Next Man of Steel Cast

From 2001 to Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Next Man of Steel Cast

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So we've all heard that the next Man of Steel movie will feature Ben Affleck as Batman...

And also will feature Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman...

Well now we have some more casting news... no less than Jeremy Irons will be appearing as Alfred!

And.. brace yourself... Jesse Eisenberg as Lex Luthor!

So what say you?

Honestly Affleck didn't bother me all that much. He's capable of doing good work, and I would assume that he's really going to give it his all for this movie. Could work, could fail. We'll see.

Gal Gadot isn't Wonder Woman. She just isn't. You can go back and forth on this... the comics have shown WW as being everything from just a normal girl, to the "skinny huge chested" Lynda Carter, to "athletic fitness model" type. I don't think I've ever seen her being shown as the sort of stick insect Gadot seems to be, though. Perhaps she will be able to bulk up a little for the role or something, but as far as I'm concerned there is a big credibility gap here.

Irons... I kind of like. He can do the diffident thing well, and he can do intense well. He's the right kind of age, and I could see him being a good Alfred.

Eisenberg... really? I can see what they're going for here, with Lex as a kind of Superman mirror who is not at all physically threatening, but is rather an intellectual enemy. But... well, I am dubious. We will see, I guess.

What's your thoughts, internet?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Next Man of Steel Cast

Post by Teaos »

To me Wonder woman is an Amazon, 6 foot tall and athletic, not rippling muscle, but just healthy and athletic.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I have a bad feeling about this.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Teaos wrote:To me Wonder woman is an Amazon, 6 foot tall and athletic, not rippling muscle, but just healthy and athletic.
Agreed. My mental image of her is along the lines of Gina Carano :

Though after seeing her in Haywire (a film that could be subtitled 'Gina Carano beats up men'), I don't think she's a particularly good actress.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I can not get behind any movie (story) where Lex Luthor is the villain. It's superman... the apex being (for the most part) and his villain is a... smart guy that doesn't like him... WOW!!! LOOK OUT!!! zzzzzzzzz
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Teaos wrote:To me Wonder woman is an Amazon, 6 foot tall and athletic, not rippling muscle, but just healthy and athletic.
Agreed. My mental image of her is along the lines of Gina Carano :

Though after seeing her in Haywire (a film that could be subtitled 'Gina Carano beats up men'), I don't think she's a particularly good actress.
And Ms Gadot is? Not being sarcastic here, just never heard of her but from what I gather she is a/former model? Doesn't have to mean much, but I remain sceptical as to her acting qualities. Also, as model, I find it doubtful they will make her work on her physique. She'll get some padding but will probably remain a stick figure....shame. I doubt Wonder Woman will have much screen-time anyhow, so at least they could have gotten someone who LOOKS the part! Should have just hired a fitness-model, not a sceleton-model but god forbid a woman in hollywood shows some muscle.

As for the rest, I can see Jeremy Irons as Alfred....but Eisenberg....isn't he a bit young to play Luthor? Now I cannot really say if he's a good actor or not, the movies I've seen him with he basically was always the same character.......

Well it might work, all I can say is that I didn't like Man of Steel very much (boring, forgettable nonsense without story) and that I remain sceptical, but not so much because of the casting but more because I doubt they are able to make an interesting movie with a good story.

In the end, I guess I won't really care that much if Affleck is Batman, Wonderwoman a stick-figure and Luthor far to young for the role as long as the story is interesting, sensical and suspensful. We'll see....
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Atekimogus wrote:And Ms Gadot is? Not being sarcastic here, just never heard of her but from what I gather she is a/former model? Doesn't have to mean much, but I remain sceptical as to her acting qualities. Also, as model, I find it doubtful they will make her work on her physique. She'll get some padding but will probably remain a stick figure....shame. I doubt Wonder Woman will have much screen-time anyhow, so at least they could have gotten someone who LOOKS the part! Should have just hired a fitness-model, not a sceleton-model but god forbid a woman in hollywood shows some muscle.
I don't have a clue. IMDB lists a bunch of acting credits, one or two of which I've seen, but I have no memory of her in those so I guess they were small parts.

Perhaps she did a really amazing audition and blew everyone away? Who knows.
As for the rest, I can see Jeremy Irons as Alfred....but Eisenberg....isn't he a bit young to play Luthor? Now I cannot really say if he's a good actor or not, the movies I've seen him with he basically was always the same character.......
I guess the image I have in mind is that it's going to be like that facebook movie, only evil. Luthor has usually been depicted as taking over a giant corporation that's a family business, hasn't he? I wonder if this time he's going to be one of these instant millionaires who gets rich fast at a young age by inventing the internet or whatever.
Well it might work, all I can say is that I didn't like Man of Steel very much (boring, forgettable nonsense without story)
Right there with you.
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

GrahamKennedy wrote: Right there with you.
The problem with them imho is that they just don't have a plan and no balls. Compare to Marvel. They make an Ironman movie which is a success. Seing that they start a whole franchise which a clear plan on introducing each character and finishing with a ensemble piece. Everything is clearly and conscientiously planned through, so it doesn't really matter that much that you have some stronger and some weaker movies.

Now DC on the other hand, they are all over the place. Make a Superman Movie that sucks. So they reboot it with a Superman movie that sucks even more. Inbetween they made a Batman Triology which didn't suck (at least 2/3 not) but which isn't part of the new continuity apparently, since for that Batman is rebooted, however not in his own movie but as sideshow to the Emo-Superman.

