about it, but those guesses are going to stem from their own context. They'll be thinking it's a giant bird or monster or god or something... with no hope of every really understanding what they see.

But I suspect a director would want some sort of resolution, explanation. Which is actually where the sequels went, and what makes them so terrible IMO.

What books would you like to see as movies?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: What book would you like to see moviefied?

Post by Teaos »

Maybe not a movie, but a good budgeted TV show like Game of Thrones, I'd like to see Jim Butchers "Dresden Files" be produced. They had a go at it a few years ago but the production was god aweful. The way the book series is made it is idealy suited for TV, not so much movies as it covers to much time.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Stephen King's The Dark Tower series. JJ Abrams had the rights a few years ago, but he optioned them to Ron Howard, who was damn serious about making it happen; he had a plan for a movie, followed by a tv series with the same cast, then another movie, another series, and a final movie to wrap it up. Great idea, but the studio balked at a few million extra he wanted, and kept prodding him to just make three movies and drop the tv deal. So, it's a no-go for now.

Also, Lovecraft's At The Mountains of Madness, which Guillermo del Toro wanted to make; studios balked at the $250 million price tag for an epic sci-horror with no romance and a "bad" ending, but he is supposedly still pushing for it.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I would love Rama also. I often thought it would be too slow for a Movie but then Gravity was released and all bets are off.
email, ergo spam
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Teaos wrote:Maybe not a movie, but a good budgeted TV show like Game of Thrones
This is probably the best way to go about converting doorstoppers to live action - the good ones are usually too densely plotted to fit into a couple of hours. For this format, I'd like to see Matter, as a stand-alone film, The Player of Games or Use of Weapons.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Teaos wrote:Maybe not a movie, but a good budgeted TV show like Game of Thrones, I'd like to see Jim Butchers "Dresden Files" be produced. They had a go at it a few years ago but the production was god aweful. The way the book series is made it is idealy suited for TV, not so much movies as it covers to much time.
Seconded.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Teaos wrote:Maybe not a movie, but a good budgeted TV show like Game of Thrones, I'd like to see Jim Butchers "Dresden Files" be produced. They had a go at it a few years ago but the production was god aweful. The way the book series is made it is idealy suited for TV, not so much movies as it covers to much time.
Seconded.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Teaos wrote:Maybe not a movie, but a good budgeted TV show like Game of Thrones
This is probably the best way to go about converting doorstoppers to live action - the good ones are usually too densely plotted to fit into a couple of hours. For this format, I'd like to see Matter, as a stand-alone film, The Player of Games or Use of Weapons.
Use of Weapons would be fun, but the twist would be pretty much impossible to conceal in a movie.

Now Player of Games could be fun... but from Banks, honestly I think Consider Phlebas would make the best movie. It's very cinematic, full of visual spectacle and action. I bet they'd change the title, though!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:Use of Weapons would be fun, but the twist would be pretty much impossible to conceal in a movie.
I think it would be doable.
Just have different actors playing the older and younger versions of Elethiomel and Zakalwe
I bet they'd change the title, though!
I'd hope not.

Gentile or Jew. O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

The John Carter books, and I'm not talking about the meh attempts so far.

The Foundation series... though that would be difficult as a movie and may be better as a TV series.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Varthikes »

Besides mine, of course...

I'm still waiting on the film adaptation of Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern.

I'd like to see some of David Weber's Honor Harrington books be made into movies. I've only read the first book of the Star Kingdom trilogy, so far, but what I've read I really enjoyed. Also, Alan Dean Foster's Humanx Commonwealth books.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Varthikes wrote:I'm still waiting on the film adaptation of Anne McCaffrey's Dragonriders of Pern.
That would be amazing if done correctly.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939