All the while they still haven't figured out how to make an interesting superhero-movie staring a female lead, while Marvel is at the same time busily working on a film starring - from what I gather - a tree and a raccon. :roll:

As I said.....no plan and no creative muscle, that is why we get all those sucky movies that look good on trailers, but not much else.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The way Marvel built up an interconnected set of franchises was extremely smart. The little touches in each film linking them to another - so for example the serum Captain America takes is the same one they give to the soldier guy in the Hulk movie, and Captain America's shield is in Tony Stark's basement. And the little teasers at the end of the films linking one to another. Putting the actors on long term deals so they would have them for three, four, five, six movies.

And most importantly, a consistent tone. Every Marvel movie has a tone that goes with the rest, so you really can imagine the Hulk existing in the same universe as Captain America and Iron Man.

DC has done none of this. I often say, imagine the Nolan Batman in the Man of Steel movie. Yeah, I know they're rebooting it, but just as an example... you have this, gritty, dark, real world based Batman whose enemies are organised crime. And then one day a bunch of Kryptonians show up and start destroying the city. What could Batman possibly do to have even the slightest effect on that situation? If he tried, he'd get his ass killed right quick. Or conversely, imagine Superman being in any of the Batman movies. He'd resolve it in about fifteen seconds flat. Because the gritty realistic world and the superhero world just don't go together.

From what I've heard, their idea is to do a "Marvel in reverse". Rather than introduce the characters in several different films and then make a Justice League movie, the are planning to do a Justice League movie and then try and spin off the characters into their own films. I can't see it working, really.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

The Marvel Cinematic Universe is like the old DC animated Universe of Batman: TAS and its successors. It's connected, but you don't have to know what happened in other movies to get it.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Wait, they're trying to introduce both Wonder Woman and Batman, all while keeping it a Superman Sequel? I can't see this going well, and that's coming from someone who quite enjoyed Man of Steel.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Griffin wrote:Wait, they're trying to introduce both Wonder Woman and Batman, all while keeping it a Superman Sequel? I can't see this going well, and that's coming from someone who quite enjoyed Man of Steel.
Weirdness abounds.

One thing I wonder is, are we going to get origin stories on the new Batman and Wonder Woman? Telling an origin story properly takes around 45 minutes to an hour, so doing both Batman and Wonder Woman's would fill up the whole film, pretty much, and it would be kind of awkward to be cutting from one to the other. So are they going to skip the origins and just have Batman and Wonder woman there, as if they had been there all along? I guess there's no real rule that says you have to introduce a superhero with an origin story, but it's pretty standard.

But if not, I wonder how they will handle it. Will there just be a bit of exposition? "Oh, him? That's Batman, he fights crime..." or maybe flashbacks?

Either way, introducing both Batman, Wonder Woman and Lex Luthor all in the same film doesn't sound at all promising to me. It smells of the mess they made in Spider Man 3 where they cluttered up the plot with too much stuff.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Which is why Avengers was great. They had movies where they were introduced so they in the movie they didn't spend too much time, maybe a minute if none at all of introducing the characters.

I think DC doesn't want to copy Marvel's method. So they are going full out.

Problem is I just don't like the idea of rebooted Batman so soon after Dark Knight Rises who supposedly died at the end of the movie. Superman in Man of Steel isn't Superman yet. He hasn't done anything yet that makes him anything like the Superman we know. I mean he was Superman in the beginning for one minute before Zod came in and leveled a huge portion of the city and seriously damaged Smallville.

Wonder Woman would be hard to do. Perhaps even harder than Thor.

I don't like this Lex Luthor. I thought Breaking Bad Bryan Cranston would have been Lex Luthor. Imagine a serious, ruthless, no nonsense Luthor played by that guy. That would have worked IMO.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

GrahamKennedy wrote:
Griffin wrote:Wait, they're trying to introduce both Wonder Woman and Batman, all while keeping it a Superman Sequel? I can't see this going well, and that's coming from someone who quite enjoyed Man of Steel.
Weirdness abounds.

One thing I wonder is, are we going to get origin stories on the new Batman and Wonder Woman? Telling an origin story properly takes around 45 minutes to an hour, so doing both Batman and Wonder Woman's would fill up the whole film, pretty much, and it would be kind of awkward to be cutting from one to the other. So are they going to skip the origins and just have Batman and Wonder woman there, as if they had been there all along? I guess there's no real rule that says you have to introduce a superhero with an origin story, but it's pretty standard.
Or this could be a very very smart way to dodge a bullet. A Batman origin story isn't really needed since everyone knows it already. It's why I loathed the new spiderman movie, yeah he get's bitten by a radioactive spider...how many different iterations are there necessary?

And as for Wonder Woman.....now all I know about the character is basically from the animated series but let's be honest, her origin story just doesn't work nowadays. Pretty much the whole character doesn't work anymore imho. Being the ambassador of a bunch of man-hating amazons bringing peace to the world of men? In this day and age of gender equality? What would be her point really?

The point of an origin story would be to introduce a character and making the audience get to care for her. That's though with Wonder Woman since - again only remembering Justice Leage Animated Series - she starts out as an arrogant, smug, superior dick. Now that's not an issue with a series since there is room for character development........one movie probably isn't enough time for that.

Better to skip the possible alienating background altogether then and just have her be a cool superhero fighting villains. Everyone knows her anyhow better to keep the background fuzzy since....let's be honest, that is some mad shit.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah, there's a number of people on other message boards and in RL that I've talked to that don't want or need origin stories for Batman or Wonder Woman or for a lot of other superheroes. Last son of Krypton, orphan with murdered parents, Amazon. We've heard it quite literally dozens of times already!